Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

i don't mean to be a pain, but i try to read each post first from my knowldge base (which is slim - heh heh heh) and how a new to the forum would read it.

gloss - what are your long ez, fixed pitch prop, airplane engine performance specs at normal weights, please define, loadings and temps. Can you operate out of a 2500 foot paved strip?

all potential long builders would like to know
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Hi Dust

Your not being a pain.
I have a standard Long EZ with a newly overhauled Lyc. 0-235-L2C

I have been in and out of 2500 ft strips with two full sized adults and 20 gallons of fuel. This puts me about 1470 lbs which is above the book value of 1425 lbs. Prop is a 62 x 62 Great American. But I learned a little trick to pop off early when the room is short.

This length is not normal but I'm comfortable with it even with reasonably hot days.
One note is that this has been at airports no higher than 2000 ft.

I would say that this is just at my minimum threshold of pain. I have never pushed the climb performance in heavy configuration. I felt if I couldn't get out then don't go in. Iv'e passed up 4000 runways not because of length but because of condition. Suffice it to say that I aways kept the canard below the horizon and could climb out at easily at 80 kts without a problem.

It would probably compare to a fully loaded MK IV with a fixed pitch 0-360 in take-off configuration but I'm not sure.

I cruise normally at 130 to 140 Kts from 2 to 5k feet not going anywhere in particular. Never been above 12,000 ft and don't care or better said never had the need to.

If I could get Waiters prop and performance (which is totally impressive) for $2,000 I would do it in a heartbeat. But, there are other things I need to get
first and I can live with what I got now.

From what I have learned from others is that these numbers are pretty average for a stock Long EZ with an O-235.

Oh by the way..... 5 gals/hour

Thanks for asking
Old 08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

one last item - rate of climb?

BTW - that is quite impressive for a 2 passenger O235

one last thing - i have the same respect for each plane, wether it was shoestringed together for 10,000 of splurged for 150,000.

that is one of the cool things about these planes - they go great, regardless on the money invested, its more about the time invested.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
I run out of coarse pitch adjustment on my IVO at about 12,000 feet and 30 inches.
Ouch! That wouldn't work for me. What model IVO is it? What is the max pitch? The model I'm looking at is 68" diameter and 45 - 105 pitch range.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 AM

I've got the 45-105, 3 blade Magnum with 76 inch diameter. Big problem is my redrive ratio is 2.2 to 1 and I only turn the engine to 4600 rpm in cruise. As long as you are turning the prop say 20% faster with the rotary, you should be able to absorb considerably more power at altitude. Too bad they don't make one with about 60-120 inches of pitch for faster aircraft as I only use just slightly fine of neutral pitch for takeoff as well. This means I never use much of the fine range at all. I run about 170 hp for takeoff.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Your's is 76 diameter. I wouldnt want to go more than 68. I have a 2.17 drive. Won't that mean I have "a lot less prop" than you? 5200 or so seems like a comfortable rpm for cruise, but I've had the fixed pitch up to 6100 at 11,000' and there was more power left if I wanted it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:23 PM

The lower diameter will hurt power absorbtion a bit but I think input hp varies as the square of the rpm. Overall it might be marginal with your power at higher altitude.