Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Turbo Qustions, ideas, insight (for, in this case, a rotary)

We are having some issues mounting our turbo to our 13B. The new Mistral Intake's fuel injector/fuel rail housing sticks directly out the side of the block (about 2 to 3 inches) and interfers with the stock placement of the turbo.

I was wondering if a turbo could be mounted upside down, as when I place this unit on the TO4 flange upside down I can get it to just fit, HOWEVER, this places the hot part of the turbo only about an inche (or less) from my aileron control and bracket. I am guessing this is too close due to the high temperature of the turbo unit, but don't really know.

I don't really see this as a viable option, but I am trying to find a solution.

We have two other manifolds that are made of stainless steel (both with different configurations...but niether useable). I dropped them off at a welding shop earlier today to see if they could fabricate one unit out of the parts of the two that would come together to make one useable manifold. If modifiable, I am trying to mount the flange further back on the engine to clear the aileron control and at a 90 degree anlgle to clear the fuel injectors/rail. The welding shop manager was not optomistic that his brother (the actual welder, who was not there) would be able to modify my units.

I do not want to modify the Mistral injector housing but do y'all know if there may be shorter injectors available or angled injectors? If so, as long as the function is the same, could you use a shorter one with three longer/standard ones, only one interfers with the turbo.

MR. SLADE, what turbo manifold is it you used? From you website pix it may interfere with the injectors even more but maybe I can use it to get to where I need to be.... or allow me to mount in a different way.....donno. I have not seen that particular manifold before.

Sorry that this is just a flow of concerns looking for a solution....if there is one....well, a somewhat easy one anyway.

Thanks.

All the best,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-714F.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	3435  Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-715F.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	3436  

Last edited by CBarber : 02-28-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I see your problem. Again - in a rush - just back from plane night (we're doing 2 per week - glassed the nose this evening) and no time to dig, but Im pretty sure my manifold wouldn't work. It would put the turbo right in the middle of that injectory rail. Can you use the stock primary rail and add injector bosses to the secondary pipes as in my setup and dispense with the mistral rail? Its really in a bad place. Remind me in the am for more details of my manifold.
J.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Chris,
I used a stainless steel manifold from XS-Power. It was on their Ebay store for $99. Its' very well built, weights 8 lbs and uses thick material. Here's some pictures. The last one shows how it positions the T04 turbo during a trial fitting. On second thoughts, it might work. A spacer to put the turbo further away from the engine might just get it away from the manifold. A stainless heatshield between and.....

Did you find a solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cz1012.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	3455  Click image for larger version

Name:	cz1013.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	3456  Click image for larger version

Name:	cz1015.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	3457  Click image for larger version

Name:	cz1011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	3458  

Last edited by John Slade : 03-03-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:53 AM

Chris
If you machine a 1 inch thick filler block between the manifold and the blower, would that give you enough clearance, just a thought.

Jack
E Racer 113
Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 PM

I haven't found a solution yet, however, I have been jumping around the engine doing different items, the turbo is just one. I am trying to get first start ready. The turbo is lower priority since I don't have to have it to start the engine. I need to go back and see if the welders think they can modify what I provided. Also, my friend Blain Streeter he is building an RV 7 with an Eggenfelder engine and owns an engineering Co. that is making A/C units for many aircraft makers...such as Columbia, Cirrus, Mooney, Adam and is in negotiations with Cessna, Piper and Honda Jet.....realy neat, good guy) gave me some contact info on actual fabricators.

I am still making progress. I closed up the injector ports in the rotor housing by using the Racing Beat parts today and sealed up the oil injector ports along with a little tweeking on a couple of other parts.

John, btw, the wiring diagram you provided solved my questions about my harness. Spot on. Thanks.

I am really wanting to get the engine started as until that time I kinda feel I just have a big pile of fiberglass and metal, however, once the engine is running, I actually have an airplane. Pure emotional thing, but so it goes.

All the best,

Chris
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM

You can mount the turbo in any horizontal orientation as long as the oil drain is within 30 degrees of the vertical. Shorter body EV6 type injectors are available using 14mm O-rings but the higher flow rate I can find would be marginal above 175hp unfortunately.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:22 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Chris,
You could also swap out your tangental feed housing on the turbo for a center feed one, it will move the turbo about two inches further away from the block. We just happen to have one
If you go to our web page, then CHAPTERS, then the ENGINE chapter and scroll down the first few will show you a center feed housing then lower down a tangental feed housing.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo