Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
Waiter, there's a new official milspec replacement for the "red stuff" that has a much higher flash point. You can buy in in gallon cans. I forget the part number and contact info, but Ed Anderson on the rotary list has been using it for years. I have a can in the hangar, but haven't installed it yet.
MIL-H-83282 can replace it. (Its not new, and it has a quite high flash point) It comes in gallon cans all the way up to 55 gallon drums. Smells the same, is the same color but is different. So placard well if you switch.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 AM
LongEZ-RG

I got these links from Phil in Wisconson.

http://www.parker.com/o-ring/fcg/fcg.asp

http://www.marcorubber.com/compatibility.htm

http://www.lubriplate.com/msds/Dexro...-%20Mercon.pdf

The one from Marco rubber is most interesting, as it provides a table that shows what o-ring materials are compatable with what fluids.

It seems like the Aircraft Hydraulic fluid and Dextron III are a very close match as far as compatable with different O-rings. They are both compatable with Buna-N-NBR.

However, the Dexron and brake fluid are totally different, They list Buna-N-NBR as marginal for brake fluid.

I'm a little closer to a final decision (it will be made the day I pour fluid in the master cylinder) of using Dexron II in the brake system.

Waiter
Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 AM

Question How to tell....

What would be the best way to figure out what is already in a system purchased, not built?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 PM

I'm trying to understand how using the same fluid in the hydro system and the brake systems makes servicing simpler? It is pretty easy to remember to grab the 5606 for brake reservior (which never needs filled unless there is a service issue) and dexron fluid for the gear reservoir.

If you figure that you might end up putting 5606 in the brakes later when you have an issue with them at a remote field, why not just use it up front? I'd carry a bottle of dexron with me for the gear reservoir, and fly with confidence knowing that any brake issues can be solved at almost any field EAA chapter, FBO or pilot shop with some 5606, no need to carry it. In my experience if the brakes need more fluid, there is a bigger issue to resolve like a leaking caliper.

The concern I'd have would be the long term issue of mixing fluids and having an unknown fluid in a critical system. I'm all for using alternative methods, but I think it would be better to stick with something that is known to work well in a brake system. If you are considering an alternative fluid, the automotive brake fluids are designed for the job. Finding it doesn't work so well could cost you significantly in future expense, frustration and time. Brake failure in an EZ isn't a fun experience. Thankfully mine happened during taxi.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 PM
LongEZ-RG

Quote:
The concern I'd have would be the long term issue of mixing fluids and having an unknown fluid in a critical system.
Exactly; Although stocking one fluid instead of two makes it simpler, this can't be the only data point in the decision. At this point, the big item I'm missing is, are they compatible with each other? What are the characteristics of a 10/90 blend, or a 50/50 blend, etc.

I normally service my brakes at home. I only had to service them one time while away. The airport was small and didn't have any services, no FBO, no one else around. Fortunately it was only 20 miles away from home so a call to my wife to pick up new o-rings, pads, and 5606 from my hangar for the repairs.

One of my downfalls (or attributes) is asking "WHY" or "HOW COME". For instance, I now fully understand why you don't want to mix Dexron and DOT3. The o-ring material used for one is not compatible with the other (they turn to gew). ALSO, at the very basic chemistry level, they don't mix or dissolve into each other.

Now, as for Dexron and 5606, What I know so far is, the o-ring materials are compatible, I can use the same o-ring for either one. I have a good feeling through experimentation that they do mix. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean they are compatible with each other, or what their new behavior will be if they do get mixed. This is the big unknown.

SO why not just stick to the original Dexron III in the gear, and 5606 in the brakes? Odds are real good, the only time they will ever get serviced is in my hangar. (Wait a minute, Swinn just asked me that!)

I guess the answer is, Why can't I.

Waiter

OH YAH - Swinn, I checked out your pix at SmugMug - Nice looking bird. :-)

Last edited by Waiter : 01-24-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: brain damage
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
LongEZ-RG

Quote:
What would be the best way to figure out what is already in a system purchased, not built?
Odds are, its 5606.

5606 and Dexron look identical but they have a unique smell and taste.

Put a small amount of Dexron and 5606 in seperate cups, and a small amout you question in another cup. compare the smells, you'll see (smell) the difference.

Waiter