Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dusts Headers

no problem, but the headers will be covered by SS and that will be covered by silicone mat.

Do you know a source or a Science Fiction Source of see through SS and Silicone Mat?

Wait a minute, the silicone mat is to stop radiant heat so the clear silicone mat has to stop radiant heat from passing.

Wait, the clear SS will have to do the same.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Well, after a 2 week search for a welder at a price i was willing to pay, well a little more than i thought i was willing to pay, and i have a welder with square wave technology.

Dam shop is looking like a metal working shop, MIG, TIG, Arc (part of the TIG) and i borrowed oxyacetylene from Neverquit, to anneal the aluminum cover for the IM

I also just realized the welding sequence, i'll, well my buddy the prof welder will tack, the header out of mild steel except will not attach it to the 321 coned flanges and then we can replace a tube at a time with the 321 clamped with my fancy new clamps to insure proper fit to the 3 into 1 merge collector.

Let the welding begin
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Well, Saturday was spent wiring the welder into the garage, 4/3 cable with STRAIN RELIEF. heh heh heh, electricians known about it, how come most airplane builders do not!

The strain relief fittings were $18.00 each.

Did test welds Saturday as i have no consumables to do actual welds, only 1/2 a tungsten for steel and filler rod just for 321 and 6061.

Now i need a 3/32 collet for the torch, 2 kinds of tungsten's and 2 sizes of each, 1/16 and 3/32.

Does the set up never end! I wanna make parts
dust

Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

TWO HOURS last night to get the horizontal band saw cutting square and true in both directions.

Now I can finally make money cuts in the 321 SS tube

i sure am tired of preparing to make stuff.

also tested my jig for cutting legs off the ubends or cutting a ubend in half for 2 90's. put the 4" bend in, scratched it in the cut line, took it out and flipped it, made another scratch line, took it out

looked for the scratches, one scratch, it is set up dead center, good to go
dust

Last edited by Dust : 09-17-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 AM

band saw ? wow thats a blade, to bad it will cut to the left after an inch or to of cutting. (the chips of SS will stick to the shoe and dull the inner side of the blade)
i like a table saw with a thin fiber disk.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thats tools fer you, everyone always has a favorite way.

My band saw blade is nearly new, it will cut the SS just fine

Making a jig to hold the ubend on the table saw would be a PIA
dust

Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Good news and bad news on the headers.

Tube 1 id perfect, tube 3 is perfect, tube 2 is 45 degrees off. thats what happens when you prototype with aluminum tape.

The welding/metal work table is done , weighs a ton, 1/4 plate top, wheels to roll it and store it over the welder to save space.

I figured out how to do the calculations this time, it is additive, first one is 90 degrees, second one is going to be over 45, back 45 forward 135 and back over 45, = 90 degrees. third one is over 45, back 90, forward 180 and over 45, = 90 degrees. Simple once you get it.

change lengths with different size bends and spacers.

Very hard to comprehend, but simple once you get it, all my angles net out to 90
dust

Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

WENT INTO THE SHOP LAST NIGHT, opps caps lock, calculated the lengths of each tube, tube 1 and 2 are within 1/10 inch and tube 3 is 1.25 inches short, that is easily fixed by extendinf the two spacers that are already on the 180 ubend, piece of cake.

all three will end up being +- .25 inch, once i make final adjustments for position, near perfect

F"N FINALLY

Called Burns, they will gladly swap my 3 inch bend for a 2.5 inch ubend, just need to ship it.whew.
dust

Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well i thought i had the system done till i got the handy dandy clamps, i was wrong, have had to rework the middle pipe and it is a PIA because changing any bend causes 2 plane changes in location. nearly done, just need to try a 20 degree bend where i now have a 25 degree bend.

also checked the exhaust for shielding clearance from the bed mount motor mount. not good, i will have to add a 5 or so degree bend at each port to bend the exhaust away from the motor mount to allow for proper shielding.

Glad i rechecked
dust

Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Well, i'm bumed, the middle pipe is 4" too short, the other two are perfect. Just can't easily fix it as it would lower the exhaust.

Screw it, went to the hanger today and started cutting the 321, 1/2 done.

Also rn into a conflict with the motor mount, have to attach a 5 degree wedge to allow proper clearance.

Stopped by metal mart, a steel and aluminum warehouse close by, and looked at the various gauges of SS. Picked 26 gauge, heavy enough hold the various shapes i am going to ask of it, quit light. I'll use it on the firewall, wing root and exhaust, good to go.

Also looked at my home made sheet metal brake, it currently has a 3/8 rod as a bending surface, am going to add a 1/4 inch piece to the other side so i can make sharper bends.

more decisions made, forward movement.
dust

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 PM
G.Norman

So, your conclusion is 26 gauge for the firewall. What's Metal Mart want for that much stainless steel?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

They don't carry 26 gauge - too fragile for them, plenty of other places do locally, the ones that specialize in sheet
dust

Old 11-27-2009, 08:45 PM
G.Norman

So, okay, not Metal Mart although in your statement you said it. Never mind. How much of my allowance from one's parents should one be saving for a 26 gauge firewall?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well, my band saw at home shop broke. big hionkin motor went kaput. it is at the shop seeing if it can be fixed. has put a hold for a week on finishing the headers, need to make a new jig for cutting the minor bends that i need to finish.

last night i became the proud owner of a plasma cutter. figured it was the easiest way to cut all the shielding and shielding stand offs that i need. Perfect fit for the weldor, cut and reattach.

hurry up and wait
dust

Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well, finished being santa at christmas and back to building. the band saw is working like is has not in 6+ years, a bad run time capaciter will do that.

made a new cutting fixture with 5 wires holding the tube in place with washers and bolts, worked great!

was making 2 of last 5 cuts and my buddy asked me to come over and look at the exterior handle and after a few minutes i heard a bang.

it was the tube and CUTTING FIXTURE hitting the floor, i had forgotten that i was cutting a tube, did not stop the cut when it was done with the tube and it went fight on threw the cutting fixture.

2 cuts to go

now i will make a new cutting fixture for the third time, i knows how to do it
dust