Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Eracer Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Requesting King-Racer Feedback

Contemplating building a King-Racer instead of a Cozy IV. Wanting to know what you think, the Good, Bad and Ugly. Thanks Scott
Old 05-31-2006, 01:08 AM

From a practical standpoint there isn't much realistic difference in performance. If you build a Cozy, you'll have an easier time with support (here) and with purchasing pre-fab components if you so desire (along the same line picking up partially completely components like a canard or wings).

If I wanted a two seat side-by-side canard, I would only want it for serious cross country work. Along that line, I'd build a Cozy IV with its bigger back seat and higher gross to have a place for an extra tank and still have plenty of room for baggage. And a BRS should they become available (that's just me). I've considered such for intl travel.

Now for a comment:
If I wanted a two-seater with less than a 1000 mile range, I'd build an RV as they have comparable performance and much more utility (including grass strip, but that's just me). You can't build an RV in $500 increments, but in the end you spend the around same in $ on a Cozy/E-racer and probably less time in building, especially if you get a quick-built kit.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The KING RACER option has received tremendous response from prospective builders. I did not realize how many potential builders there are who cannot find a homebuilt project that has the seating capacity, as well as weight and balance and C.G. range to handle larger pilots/passengers. The KING RACER option was designed for just such people. The KING RACER is an E-RACER with the cockpit and seating moved aft an additional four inches and widened an additional two inches. This results in an aircraft that will handle up to 440 lbs. in the front seats without the need to carry any ballast in order to remain within C.G. limits. It also provides increased leg and torso room over the standard E-Racer which has exceptional room to begin with. If you have special weight and volume requirements for your homebuilt project, contact me about this very popular option.
I did not know about the king racer version of the eracer
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-31-2006, 04:58 PM
G.Norman

I got this from an E-Racer MK-1 website. "King Racer conversion enlarges cockpit. It appears that parts are no longer available."

http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft2/69.htm
Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Nathan Gifford

I know the group would be happy to review any King Racer data, especially if it is fresh.

Whether support or parts will be you biggest problems that isn't a problem with a Cozy. The other thing you will have to consider is how good are the King Racer plans. Cozy plans are pretty good, but not all plans aircraft plans are.

Another thing you may want to dig through are the references to the wider Cozys. There have been many great heated debates on whether a wider Cozy is good idea. Since there aren't a bucket load of E-racers out there (albeit some are really outstanding) and probably less of the King Racer you may want to find out how many of the wider Cozy arguments may apply.

I would also suggest a visit to Rough River in October. You will see more examples of canards there than you will anywhere else.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit
I got this from an E-Racer MK-1 website. "King Racer conversion enlarges cockpit. It appears that parts are no longer available."

http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft2/69.htm
I've owned E-Racer plans as well as plans for every other Rutan derived canard (excluding Velocity). While I didn't build an E-Racer, I didn't really find the plans significantly wanting. With online resources such as this forum, anyone who so desires could easily build an E-Racer from the plans. For the gear of course you would want someone with experience with the E-Racer gear, and they are here as well.

If I remember correctly, the King is essentially an E-Racer with a bulkhead or two moved such that the seatback is moved back allowing for more shoulder room (by moving the seatback to a position where the fuselage is wider). Shirl limited the weight of the engine that can hang off of the firewall to something like 350 pounds (this info is archived in an email list somewhere on the net).

Metal parts unique the the E-Racer are basically the landing gear parts. I think Shirl can still procure these for builders. All of the control weldments are LongEz/Cozy, and/or Cozy parts will work fine. There was an option for teleflex aileron controls, but I don't know if these are still recommended and/or available.

For a short period Shirl offered completed wings and canards for a fee, doubt he still offers these.

Again, the practical speed difference between a Cozy IV and E-Racer are not significant in my book. In deciding to build between the two, the Cozy builder will have the opportunity to borrow/buy things like templates, center section spar jigs, pre-cut cores, pre-fabricated wings and fuse components, etc, that are more populous for the Cozy. Then again, there's just something cool about the looks of a fastback retract E-Racer.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Bob Hassel

I don't know if you've already found it or not but here is a link to the eracer that I have (link that is):

http://www.eracer.org/eracer.html

I am also attaching an eracer .doc file which you may find helpful. I'm doing the Cozy however!

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: doc ERacerInformation.doc (51.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-01-2006, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was hoping to get three specific questions answered; quality of plans (which Ben addressed), landing gear (hoped the Girrrls might have researched), and safety record as compared to Cozy.
Thanks Again, Scott
Old 06-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Cozy IV Wannabe

Logger Scott,

Below is a link of some info I recieved from the e-racer people. I posted it on another thread regarding the e-racer plans. It has some info on the King Racer.

Jamie

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/a...achmentid=2311
Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 AM
G.Norman

Contact Jack Morrison. He's eracer113 on this forum. He's flown an Eracer for quite some time and very knowledgeable on the topic.