Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

How does it happen, you measure, level, measure, level again, the main spar, level side to side, triangulated from the centerline of the instrument panel,set 2 degrees forward so the weight of the wing levels it off, one is not centerred by 1/2 inch and the other is off by a quarter. I JUST DON'T GET IT.

IT IS WHAT IT IS, FORTUNALY the tanks don't do much for lift so it probably won't make a flying difference.

Funny days now, do a little here, do a little there, here a turtledeck installed, there a fire wall bondoed in, here a heat duct extension made, there a hinge countersunk.

Parts is parts
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

First picture is the setting up for installing the upper firewall of the second plane.

Second picture we have the turtledeck floxed and glassed in place with a wedge of foam under it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Firewall.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	409  Click image for larger version

Name:	Turtledeck.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	410  
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 09-26-2004, 02:03 AM

Did you calibrate your smart level before measuring level?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

thinking about it now, we did measure the wings at installation and they agree in length installed..

measure
level
measure once, twice, thrice
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

So I'm at Rough River looking at this fine fast flying cozy, on the ground, but it flew there, and I mention my snafuuuuu with the spars not being centered

Well, it must be easy to do, his is off center tooooooooooooooooo
dust

Old 10-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

in attendance

mplaflower master builder
tom master
señor ostroth - thanes dad
thane
dust
dave

ohhhhh for the days of big layups, little itsy bitsy progress, attached firewall number two and turtledeck #2 tested tank # 4

nit picked canopy bubble # 1 ALLLLLL DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY you knows trimmed, positioned, trimmed, positioned, taped, radiused taped etc,etc,etc nit picky, nit picky

cleaned off bench , unless you know dave doesn't sound like much
dust

Old 10-20-2004, 11:36 AM
G.Norman

Sorry I didn't come by for plane day. The weather got cold so I decided it was time to install the furnace. I was proud by Sunday night after drilling holes in the house brick, four trips to H.D. and getting into contortionistic positions. All I got was a, "that thing gonna' raise our heat bill"? But the toes are toasty and the epoxy will flow like honey.

Guys, on the strake build, did you go with the 48x48 table? And why are you reinforcing the the nose gear? Did you go with the Wright nose lift?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit
Guys, on the strake build, did you go with the 48x48 table? And why are you reinforcing the the nose gear? Did you go with the Wright nose lift?
48x60 table and glad to have it all

Wihlemson nose gear, an engineer i trust says it is better

a coupla of guys have had problems out of hundreds flying and we could easily, only a few hours each, reinforce now.
dust

Old 11-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, we had

thane - builder
tom - friend who loves to build airplanes
dave - building bard
mr the flower - master builder
never quite - just looked for a bit
neverquite's SWMBO looked on a bit
dust - PIA

bubble time - attached and trimmed bubble to plane 2 and laboriously formed foam around buble # 1.

In the beginning was concerned about laying into bubble with cutter, heh, that lasted abour 23 seconds, cut with ease, so long as you are wearing a face mask. No harder than any of the other billion cuts you make in plane building

Forming foam around bubble is just plane time consuming. plane 1 is 2/3 done plane 2 is now ready to start, barn is getting nearer to be usable
dust

Old 11-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

OK, today was fancy, both, both planes are caught up with each other, both of them have the bubble foamed in place and next week, we get to form them.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

form the bubbly surround

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

its gettin fun now, bubble surround, bubble surround
dust

Old 11-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

We formed the foam around the canopies today. Here's a before and after picture.

Tom started the carving and dust, well... he made lots of dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0300.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	707.9 KB
ID:	480  Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0303.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	693.5 KB
ID:	481  
Old 11-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

OK so this plane day was fancy. Really cool. Started out with TWO canopy surrounds ready to carve, two.

really looked HARD, I actually thought we would have to attach extra foam and redo a number of times until we got it right.

Well, i started to sand, tom started to cut in strips for the templates and away we went, mike got there later and picked up the templets, saw the progress and just started rubbing them in to final form, i kept sanding.

All of the sudden i stepped back and i had one side done

I mean, done

AND dam it was beautiful.

Building these planes never ceases to amaze me. the process works, i mean, i can't do hand work well, they call me me jig, i jig everything, and in this procedure, no jigging, just 6 foot, 34 inch 2 foot and 8 inch sanding boards.

Compound curves in every direction, done, done, done

What a relief
dust

Old 11-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Just looked closely at these pics, they are the 90% done one, the other is 99% ..... thats what you get when you pay slave wages .... to a master
dust

Old 11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default hand is quicker than the eye!

Check out the picture on the right, the sanding hand is a blur...
Who needs a sander when you have the bionic man?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

hey, don't call myself dust fer nuthin
dust