Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Looks great, Dave. I see you're painting the bottom first, then presumably you'll flip it and paint the top. That's probably ok with primer, but I wouldn't do that with the top coat. You'll never be able to blend the seams. I painted mine all in one go the second time using a mechanic's roller board to scoot around underneath. I had no problem getting a good finish under the strakes etc. I masked of most of the fuselage underside and painted it a different color. Might be worth considering. I get the feeling people see me better on final these days.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

That really looks great to be that far along!!
Looks like a great home paint booth- better than a lot of them been painted in, I bet!
No flies in yur finish!
Congradulamafacations!!! I cant wait to get to that step.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
Looks great, Dave. I see you're painting the bottom first, then presumably you'll flip it and paint the top. That's probably ok with primer, but I wouldn't do that with the top coat. You'll never be able to blend the seams. I painted mine all in one go the second time using a mechanic's roller board to scoot around underneath. I had no problem getting a good finish under the strakes etc. I masked of most of the fuselage underside and painted it a different color. Might be worth considering. I get the feeling people see me better on final these days.
That was the plan John,,,,but we may want to re-think that now. I'll mention it to Thane and let him decide since it's his plane now and I am only a "slave" on "Plane Day"!! The Cozy is gonna be on a break for about a month while Thane does the vacation thingy with his wife. Soooooo,,,,,in the interim,,,,I think I may actually have all, (or most), of the tools I need to finally rivet the vertical stabilizer together on my RV. I tell yah,,,,lately I feel luckier than a dog with two peters being able to do this stuff!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 PM

Default PPG Topcoat

Today we sanded down the grey PPG primer to 320, vacumned all the dust up, then cleaned the surface with a damp cloth, then followed that up with a lacquar thinner wipe down. I shot one coat of PPG white primer, then after a half hour per the instructions, shot two coats of the PPG off white top coat Thane picked out as his base color. That $20 Harbor Freight gun didn't drop one drop of primer or paint, and did not spit at all!! I have one small run we will need to sand out. Thane decided to just go ahead and shoot the bottom. We off set the tape line by 1/2" to create a paint joggle that we can try and blend in by sanding and polishing. If it don't work, the lines will be in mostly unnoticable areas and will probably be masked by stripping. The gloss top coat really makes the imperfections stand out, but over all, we are pleased with the results. Like I said before,,,,we ain't building no stinkin' show plane!! It will be a one month break from the Cozy now while Thane goes on vacation. I can devote my weekends to the RV-10 full time for a while!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00102.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	3281  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00107.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	3282  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00112.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	3283  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00115.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	3284  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00116.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	3285  

Name:	DSC00117.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	3286  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

WOW! It's lookin' great!
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 01-22-2007, 12:53 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Typically one is there own worst critic- so it probably really is SCHWEEET! Looks great from here!!!!
As John was sayin about shooting it all at once- you guys must have something figured out about that huh? I wonder how a paintshop would do that- probably on a lift or something?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey View Post
Typically one is there own worst critic- so it probably really is SCHWEEET! Looks great from here!!!!
As John was sayin about shooting it all at once- you guys must have something figured out about that huh? I wonder how a paintshop would do that- probably on a lift or something?
I was prepared to do what John suggested and paint on my back on a creeper. I think Thane was anxious to see how it it looks with the top coat (so was I), and since it is his plane now, the decision was his. I am but a "slave" at this point! . I think it will turn out fine. We are going to flip the plane again on Sunday, 2/18/07. Anyone want to come out for a look see and a helping hand is more than welcome! I'm thinking about a medium-rare roast beef tenderloin shaved on the deli slicer and served on Hot Crusty Non-French Rolls with a Non-French au-ju dip for lunch!! YUMMY!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Here's how I primed my fuselage without flipping the plane or crawling underneath. Shoot the top and sides with the plane on all three gear. Then lift the nose and set the plane on its butt to shoot the bottom. In the pictures you can see that I've chocked the main wheels -- two blocks screwed into a thick piece of plywood. The engine mount is resting on foam blocks.

Yes, the plane is outside. But you can do this inside if your hangar is tall enough.

Congrats! Only a few things finer than seeing the plane in one color!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25prime_fuse1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	3287  Click image for larger version

Name:	25prime_fuse2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	3288  Click image for larger version

Name:	25prime_fuse3.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	3289  
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Got My Hanger!

Two weeks ago Gladwin County Airport sent me a letter telling me that the 10 new "T" hangers were completed and ready for occupancy, and to come up and pick out my hanger I wanted along with the contract. I finally managed to get up there last Saturday and found out I got the last one available and had no choice. They ended up with a three tier pricing: $85 for the front hangers, $75 for the rear, and $95 for the end hangers since they are larger. I got the last corner rear hanger. These prices are based on a one year prepayment, which I will do,,,otherwise add 20% for monthly payments. The leesee must provide hanger insurance. Is this normal???? Still,,,,not a bad deal at all for a brand new tee hanger on a 4500' paved runway 6 miles away from my cottage! The timing would have been real close had I kept the Cozy, but I am now at least 2 years away from needing it for the RV. I'm keeping it anyways because I know I will never get an opportunity like this one again. I'm going to let my brother-in-law use it till I need it. NO,,,,,not the brother-in-law on this forum,,,he has no use for one up there. Its for my brother-in-law who lives up there. He has one of those flying milk stools,,a Piper Tri-Pacer. We might even be able to fit both in there with one of those lifts. Then I came home and closed up the skins on the RV-10 Vertical Stabilizer and am moving on to the rudder. My first time riveting and ended up with three "smilies"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00561.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	3322  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00563.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	3323  
Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
G.Norman

Was that you I saw cruising my street the other day? Isn't retirement (build time) coming soon?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:12 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
The leesee must provide hanger insurance. Is this normal????
Think renters/homeowners insurance for your hangar. I've seen both ways at places, some places require it, others strongly recommend it. What restrictions do they have on the hangars if any?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
Was that you I saw cruising my street the other day? Isn't retirement (build time) coming soon?
Probably seeing if the light is on in the garage addition...

Awesome Dave!

I can see your reflection on the part. All ready to paint practically, too.

No sanding...

Gonna strap on an Eaton M62 on the Renesis?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
Probably was me. I drive by nightly even though it's out of my city. And yes,,,,,,retirement will be soon!! 668 days left!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Think renters/homeowners insurance for your hangar. I've seen both ways at places, some places require it, others strongly recommend it. What restrictions do they have on the hangars if any?
No sub leessing and the insurance policy required and must be approved by the city. Any building alterations must be pre approved by the airport manager. It states nothing about storage of non airplane's. Airport manager reserves the right to enter premises for inspections, ect..
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
Probably seeing if the light is on in the garage addition...

Awesome Dave!

I can see your reflection on the part. All ready to paint practically, too.

No sanding...

Gonna strap on an Eaton M62 on the Renesis?
I'm still deciding on the Renesis or 0-540. Someone IS putting a Renesis in his RV-10 and is about a year away from flight. I'm gonna hang onto it for a while. I'll fix the smillie defects with some plastic filler, sand smooth, then scuff the skin up with a scotch bright, and ready for prime!