Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default More "wheat" please

As we all know, this forum has included way too much chaff and very little wheat lately. There are plenty of members building, moving forward a little every day. This is what non-builders want to read about and see pictures of.

Posting pictures and descriptions of your work is good for motivation, for peer review and for educating new or prospective builders. In short - it helps everyone and is what this forum is for. Hopefully it will lead to useful on-subject discussions.

I've just added two threads showing recent [like today] progress on Chad's bird that we're working on together here in Connecticut. I'll post other pictures and progress reports as we go.

I invite other active builders to post progress reports, pictures and explanations.

We have an excellent communication medium here. Lets USE it.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 PM

Thumbs up Coil pack

AGREED.

I was gonna post some shots of my coil intall, but it did not come out well with the parts I had, so I just ordered some new parts online that will give me a much better/cleaner/prettier install. Unfortunalty the new parts will not arrive for about a week.

Hell, I will go ahead and post a couple of pix of the rejected install....y'all will see why I rejected the atempt. It would have worked, but I would have not been happy with it. I am still planning to install in the same basic location, but with a better mounting bracket and new coils that mount flat (these mounting post did not mount flat and made for a very auckward(sp?) install....yuk). We are thinking that this location is not used for anything else, is out of the way and make for short spark plug runs (thus staying out of the way of other stuff). Also, it will be easy to direct air to them to help keep 'em cool.

Also, a shoot of the fuel pumps with the last bit of aluminum hose connected. I know there is a debate of aluminum hose past the firewall, but it was my thinking it was taboo when it was going to the engine from the firewall, not from the firewall to the firewall. I do not see how this is any different from the aluminum on the other side of the firewall from the main tanks to the sumps. I believe Al Wicks freaks out at this process, but I re-read one of Tony Bingles' statments in one of his books that this process is fine. I know aluminum can melt in a fire, but so can a lot of other stuff and there is already aluminum in the engine compartment. I do think I am comfortable with it though. Hmmmmm?

All the best,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-685F.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	3374  Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-686F.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	3375  Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-690F.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3376  Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-689F.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	3377  Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-692F.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	3378  

Name:	MVC-693F.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	3379  Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-688F.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	3380  
Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber View Post
I know aluminum can melt in a fire
Maybe I'm stating the obvious or missing something, but if an Aluminium doo-dad melts in an engine fire, you have a melted hunk of aluminium in a burning engine compartment, whereas if an aluminium fuel line melts in a fire, your fire now has more fuel. Seems to me one doesn't change a really bad day much, the other increases the probability your bad day is your last day.
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Chris / Dave,
I see why you're replacing the coil mount.
I don't like the look of that oil pressure sensor in the third picture. Vibration could fatigue the neck and snap it off. I'd suggest a short flex line and a secure anchorage for that puppy.

The firewall based aluminum lines are in a cool spot where fire is unlikely to reach, given airflow. I have a similar setup and am comfortable with it. Then again, my pumps are on the other side of the firewall. You could easily shield the whole lot.

I wish I had some form of fire / flame detection though - this way I could shut off the fuel in case of [certain] fire warning.

Is it just the perspective on the picture, or is you're prop flange offset to the right by 6 inches or so?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:32 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

John,
Ask and you will receive:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	design02top_03.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	3381  Click image for larger version

Name:	Koeh-274.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	3382  

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 02-21-2007, 12:33 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

those pictures look a bit grainy

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber View Post
Also, a shoot of the fuel pumps with the last bit of aluminum hose connected. I know there is a debate of aluminum hose past the firewall, but it was my thinking it was taboo when it was going to the engine from the firewall, not from the firewall to the firewall. I do not see how this is any different from the aluminum on the other side of the firewall from the main tanks to the sumps.
Just install some sort of emergency shutoff on the interior side of the firewall and all should be fine. Even if you used stainless you should still have atleast that. Burst hoses happen, split tubing happens regardless of type.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thanks, Chrissi, for the perfect irony.
We can always trust you to hop in with something wheaty.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 AM

Great idea John,,,More Wheat and no Chaff!! Thane finally got back from Hawai after a three week vacation. We doubled down Saturday and Sunday again. Saturday we spent the day rolling up the paint booth and removing the paper and tape from the upside down plane and got it ready for the reverse flip for Sunday. We sanded a wing and had a shop visitor, Ken Larson from Ann Arbor. He has been out a few times before since last spring to talk plane building and look at the project. He's an ATC at Metro and informed us that he took the plunge and purchased a partially completed Cozy MKIV project from an older guy in Tennessee who lost his medical. Ken had a tech advisor go down there with him to look at the project and it is very well constructed and documented. The tub is on wheels and the wing cores are cut with one in the jig. He got a GREAT deal!!! He will pick it up shortly. Another builder of a Cozy in the Detroit area!! Ken helped fill a wing before he left. Sunday we sanded again, finished getting everything ready for the 4 pm flip, did that and then filled a wing, the canard, elevators, ailerons, wheel fairings, and rudders. Then I spent 10 hours Monday and 12 hours today working on my RV rudder. Its finally at the point where I am riveting it together. I spent a total 15 hours on a modification,,,adjustable rudder trim tab controlled by a Mac servo, and yes,,,,its been done before. P.S. : That push rod fairing is a custom fiberglass part. It took 4 hours to build from the time I started making the layup plug to the time I pulled it off after a two hour bake in the oven at 270*.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00014.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	3383  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00015.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	3384  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	3385  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00017.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	3386  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	3387  

Old 02-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Girrrl View Post
Distilled, they don't look two bad... hic.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.concours.org
Build status: 3 4 5 6 7
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
I wish I had some form of fire / flame detection though - this way I could shut off the fuel in case of [certain] fire warning.
I'm planning on flame detection - still years off from designing my engine installation, so maybe the technology will change, but I'm wondering, does anyone know much about these UV-detection circuits?

Example here: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R67-UVTRON.html
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingmars View Post
I'm planning on flame detection - still years off from designing my engine installation, so maybe the technology will change, but I'm wondering, does anyone know much about these UV-detection circuits?

Example here: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R67-UVTRON.html
There is a guy in my hangar at work who does plane insurance that was telling me about some of the new foam fire suppression systems they are using in high end hangars these days. They use that type of technology, but to an extreme.... You can light up a cig or a ligher and it knows that is all it is and wont set off. You can light paper on fire, and it wont set off. You can set the old lady's beehive hairdo on fire and it wont go off. However within seconds of lighting a jet fuel fire, avgas fire, hydraulic fuel fire or whichever ones it is programmed for. It starts dumping foam in the hangar. Pretty cool technology. I think i'd stick to a simple grounding loop arrangement for fire detection though. Simple, yet effective.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 AM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
However within seconds of lighting a jet fuel fire, avgas fire, hydraulic fuel fire or whichever ones it is programmed for. It starts dumping foam in the hangar.
I'd guess (just from how distinctive it looked from my burn test), that a glass-epoxy laminate would have a pretty particular spectrum signature. Program for that and avgas (or diesel, or whatever you fuel of choice is) and you could have a pretty good warning system.

Not really a fan of ground loop methods, by the time it triggers, you've already got a big enough fire to melt your insulation clean off.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingmars View Post
I'd guess (just from how distinctive it looked from my burn test), that a glass-epoxy laminate would have a pretty particular spectrum signature. Program for that and avgas (or diesel, or whatever you fuel of choice is) and you could have a pretty good warning system.

Not really a fan of ground loop methods, by the time it triggers, you've already got a big enough fire to melt your insulation clean off.
If you have any fire period your day is already ruined, but I do see your point. Catch it early and less destruction. At the same time though, ground loop systems either work, or they give you a false indication of a fire. I don't know about how you would test the UV system... light a match in the cowl or something?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Girrrl View Post
now that took a minute, lol