Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Forward retracting nose gear?

I'm running into some geometry problems with my nose gear. I'm thinking about mounting the pivot BEHIND F-22 (about F-26) and retracting the gear forward.

Retracting the gear forward vs. backward would increase the nose weight on retraction to some degree, but Velocity manages to retract its nose gear forward.

Any reasons not to?

BTW -- I'd be using an oleo strut.
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Alternatively, is there any reason that the front wheel axil has to be at BL 16 ?

What if I moved it forward 10", to BL 6. That would give me more room to retract it. Obviously I'd have to rework the whole forward wheel box, but that's a given.

Problems?
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 07-20-2006, 11:04 PM
A builder at last.

I bounced around that idea around a year or two ago. A big problem I didn't see a soluction for was the wheel itself. The way it trails under normal use, but when pivoted forward on the ground it would want to roll to one side.

I think one of the advantage would be the increase room around your knees. Then again it may be eaten up with the new pivot structure.
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

I believe that ground retraction of the nose gear on a Velo is verboten... so that solves that issue
Old 07-20-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaleDC
Alternatively, is there any reason that the front wheel axil has to be at BL 16 ?

What if I moved it forward 10", to BL 6.
Butt Lines are side to side, off the longitudinal centerline. Fuselage stations are fore-aft, from a reference point. I think you mean FS-16 or FS-6.

You will have less weight on the nose-wheel and more on the mains. Not a whole lot less, and it would take some analysis to determine whether it would matter (my gut feel is that it's not a big deal, but I wouldn't bet $20 on that without at least SOME analysis), but less.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
mdswitzer

one advantage to forward retracting gear, if there is a problem & you really want it down, the wind will help you get it down

also, if you land heavy on the nose it wont retract accidentally (a couple of the WWII fighters had that problem, cant remember which ones right now)
Old 07-21-2006, 03:10 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswitzer
one advantage to forward retracting gear, if there is a problem & you really want it down, the wind will help you get it down

also, if you land heavy on the nose it wont retract accidentally (a couple of the WWII fighters had that problem, cant remember which ones right now)
When I come in for a landing I allways really want the gear to come down mostly every time but if there is a problem with the nose gear you will be able to land just fine. the nose may be a little lower than you would like and you will get stopped just a little quicker then you expected

If you can land one of these canard thingys hard on the nose gear I would like to see that. Might be done if you are dive bombing at the ground and forget to pull up. that is very hard to do and I'm not even sure which one of the controls would be used to do that. Even when you make a landing that you think is way flatter then you have ever done before. the mains just touch first. I guess if you forget to flair the mains and the nose may touch at the same time. and if you did break the nose wheel. you will be stoped in a hurry and will have saved on your brakes.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Lynn - "mostly, evey time... like to see that..." nailed the whole ify 'by the seat of yur pants hick canardoian perfessionalism' or some ism anyway ...the rest yu dun writ there prooved yu rock, man. We'eer all with yu dood. Dive bomb away...jammin skillz bro.
whoooooahhh...
Old 07-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Dreamer

Default Retractable nose gear in fighters

Retractable nose gear in WWII fighters were very rare. I can only remember of the P-39 Airacobra and the Me-262. Neither used a front engine what allowed the space for the front gear. I never heard of any complains on the front gear on both planes although they were produced in very small numbers to be of any significance at the time.