Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > For Sale, Trade, Loan or Wanted
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Vendor reports - good and bad

I borrowed the post below from the rotary list which got it from the Lancair list......

As you work away on your projects you will undoubtedly experience varying levels of customer service (or lack thereof) from the many vendors you'll deal with along the way. Fortunately, most suppliers to the homebuilt community are very nice, relatively easy to deal with, and usually helpful when help is needed. There are some, though, that stand head and shoulders above the crowd and I thought I'd share the identity of several that I've had the good fortune to work with while helping Ted Noel with his (soon to fly!) Eagle540-powered IVP...

I'm splitting it up by vendor name. This could turn out to be a useful thread if we add to it as we get good service or otherwise for various vendors.

Business success in the experimental world lives and dies on reputation and word-of-mouth, and the internet is a very powerful force. The more the vendors realize this, the better the service will be.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up Aerotronics

The guys at Aerotronics are amazing. All the way from the top down... I could fill a book with what they did for us along the way. I won't consume your time with one, though... just keep them in mind when you start thinking "panel".

(Quoting unnamed builder on Lancair list)
Old 11-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up Grand Rapids Technologies

The folks I've dealt with at Grand Rapids Technologies are also beyond reproach. Greg Toman helped with more than a few difficulties along the way, and I'd be hard pressed to find someone more willing to help out.

(note - quoting unnamed builder on Lancair site)
Old 11-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up Electronics International

Except maybe for the guys at Electronics International. Ted has four different EI instruments in his airplane, and I needed help with a few of them. First time was about a year ago, when I was trying to share the fuel flow signals from the EI transsducers with both their instrument and the Chelton EAU. Long story short on that one, with their help (and Greg's at GRT) we designed a little piece of circuitry that made it possible, so we now have redundant fuel flow data. The latest one happend just this week, while trying to calibrate the fuel probes to drive their dual-tank fuel level instrument. I couldn't get the right frequency module to provide any useful data, so the first thing they did was replace the (2-year old but brand new) instrument itself with their latest and greatest (which calibrates much easier than the older version).

When replacing the "head" didn't help with the frequency module problem, we were sent a pair of new modules (latest and greatest again, with improved RF rejection and other improvements) which ultimately solved the problem (the original rh module had a broken resistor... probably damaged in handling sometime along the way during the building process.) The replacements were sent FedEx next day, no charge. All they asked was that we return the old instrument and label it with their RMA number. Pretty amazing. If that's not going beyond the call of duty, I don't know what is.

(note - quoting unnamed builder on Lancair site)

Old 11-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up ICOM

I fried a chip in my brand new ICOM about 9 months after buying it. They turned it around in 24 hrs, no charge. Excellent service, although it's a pity 15V should fry a modern electronic gizmo.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:30 AM

Thumbs up Velocity, Inc

Ok, maybe a kit supplier is overbroad, but Velocity, Inc. has been extreamly helpful and supportive. They do provide parts materials and advice to non Velocity builders. I am biased since my project is a Velocity SE, but, from what I understand Velocity is VERY helpful to folks working on other projects as well. They have always been willing, available and supportive in all my dealings with them. They seem to be happy to answer my questions even though they must have answered the same questions a thousand times before for other folks.

Even after they got slammed by two hurricanes, they made an effort to be responsive and reassuring about their continued success. (yeah, this is in their interest as well, but their extra effort was comforting even though I am past the stage of NEEDING any kit part from them). They continue to be debt free and continue their helpful attitude. I enjoy working with them.

IMHO, they are a class act.

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by CBarber : 11-20-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:41 AM

Thumbs up Conversion Concepts

This one may be somewhat controversial since Fred Breeze has had some problems recently (I believe due to a wrist injury causing some pretty long delays....a problem we may all have when a "company" is really a person. I shudder at the thought of something happening to Tracey Crook <g>), but when I bought my rotary engine mount a while back, he was completly efficient and prompt in his attention to my order. He is providing a product which I was more than a little hesitant about even attempting to do myself. He responded promtly to emails and phoned me to keep me updated and seemed happy to answer my questions. www.conversionconcepts.com

I hope that Fred's current issues are being resolved and he is able to get back on track. My experience was very good and I am proud to show off my engine mount (well, not to Paul Lamar ;-)).

As always, YMMV.

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by CBarber : 11-20-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up Real World Solutions / Tracy Crook

Speaking of Tracy Crook ( http://rotaryaviation.com ) He's about the best in the industry. Telephone support goes way beyond the call of duty. Basically, Tracy wants you in the air flying happily with a rotary, and he'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. Tracy's wife, Laura, handles the billing and delivery scheduling with similar concern for customer satisfaction.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:45 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Question Separate and graph..

Is there anyway we could have a listing of all the known (used) vendors with a graph showing favorable and unfavorable with the listings of positive and negative? It would be nice to group them by catagory, but I would be happy alphabetical. This would be a GREAT tool for feedback and vendor choice.

I think this software has the capability...????