Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Hello Everyone

Hello

This is my first post and I am excited about building. My brother (dirtdox) and I have been involved in flying for a long time. My brother has been involved in racing for several years and I have been doing evertyhing but flying in the last several years. I currently have 86 hours of flight time but I haven't flown in about four years mostly due to lack of funds and multiple hobbies. I want to reduce my number of hobbies to one and I plan to start flying again which will get me even more excited to build. I am looking forward to getting back into the air.

We went to rough river this year and had a great time. Everyone was very friendly and we did get the chance to sit in a couple planes. I was impressed with the amount of rides some of the pilots were giving and we hope to have a name tag stating how far along in our project we are for next year. We were there on Saturday and sat through all of the seminars except the last one about hot wire techniques. That last seminar was one we wanted to see the most but we had to drive home. We are going to build an aerocanard, my brother should be ordering the plans today

Both my brother and I have large garages but I believe we will build in his garage. We both have some projects to either get rid of or complete. I read the remarks to my brothers initial post about our size and the CG limits. We aprpeciated the comments and if anyone has anything else to add we will appreciate any transfer of information.

We are preparing the garage for building, my brother has already made some leg adjusters in order to balance the table. We should have the table built in the very near future. We want to make sure we have the required tools and equipment to make the building process go smoothly. If anyone has any suggestions for equipment, tools or the table itself please educate us!!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hello Everyone

I prefer a table that does not have corner legs - that way you can clamp at the corner - very handy.

argoldman got rid of the cutting table and hangs his cloth on the wall, rolls it down and cuts it vertical with electric scissors with a 1 foot wide bench for it to fall onto - great time and space saver
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Tree Pig - too bad you missed the cutting, you ever near Detroit MI, stop by, i always have supplies to show cuttin, just did it last evening with a buddy from brazil!

I've decided to make the hot wire cutting at Rough River an annual event, everyone that took part, and i think it was about 24 to 28 different people, seemed to enjoy it.

Since so many seem to have trouble finding a cutting partner, maybe someone will bring the foam for their wings and we can make the real thing!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM

Just placed the order to Aerocad for plans and construction CD's!!!!

Trying to attach a picture of one of the leg adjusters for the work table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveler.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	4172  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Remember to - see below
dust

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Aerocad plans and DVD's arrived on Saturday!!!!!
They also included the plans for the kit version. There is more difference than I thought between the kit and plans built.

Hope to start building around April. In the mean time more studying, reviewing builder sites and, of course making progress on a car projects to make room in the garage.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdox View Post
There is more difference than I thought between the kit and plans built.
A few more words on this subject would be interesting
dust

Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM

After reading the scratch built plans several times, I never gave much thought to the differences in the order or process of building when there are pre-fab parts envolved.
I haven't read through all of the kit plans yet so I may be mistaken on some things.
The speed brake has 2 hinges
Oil cooler mounted in front with oil lines running down each side of fuselage
There appears to be no naca scoop(so far)
No rear keel/air vent(so far)
The order of the build was changed substancially so things may just appear to be different.