Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
The trouble with that is that you don't know what you like till you do it. I started off just wanting an airplane... then realized that building is fun.
I KNOW I'd love to build. I do most of the work on my cars. I helped my son replace his door last week. Heck, when I was college I worked full time and restored a 150 yr old house: while putting myself thru college ...

my dad is a machinist and my strongest skill set is spacial/mechanical abilities. Problem is... I don't have the time to add building a plane to my agenda.

Then there are those who are the opposite of you and me: they don't like to build... they just want a plane .. frugally.

OK to start a project and realize that. They want to fly and not build.

I'd love to have 37 hours a day [or independent wealth] but I have to accept constraints and I can generate the $$ to buy an a/c with less demands upon me than I can to find the time to build an a/c. Especially since experimental a/c usually sell for the cost of the materials in them and the 'labor' is free...

I'd love to build, but it isn't practical. I'd love to do dozens of things but I must or love to do other things above those.

Isn't life great to have so many options and be limited by time rather than some other artificial constraint?

I'm truely blessed,

hope you are too,

John
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 AM

I like the idea of efficiency, but maybe that is the rationalization that I use because deep down the Rutan designs are sooo Kewl? I cannot even remember when I first heard Rutan's name, but I think I admired him since I was pretty young.

But, it looks like a RV 7 would cost about the same as a Cozy.

Cozy: Cool as hell, 4 place, fast cruise, long range.

RV7 or 9 (taildragger): Just about as fast, suitable for grass fields, probably way more suited for packed snow runways, no stinky garage/clothes, a touch cheaper, or about the same $$ (From what I can tell), much quicker to build, as I am a Mfg Engineer, and by gawd I better be able to do sheet metal assy quicker than 95% of builders.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Fast as Lightning

When I was at Sun N Fun in April I looked at the Lightning. I was very impressed with the Composite Shell and the Wings looked great. It is a bit narrow but then again the Guy said that if I had any composite expereince that I could finish it in under 400 hours. Plus he said that the Max "official" speed was very conservative. It looked really good to me. If that kit was approved for finianicing like a Sonex it would be my #2 Choice Behind just buying a LE.
Chapter 6......

Per Dash 1 Ch 3
"Arming Levers Rotate, Trigger Squeeze" - I'm Out
Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: composite or canard?

About a week ago off forum I had someone make some observations about the Lightning that were disparaging.

I couldn't dispute them but they didn't 'ring true' intuitively so I posed them to the Lightning forum. They were able to address them. I shared their responses with the mis-informed individual many days ago. In the best interest of accurate information flow I thought I'd provide the link to that thread:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=27747

Each of us has a different mission profile and it is in everyone's interest that the best information be available so that informed decisions and 'cross pollination' of ideas is maintained.

It may be that the Lightning is not the best plane for your needs but it is in all our best interest that information re: all aircraft be accurate.

all the best,

John