Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Tony Rothwell

Default Front Seat Weight

In another thread I remarked that I was a large size and could only take smallish folk for a COZY-3 ride. Dust has asked me to elaborate so here goes....

Data:
Cozy 3 with 160 HP, IO-320-D1B and MT prop plus full IFR panel and S-Tec system 50 autopilot - empty weight is 1076 pounds, battery is behind the front seat, empty C of G is at 110.35 inches (right over the main gear, virtually nil weight on the nose gear when level).

Nat has put a 340 Lb weight limit on the front seat. I have taken it upon myself to assume that is a C of G limit not a structural one. Anyway I have not fallen through the bottom yet so maybe I'm right (partially anyway).

When I built the aircraft I weighed in at about 230 Lb and my wife at about 140 for a 370 Lb load. There have been times when I have been as gross as 260 Lbs and thus with Brenda on board, have had a 400 Lb front seat load. Add clothes, headests etc for more pounds. I do confess to having carried larger people than my wife but not often or for long distances.

The aircraft is as its name says, its COZY. The same reduced cross section that gives the great perfomance also means we rub shoulders or else add a cushion behind my wife so her shoulders are in front of mine.

At 420 Lbs in the front seat, with no rear seat load and one hour's fuel, the aircraft is at 1546 Lbs and C of G is at 96.2 inches - Forward of Nat's nominated forward C of G limit of 97 inches.

The aircraft flies quite OK in this condition with the obvious trade off; it can not be fully trimmed at slow speeds, minimum flight speed is a couple of knots faster and no doubt I loose a few knots at the top end also.

We have flown about 700 hours so far including some long trips - five hours for de-fuelling the occupants is a certain person's stated endurance limit. The aircraft is sufficiently comfortable that we have done some very long distances together in the one day.

The only problem is one that surfaced recently following us using a very rough dirt strip at Caboolture near Brisbane (rough for a COZY, OK for you Cessna types!), NG-3 and 4 migrated down the nose gear strut about 3/8 of an inch. (Those are the brackets that attach the shock spring to the nosegear leg.) The AN-4 bolt was bent and the rod end bearing was, shall we say politely, at the end of its service life!!!

We both enjoy flying the COZY and leaving even the Mooney 201's behind, and love the economy that lets us fly as and when we like - but yes, the price is a small cockpit and I am still working on getting my weight down to the 200 Lbs so we can comply with Nat's design limit.

Hope this helps somebody, Cheers, Tony
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Mods or Stock???

Hey Tony

Are you referring to a stock build or did you make any modifications???

Thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Tony. And everyone take note, the mark 4 is 2 or 3 inches wider and its limit is 440 front seat, BTW tony, how tall is you and thanks for the pound conversion
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Tony Rothwell

John, I did make a few mods - the engine is an IO-320-D1B with an MT constant speed prop, Lightspeed Engineering CDI replaced on magneto, I did not build the stowage in the wing (strake) roots but ran the fuel right up to the edge of the fuselage and put a full IFR panel in. Roncz canard and concealed bell horn rudders are about the only airframe changes of significance from the basic -3.

Dust, I am about 5'11" and Brenda is maybe 5'3". She can fly the aircraft just fine but can't lift the nose on her own so one of these days we need to fit the Jack Willhelmson nose lift - but to do so I will need to move the S-Tec autopilot pitch servo and rebuild the center bit of the elevator torque tube.

Now get in there and make some more dust and get yourself flying real soon now. I gotta go back in the shed and make some dust too as I finalise a nose gear leg repair.

Cheers, Tony
Old 12-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Remember gang, this is a COZY 3 which is a few inches narrower than the cozy 4
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world