Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default which glass panel?

I am no longer enamored with a glass panel, don't know if i will even put one in.

I may for weather and the new, if they come out and are affordable, situational awareness traffic control system.

i now listen to what many have said about single point failure and the glass panels definitely have that.

gps, moving mad is snarky, but when you get right down to it, gps digital readout does the same thing.

when i make the future panel decisions, i won't be charmed by the glass panel.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: which glass panel?

There really isn't a more inexpensive way to get the functionality of the Dynon EFIS.

Grand Rapids isn't far behind in the cost-benifit-safety equation.
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM

I was thinking of the dynon myself but I have a few years to decide..
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM

DYNON ROCKS!! I have the D-100 (seven inch screen) and it is amazing for the price, hell, it is amazing for a LOT more. The firmware upgrades have been free and they are introducing new features and modules to increase functions. They are very mindful of only releasing rock solid software. Of course, I am not flying however I have flown behind the very same unit in a friends RV-8 and it was perfect. He is a Continental First Officer and has nothing bad to say about it and states it rivals the big jet stuff (on the level it is intended, that is).

The company seems very true to their current clients with a good balance pursuing new customers. I do not feel like I will be dropped in the grease down the road.

Dynon seems to not be a feature rich as say, Blue Mountain, but what they offer is what you need. I expect they will offer more down the road, but I don't expect them to release stuff 'till it is ready for prime time. In the last several months they have introduced a heated Pitot tube with AOA, an HSI feature that links cetain Nav/Com (increasing which ones with a new hardware module about to be introduced which also incorporates a knob) and GPS units (with the correct hardware, the SL30, glideslops is also on the main screen...this is what my RV budy has) and a more "current" display standards.

The transistion was not only easy, but, IMAO, more intuitive to fly behind....it is all there, right in front of you. AMAZING.

Can you tell I like it?

All the best,

Chris
Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

chris - you gots a backup? case it goes bye bye?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Walking thru the hangers at Osh this year was like the television department at Best Buy... it was EFIS's (EFII?) -R-US, seemed like everybody had them and soooo many new names.
I am glad we started out with huge screens then if later we change or replace we should have a choice. Also whatever comes through the shakeout over the next few years should be better and probably cheaper.
The nice thing is you will be able to purchase a compact multifunction unit as a backup that will run quit nicely on a small backup battery connected to some emergency buss, that should get you down when the big screens go darkly.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM

At OSH I was able to locate Sensornetics. They are getting started in the EFIS game but they have different modules that when linked together build into an EFIS. I thought initially I would use their basic module which is $300 for engine monitor data. Use 4 wires to send it forward and use a PDA or laptop with Bittner's software they use GRT EIS format. The mechanical flight instruments for back up would be primary. That way I could add flight displays after 1st flight and get an idea what I would need.
Joe Berki
Limo EZ