Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM

My supercharger turns at max 52,500 at 3000 engine rpm, I'm sure a turbo turns in excess of 100-130,000 rpms and would indeed generate more heat than the supercharger. The turbo also glows red hot, connected directly to the air compressor side and will transfer a lot of heat to that side. I have run my engine to 59 in MP at 3000 rpm and have not exceeded 184o intake temp. I do not think you will do that with a turbo. Running that kind of MP on any engine will give you a 100 hour engine. My engine builder estimated that at 59 in MP at 3000 rpm on the lyc was developing 450 HP. I have a wastegate on my intake to limit my MP at low altitude to 42 in. I am experimenting with a electronic selonoid to lower my MP for low cruise to improve fuel economy.
At 10000 at 2750 I still showed 264mph.

Jack
E Racer 113
Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer113
I have run my engine to 59 in MP at 3000 rpm and have not exceeded 184o intake temp. ..... lyc was developing 450 HP.
Jack
E Racer 113
Dam - you gots some power there, i would watch out for the 184 for detonation.

450 HP

You likes to be able to burn fuel

Jack - i have all the formulas worked out on a spreadsheet, would be interesting, to me, to work out the figures, do you know the ambient and altitude for that MP and temp reading? I could calculate the efficiency.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM

If we are talking about centrifugal compressors here, both the turbo and supercharger will have to turn them at about the same rpm for the same pressure ratio for the same mass flow. A T61 compressor would be turning 74,000 rpm for a 2.0 PR. Modern Garrett compressors are about 10% more efficient than the best Vortec ones.

My experiments with a 304SS backplate showed no difference in heat transfer compared to the stock aluminum Garrett one where there MUST be a difference if conduction from the turbine side was a predominant cause of charge heating.

To have a 184F CDT on a Vortec at 60 inches Ab at SL, the ambient temp would have to be around 15F. The temp sensor may not be accurate. Eve if the temps are off a bit, you are impressively cool at this PR.

The important thing is it is working well for you and the development problems are in the past. Keep us posted on the lastest developments and numbers. Very kool!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Centrifugal Blower

A year or so ago Custom Planes had an article about the pros and cons of each blower and turbo. There is a company who makes a cent. Blower kit for the 540's. As for the waste gate, I saw someone who had a good simple idea of an air limiter (choke) in front of the blower. It looked very simple just two pieces of sheet metal hinged at the top and had a scissor affect. I will try to find the issue and post more.