Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly
I made the mistake coating once my wings with cabosil. It is hard as a rock. Sanding was extremly difficult. Never used it again.
maybe it could be used to harden a leading edge.. dont leading edges chip easily ? or is cabosil thickened epoxy brittle ?

S
Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 PM

Indeed, I have read Wayne's web site Great resource.

Sanding cabosil extremely difficult? Well, I used whole evening to sand it (first round with 60 grit, then 80 grit, then 100 grit, then 120 grit, then 180 grit, then 240 grit). Kinda hard. But the epoxy I am using has never been that easy to sand, it is hard as a rock.

I should have sanded more and should have propably filled one more time.
(and sanded one more time after that).

cabosil is good for stopping runs, even small amount of it stops the running of epoxy and makes handing it on a convex surface a lot easier. Putting micro on it would just introduce pinholes (tried already that too).
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 08-29-2006, 06:01 PM

Omni report.

I finally got around to shooting the Omni primer on the bottom of the cannard and elevators. The stuff works great and is forgiving. I had 3 pin holes at the end of the cannard which started to fill with the primer. I used Wayne's epoxy swipe method on the canard. I guessed I missed a spot. The primmer magnifys any flaw with the first coat. Subsequent coats start to fill but I think I will go back and sand some areas on the trailing edge which are hard to get at due to the hinge plates. I mixed it per the data sheet used a Binks siphone feed set at 40 to 50psi at the tank.

Joe Berki
Limo EZ