Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2004, 02:32 AM

Default Plane Day

This Saturday, 04/29/04 @ 9:00 sharp!! Hot deli corned beef sandwichs (17-1/2's) shaved paper thin on my recently aquired commercial deli slicer, and homemade cream of asparagus soup for lunch. YUMMY!!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Dave,
I know you're in a different time zone up there, but I didnt realize you were 2 days behind the rest of us. This Saturday (tomorrow) is May 1st down here.

Y'know - one of these days I just might show up at lunch time.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Dave is perpetually 2 days behind.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:14 PM

Dave, I was thinking about racing up there to join the fun and try not to get in the way. I would've loved to see the act of closing the strakes. Too bad you couldn't hold it off for a week just for my sake (lowest-grade humor). So how many active builders are there in Michigan?

Tom
Old 12-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Dave.....Y'know - one of these days I just might show up at lunch time.
is your middle name mplafleur?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-16-2006, 01:28 AM

Just Thane and I today for Plane Day. As Dust has already announced, he and Thane have ended their partnership in their plane and have mutually agreed that Dust will buy out Thane and acquire 100% ownership. For the past few weeks, we have not worked on "their plane" and worked on mine. Today Thane and I cleaned out Dust's plane, cut and removed the wings and canard, moved it off to the side, and started filling the plane with parts awaiting arrangements for Dust to pick up his plane. We spent our time afterwards carving and sanding the pour foam for the AS&S wheel pants and laying up the brake caliper/heat shield fairing's that the wheel pants will attatch to. Thank you Waiter for your recent instructional post on installing the wheel pants!! Just in time! The hardest thing was positioning and temporarly holding the wheel pants in place and in correct alignment to fabricate the caliper fairings and attatchments. I put a horizontal line on the pants with 1/8" pins on each tip to rest on braces bonded to the shop floor. When I had everything level and perpendicular to the C/L of the plane, I set the tilt and bondo'd the pants in place with 1" X 2" boards. Built and lined a carboard form after covering the strut and brake assembly's with duct tape, poured the foam, let cure overnight, peeled off the form and carved the foam. After lay-up, we could not do anything to the plane that would move it at all so we worked on the landing/taxi lights. I even had time to finish up a "goverment job" for mplafleur machining and welding on a new oil line fitting boss for one of his Mercedes oil filter housing thingies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00029.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	539.1 KB
ID:	2223  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00030.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	598.0 KB
ID:	2224  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00031.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	2225  
Old 04-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Hey, that's a fine job Dave. Thanks!

While you have it, could you break loose the collar from that other fitting?
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 PM

It was plane day Saturday, Sunday and Monday for me this week. We finished the installation of the wheel pants, wired up the control grips(Ray Allen), installed the taxi light on the passenger side strake, wired both taxi and landing lights to the IP, and wired up the headset jacks in the head rest per plans. Also put in a 12V power outlet for whatever, and also wired for pointable map light. Thane brought Tom out who has been MIA for 3 months! Lots of work got done. Also in my spare time I managed to plant 200 of 600 3 year old tree seedlings. My back is killing me!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00032.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	2286  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00033.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	587.5 KB
ID:	2287  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00034.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	563.9 KB
ID:	2288  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00035.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	2289  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Long EZ

Dave,

How are you going to form the plexi-glass cover for your head light?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 PM

They are already formed. Before I cut out the openings for the lights. I brought out a small convection oven into the shop, heated the oversize plexiglass sheets in the oven, then wearing welding gloves to avoid burns, draped the sheet over the marked location where the cutout would be, and held in place until cooled. The lens covers were then trimmed to fit after the lights were installed. If you look hard, you can see the 1/8" recessed flange that the lens will mount to after installing and tapping 3/8" thick X 3/4" long X 1/2" deep aluminum hardpoints.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 PM

This week we finished up the landing/taxi lights and also took 2" off the front of the front seats and cut the IP all the way down to the floor as someone else suggested. This little mod makes an unbelievable difference in getting in and out when trying to fish your feet and legs through the IP hole! Even Thane who has big feet and long legs has no problem now. I did away with the plans style roll trim in order to use this mod,,,instead I am installing an electric roll trim in the hell hole using a linier actuator with cables and springs attatched to the control tubes with bell horns. Heres a pic of the interior lighting I chose,,, 24V LED's. A white and red in the front and a white in the rear seat area.. Picked up off eBay real cheap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00036.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	2338  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00037.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	2339  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	569.5 KB
ID:	2340  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	2341  
Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
Picked up off eBay real cheap.
I bet that's where you got the deli slicer too.

Dave, obviously you made clearance in you wheel pants for tire swell when landing as noted in a previous thread? Just a quick reminder for an awsome plane soon to be.

How are you going to attach the landing light covers to the wings? I've always wondered if anyone has come up with some kind of attach tab system so you don't see the screws. Maybe some kind of tabs you screw on from the side with a screwdriver access hole underneath?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Built the I/P cover last week, some more sanding and filling, fabbing the canopy latch system, (I'm going to try my hand at anodizing the aluminum parts red for that following Jim Wier's last column in KitPlanes magazine), landing and taxi light lenses glassed in, some more wire pulled, and also spent a good deal of time finishing up the division of building materials and supplies for both planes. Just waiting for Dust to pick up his package and make room in the "factory"for a new project! Got the call from Superior that Thanes new fuel injected XP-360 engine will be built(assembled) tommorrow and will be delived to the "factory" either the 14th or 17th via Yellow with a lift gate. Cozy Girrls are building the mount! MT prop should be shipped in September. Thane predicts taxi testing late fall,,,,,,,I predict in the spring. The light at the end of the tunnel is growing.!!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford
Got the call from Superior that Thanes new fuel injected XP-360 engine will be built(assembled) tommorrow and will be delived to the "factory" either the 14th or 17th via Yellow with a lift gate. Cozy Girrls are building the mount! MT prop should be shipped in September. Thane predicts taxi testing late fall,,,,,,,I predict in the spring. The light at the end of the tunnel is growing.!!
Crap!

I'm stuck building this house, instead of helping you guys out!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur
Crap!

I'm stuck building this house, instead of helping you guys out!
Hey,,,I just checked the time of your post and realized I must have been driving by,,,,errrr,,,,I mean, patroling your neighborhood in front of your house when you posted this. I saw NO activity as far as construction goes and thought to myself,,, "Maybe Mikes not working on the house 'cause the kids are out for a while,,,,,Mike and Paula are alone,,,,,,trying to make up for lost time while Mike was away on business trip for two weeks,,,,,,. NO!! No way am I gonna stop by at THIS time to pick up a tool!!!"