Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Trying to Remember...

Greetings All...

New here and was hoping that all of the experts out there might be able to help me. In the early eighties I helped a navy pilot build a single seat Canard in his garage. I was about 14 at the time and cannot for the life of me remember what the model was. What I DO remember: Single Seat, canard with the front landing gear built into the outside edges of the canard, taildragger, top wing above and behind the canopy. I know he was building from a kit and the construction was wood, foam and fiberglass. I think that I have a pic of the finished plane somewhere and will post if it is found.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Nathan Gifford

Sounds like a Quickie.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraproject38
Greetings All...

New here and was hoping that all of the experts out there might be able to help me. In the early eighties I helped a navy pilot build a single seat Canard in his garage. I was about 14 at the time and cannot for the life of me remember what the model was. What I DO remember: Single Seat, canard with the front landing gear built into the outside edges of the canard, taildragger, top wing above and behind the canopy. I know he was building from a kit and the construction was wood, foam and fiberglass. I think that I have a pic of the finished plane somewhere and will post if it is found.

Your mystery plane was probably a quickie. Yet another of the Rutan designs.

The quickie was a single place, originally designed for a 18 hp Onan engine. The top speed was, i think, over 100 MPH. I can't remember whether the quickie was scratch built, (I think it was) or was a fuselage kit and scratch built wings/canard. The quickie morphed into the 2 place kit Q2 and later the Q200 before the demise of the quickie factory due to an accident. The dragonfly was a plane similar, but in many ways different than the Q2, as both were designed, unbeknownst to eachother, at the same time, after the quickie first was shown at OSH.