Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > For Sale, Trade, Loan or Wanted > For Sale, Commercial Sales
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Waynes door handle

Just got off the phone with Lancair - the door handle is 96.00 + a few for shipping - bought 2 - talked to vern in parts Phone: 541-923-2244

still like the banana
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Are you sure you got the 5 parts that are needed? The reason I ask is my first order on 12/14/04 seemed excessive at $104. My second purchase on 1/5/05 (for another builder) was $248 for the same parts!

I called Vern and raised cane. He did bring the price down -- a little.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I got the handle and the part the handle fits in?

Can we fab the rest?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-02-2005, 03:49 PM

I hope you got more than the handle for $95! Thats about a $5 part in materials and 20 minutes of work to fabricate.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

hi wayne - have the plans for the handle - do you have a dimension for the EL handle 3"X6" ??

thanks, love the design

oh yeah - anyone know why the safty is 301 SS - seems like any SS would work?
dust

Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 AM

Dust:

By "EL" handle I'm assuming you mean the interior handle? I remember the vertical part of the handle being 5 inches, which I may cut down to 4 inches. The more critical dimension is the top part of the L. I don't remember that one. The reason is because its length is totally dependent on how far away the rotation point of the handle is mounted from the forward latching hook. I'd have to go back and check my drawings.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a finished install yet, i'm making the parts this weekend. i also changed all the material to ss, i just don't like aluminum, the ss should wear better.

mmmmm, so yes the EL is the interior handle and yes we noticed that there was no dimension from the IP also - seems they must agree.
dust

Old 05-09-2005, 01:55 PM

I have the parts made. Won't install the latch assembly until after the filling and sanding is done on the fuselage. Email me privately....
Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

so looks to me like leaving it alone right now may be the best idea, well, onward and upward
dust

Old 02-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

mmmm do you tjink this is enough travel? for locking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010172.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	689.1 KB
ID:	1969  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010186.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	686.2 KB
ID:	1970  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010187.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	663.8 KB
ID:	1971  
dust

Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Soooooooooo - looks like i need more trvel - ideas?
dust

Old 02-06-2006, 11:16 AM

You'll need alot more travel than that. My handle rotates about 97-ish degrees before the hooks are opened enough to disengage.

Dust, I still cannot find the pin-extending cylinder lock that's shown on my web. Here's my alternate concept. It's just a 90-degree cam lock and it is installed forward of and in line with the exterior handle. The pawl engages under the bolt that holds the linkage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handle1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1990  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Well - that is much better, i was fixated on the handle.

On the locking mechanism, the lock comes with a variety of tabs, which are steel and have a SQUARE hole in them. Easy to bend in a vice with a hammer, as my pic shows, cheap and it fits the lock
dust

Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 AM

In the location shown in your pictures, the cylinder barrel is exposed. It's very near the range of motion of the control stick. I foresee it removing skin off the back of your hand during a panic-clutch-grab. Where I've shown it, the cylinder lock is hidden. It's not lethal.