Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > SQ2000 Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: An SQ2000 builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
many people tend to be less critical in writing a news letter than if they were in person or talking on a phone.
Don't you have that backwards Dust, "many" people rely on notes, records, checklists etc. to write newsletters/ reports. Being in person or on the phone will usually involve some handwaving and BS and lend itself to interpretation far beyond that of the written word.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Bite my tongue, bite my tongue, bite my tongue. There - that's enough blood now :-).
Thank you, Marc. Now - doesn't that taste good?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Heath View Post
Don't you have that backwards Dust, "many" people rely on notes, records, checklists etc. to write newsletters/ reports. Being in person or on the phone will usually involve some handwaving and BS and lend itself to interpretation far beyond that of the written word.
The word you seemed to miss was critical, on the phone during the flight testing of the franklin and afterwards, Nat was extremely critical of the Franklin. Far more so than he was or would have been in writing.

mmmm, from his attitude on the phone, i can imagine he was waving his hands!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM

I think any reasonable person would agree that Nat's findings in testing the Franklin on his airplane would be most accurate in the news letters he himself published, as appossed to the memory, interpretation, and interpolation of a phone conversation that may or may not have occurred years ago by a person who may want to inject his own personal beliefs as factual. There is also no reason for ANYONE to "bite" his or her tongue on this forum when they no something posted to be false as long as it is posted in a respectful, factual manner.

Last edited by David Clifford : 07-10-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
ChasingMars

*shrug* Dust's recollection is his recollection, he's entitled to it, and I know enough about the vageries of anyone's memory, to put more trust in what's published directly.

Aside from that, Dust's recollection is against what some (including myself) think is poor engineering in some previous cases, so even if it was gospel truth itself, I still wouldn't do it (fabric weights issue, which seems to have more lives than a cat)
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Again, for what it's worth, I have two comments....

Mike Watson (Velocity flyer based at KLNA) has been extremely happy with his Franklin 6 / IVO combination for hundreds of hours. I have witnessed many take-offs of that beast from a 3000' runway and he's at 500' over the threshold. He based his choice on a good recommendation from another Velocity flyer with hundreds of hours on the same combination.

As we experienced recently with the 40 kts crosswind story, verbal conversations are often mis-heard, misinterpreted, mis-reported or just plain WRONG.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Cozy #1056

What I have been unable to reconcile is the weights that are published in newsletter 56. Nat published that his Franklin install was 90 pounds heavier than his Lycoming install.

The Franklin website lists the dry weight of the Franklin engine at 297 lbs.
The Superior website lists the weight of the (i)o360 depending on the model at between 288 and 308.

Where did the 90 pounds come from? The exhaust system? Starter? Engine mount? The baffling?

Its too bad but Franklin seems to be completely dead at this point.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
LongEZ-RG

John,

Is that Franklin 6 a direct drive or geared?

Waiter
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post

As we experienced recently with the 40 kts crosswind story, verbal conversations are often mis-heard, misinterpreted, mis-reported or just plain WRONG.
Again, eracer verified the story

Why not just call nat and ask him of his opinion of the franklin, he misses the builder calls.

My memory is quite good and while your at it, ask about the fabric replacement weights and where he got the material for the 3.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Nathan Gifford

Even though this is a SQ2000 section, are there any Cozys flying with this engine combo?
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Cozy #1056

The Franklin is a direct drive.

See the following: http://www.franklinengines.com/6a.cfm
Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
Its too bad but Franklin seems to be completely dead at this point.
Who says its dead? Its still being produced by a company in Poland. http://www.franklin-engines.com/

I have no problem getting parts from several sources.

http://www.abri.com/sq2000
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Cozy #1056

Really? I have sent them a email or two and have gotten no response. I have also sent several emails to Franklin Air ... the US distributer and gotten only one response stating that they have no engines.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Here is a direct quote from Nat in newsletter #56 about the Franklin.

"It has been very smooth running and reliable, taking us over the mountains a number of times...............At full throttle, the Franklin is about 10 mph faster than the 0-360. So it seems to provide about the same power as the IO-360."

Myself, I feel the Franklin is a reliable engine and goes high altitude easily with the 10.5/1 compression. I had mine to 18K and still climbing.

His main objection is the extra weight he had with the Franklin - probably a little higher weight bed mount and other standard equipment. I have reduced the weight on mine with Skytech starter, non-standard Nipo alternator and magnesium intake manifolds. But even then the Franklin is still a "longer" engine being a six so moves the weight more aft and needs more front balast.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
Really? I have sent them a email or two and have gotten no response. I have also sent several emails to Franklin Air ... the US distributer and gotten only one response stating that they have no engines.
Try Bruce Kown Carcasville, GA 770-386-7435
also Susan at 903-626-5115
I also got some parts from http://www.franklinengines.com/contact.cfm
some time ago.