Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Dusts Headers

OK, i've been working two nights and two days on the exhaust. i can now cut 30,60,120,180,45,90,135 angles in 2.5, 3, 4 inch radius ubends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90 cut.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	618.4 KB
ID:	4546  Click image for larger version

Name:	90degree.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	4547  Click image for larger version

Name:	90UB.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	654.4 KB
ID:	4548  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubeallangle.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	4549  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubeanglecut.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	671.8 KB
ID:	4550  

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

I also made a clamp which, in final form, as the one pictured had to be modified to work, clamps the tube in place while trying to come up with the correct lengths in the alloted space.

Each tube is supposed to be 21 inches, well, when you subtract the 1.5 extension that converts the tubes from 1.5 to 1.75 inches and a look at the merge collector shows a 1.5 inch area before the collectyion begins - that leaves just 18 inches. NOT much room, the first cylender just gets a 4 inch 1/4 ubend and then a straight pipe, the next two are 6.5 inches further towards the firewall. the geometry is very, very tricky, but now that i have some angles cut and can cut many many more dead nuts on and a way to clamp them together while test fiting - the job will progress.

Does not look like much for 2 nights and 2 days - but - thats what havin to figure out is - lynn - how you cut tube and clamp it together?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clamp work2.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	608.7 KB
ID:	4551  Click image for larger version

Name:	clampweld.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	612.9 KB
ID:	4552  Click image for larger version

Name:	tubescut.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	4553  Click image for larger version

Name:	clampwork.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	574.7 KB
ID:	4554  Click image for larger version

Name:	clampwork1.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	4555  

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well, i am in full attack mode on the exhaust. spent days and nights makin the clamps - 20 of them and...and... they don't work. so

heck with em, spent today cutin and figurin, after findin out my invention just plane does not work and i now have 2 of the three or more precisely, 4 of the 6 tubes designed!!! They come out to .5 inches to the same length. I'll take it.

18 inches is just not much to work with, at times i contemplated going to 21 inches longer, but did not stop, I'm sure the last one should go quicker, it requires more bends that the other two and that actually makes it easier
dust

Old 01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

WELL - ITS SAGGING AS THE CLAMPS oops caps lock, i worked so hard on don't work and the aluminum tape that rv6jguy suggested works, but sags, but with the addition of 2 1 inch spacers on the rightmodst one - they are all within 1.5 inches and will go into the 3 into 1

whew PIA to do it half arse - don't know about being able to di it out of the 321
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EXHAUST.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	664.3 KB
ID:	4543  Click image for larger version

Name:	EXHAUST2.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	4544  Click image for larger version

Name:	EXHAUST3.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	636.6 KB
ID:	4545  
dust

Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the stock cessna exhaust and my tuned header - tuned header is compact and way smaller considering that the stock one continues all the way around the engine to pick up the other three ports and all tubes would be running at 1400F continuos.

How bout dem holes - a stack of em - i just love popping them in with a punch instead of a drill. clean, burr free, fast holes in 1/16th SS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pstock.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	2380  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pheader.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	2381  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pholes.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	2382  
dust

Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dusts Headers

Well, back to the headers now, have to pull them out of the box i put them in and figure out the ubends in 321 SS 2.5", 3" and 4" mandrel bends

they been in there for 3.5 YEARS, thankfully they are prototyped, it was hell figuring them out
dust

Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

well, over the weekend i took out the rusty 2001 header prototypes to figure out what bends i need, simpler than i thought, i wrote down and could read through the rust what each bend radius was, added em all up and am ordering them now

if anyone needs 321 bends or/and straights, tell me and i can add it to the order and maybe get a better prices
dust

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

well, if i just wanted to turn all of the exhaust to one direction i would need 3 ubends, 3 90's per side, one 90 per cylinder.

my almost equal length headers use 6.5 u bends, can't wait to cut em and weld em and move on
dust

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well, Turbos finally came yesterday and unfortunately my grand kids left today and fortunately my office is busy as all get out till july 31.

The work will continue
dust

Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Plumbing the controls on the Turbos is gonna be a PIA, vacuum lines from manifold to the electronic boost solenoid, from the solenoid to the turbo actuator.

brackets, tubing, etc, etc

more to come, way more, probably toooooooo much
dust

Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

50 bucks a flange, 50 bucks! gotta have them and am toooooo lazy to make em, orderred
dust

Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

small progress, but continual progress. After numerous calls to various suppliers, Burns Stainless has my rectangular inlet flanges and will form a rect to round 321 tube to fit both of them. Hammer form. I'm sure thier work will impress me.

Order is in, 5 2.5" 16 gauge ubends, 1 3" and 1 4" ubend, all 1.75" diameter

2 3 foot sections of 321 2" straight 16 gauge and 1 2.5" 2" diameter ubend

Can't wait to get em and cut em up and install them on the engine and then hang the engine.

I knows the order by heart
dust

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Burns called, the flanges arrived, the rect 1 3/4 X 2 3/8 to 2" round stubb was hammer formed and welded to the flange and my 321 ubends and flanges with stubbs and straights are on the way.

Feel great about the exhaust, properly sized, proper material, proper slip joints. Now they need proper cutting and welding.

Now to cut and have welded together and install on engine.

Once i get the headers on then i can hang the engine and figure out how to hang the turbos and finish the exhaust and install the intercoolers and

just keep on a goin
dust

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Well, no work done but parts are in and they are beautiful, too bad no one will ever see them, they will be totally shielded from view, even when the cowl is off.

Small steps keep the plane construction goin
dust

Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Well, no work done but parts are in and they are beautiful, too bad no one will ever see them, they will be totally shielded from view, even when the cowl is off.

Small steps keep the plane construction goin

Make your cowl out of transparent aluminum. Didn't you see one of the Star Trec movies Spock??