Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Question XM Antenna Magnet

The Garmin antenna for XM weather has a strong magnet on the bottom. Mine was installed on top of the Terra Radio which failed shortly afterward.
Not knowing much about radios I worry that the repaired radio will also fail if I leave this installation as is. Is there anywhere behind the panel that such a magnet won't cause problems for instruments, radios etc. or am I imagining an issue that isn't something to worry about....? I'm thinking the best plan is to move it completely away from everything but maybe it's not necessary? What are your installations and experience with the results?
Thank you as always from this newbie, non-builder.
Dave
Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

There is an adhesive cover on the back of the antenna. Peel it off and you will find two magnets underneath. Take them out. (kinda hard. good magnets) Put adhesive back on and use Velcro to secure to same spot.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks Don. Am headed to the hangar now to do just that. Do you think the magnets could have caused the radio failure?
Dave
Old 01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

I don't know about the radio failure, but I do know the magnets are hell for stout. They can mess up a compass by just being in the cockpit.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Default No luck

Well, I pulled out the antenna and there is no access under the sticker. When you pull the 4 tiny screws the bottom comes off and the whole antenna guts seem to be one mass of stuff with no simple magnets to pull off. Didn't want to start disassembling that with my limited knowledge of these things. I guess I'll have to trade it in for one without the magnets. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

This is the XM antenna?
the bottom of the antenna has a black plastic tape held on with adhesive. There are little rubber bumpers in each corner. Are the screws you took out under them? You do not need to remove them. the magnets are just attracted to the metal base on each side. Remember I said they are hell for stout, and a bitch to pry out away from the metal base.
I hope this helps.
I did this to my XM antenna for my Anywhere Map Saturday.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM

*****HYJACK ALERT*****

I really love my AnywhereMap. I have not yet gotten the XM weather. How are you liking it with the XM? TIA.

All the best,

Chris
Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Different Antenna??

I may have a different model. Mine is from Garmin and has a small sticker in the middle, about 1" diameter with nothing under it. The four screws were out at the edges and there are no bumpers. I'm told it can be exchanged for a nominal fee.
I had the weather subscription for several months while the plane sat in a hangar back East. I planned the trip home around weather so I've never used it. Finally turned it off but kept the music subscription, which I really enjoy. Just got home from a quick ride up to Columbia, CA where the Annual Cinco de Mayo Canard Fly-In takes place and ran into Don Denhard, the Host, on his way down to the valley. Then I ran up to Tahoe to show the plane to a friend and back to Davis. Smooth jazz the whole way... very nice.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default anywhere Map

I really like it. I don't have to tote that flight bag around with all those low altitude charts, let down plates, weight and balance, and check lists. Just to name a few things. Now I can carry it all in the top pocket of my BIB coveralls.