Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Engine gaskets

so i have to replace my accessory case and wish to remove various parts and reinstall

should i buy the hideously expensive continental gaskets, or can i fabricate my own with cutters, hole punches etc.

Seems to me i can use more modern materials that the factory ones that were probably designed in 1956. What say yous???

I realize that the head gaskets should probably be factory - not planning to remove them
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-14-2006, 01:30 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
should i buy the hideously expensive continental gaskets, or can i fabricate my own with cutters, hole punches etc.

Seems to me i can use more modern materials that the factory ones that were probably designed in 1956. What say yous???

I realize that the head gaskets should probably be factory - not planning to remove them
Gaskets are avalible from sources other than the factory but the factory prices on gaskets are not that expensive. you dont have to worry about the head gasket as there isn't one, the head is threaded to the cylinder and and takes special tool to remove.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

After paying 9 dollars each for a washer for the engine mount - i just assume that the price will be stupidly high
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
After paying 9 dollars each for a washer for the engine mount - i just assume that the price will be stupidly high
I would call and check first before making my own. No, on second thought I would just pay what they want. Experimenting with a new high tech gasket material on a pusher engine oil system is not my idea of fun. The good thing about a pusher aircraft is if you have an oil leak, you will be able to see where you are going all the way to the crash site.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 AM
G.Norman

Your gasket is located in an easy spot for now. Not so easy (next to firewall) when installed. Take off the old one to see what it's made of . GET TORQUE SPECS for that cover. You may also need to replace the bolts at the same time.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

I have torque specs for it all and 2 new torque wrenches.

Gasket materials, just seems like aviation is in the past and maybe there are better materials available today
dust

Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 PM

some sealers are not so hot when dripped on the inside edge of a part,the little flakes get in the oil and get stuck in the oil pressure spring and can wash out the mains not that you didn't know that
but i think you are right about old v new and we could improve the OLD
with somthing NEW
Old 06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
Gasket materials, just seems like aviation is in the past and maybe there are better materials available today
From the looks of your injector system, you're absolutely right. Conti more than likely has new materials but probably not for yours. Check out the OEM then decide. It's your call.