Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Makes you wonder how these guys build airplanes in the '80s before the internet, or even email, doesn't it? Fact is they did, and they build nice, fast reliable planes too. It's great to have the communication and exchange of ideas, but sometimes I wonder if it actually slows us down.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
LongEZ-RG

John,

What is you takeoff and cruise rpms for the engine and prop?

Waiter
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Takeoff is currently 4950/2280.
Cruise - I haven't settled on that yet. I've been lingering at around 4800/2210. The T04 turbo just came in today. Once that's installed the pedal goes to the metal.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 PM

4 years after I bought the IVO, there is still nothing else comparable in the price range so I'd do it again. For my RV10 and the higher hp, I did not feel the IVO was suitable so I ordered the MT but the price was a killer. With my luck 3 new electric C/S props will come out next year for less money!

There are many other aircraft flying the IVO. I have heard of another 2 RVs and a Glassair with a 2.5 turbo Sube. I think Keith S. with the EG33 Cozy is testing the IVO as well.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 PM

I found a few others who have used an IVO on canards: Wayne Owen/ Velocity EG33, Mark Lewellan Eze/ Conti and Tim England 4.3 Chev/ Velocity. Mark sold his plane years ago but said the IVO worked well. Anyone know anything about the other two? How is Keith S> coming along with his?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
LongEZ-RG

JOhn;
is this takeoff rpm correct, I would have thought it would be around 6000 - 7000 rpm?

Waiter
Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
is this takeoff rpm correct, I would have thought it would be around 6000 - 7000 rpm?
Sorry, Waiter. I missed this question. Yes. 4950 is my max static. AT this point the boost runs away if I try to add more throttle. Hopefully the new wastegate will correct that. I still don't think I'll get up to 6 or 7000 without using a 2.85 drive. Mines 2.17.

I did learn a new trick with the IVO this afternoon though - I've been coursening the prop a little during climb out. Of course, this lowers the rpm and, not wanting to juggle with too many things at once, I've been leaving the throttle alone or just bringing it back to the same rpm I had, and accepting the pretty respectable climb rate it gave me.

Today I tried adding more throttle incrementally as she got rolling, and more on the climb out until I was showing about 5600 rpm, then coursening the pitch. Yahoo! I reached pattern height just as I turned crosswind. Later in the flight I did a go around (why can't these people see me on approach???) and added a bit more power than I usually do. (I'd gone back to full fine on the downwind). She sailed upwards at an amazing rate and I found myself having to push quite hard to avoid busting the class C.
This prop just gets better and better.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default A shorter IVO

I recently sent my prop blades back to IVO for checking & balancing because cockpit noise had increased a lot since I did a small flox repair on two of the blades. They trimmed the ends by about an inch. I took it around the pattern this evening just before dusk. Static is now around 5300 and she lept off the runway like a scolded cat. I think there's still plenty of pitch left, so maybe the shorter IVO is better for us. I think it's now 66. I'll report how it performs at cruise later, but so far I like the change. It's also a helluva lot quieter in the cockpit now.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I recently sent my prop blades back to IVO for checking & balancing because cockpit noise had increased a lot since I did a small flox repair on two of the blades. They trimmed the ends by about an inch. I took it around the pattern this evening just before dusk. Static is now around 5300 and she lept off the runway like a scolded cat. I think there's still plenty of pitch left, so maybe the shorter IVO is better for us. I think it's now 66. I'll report how it performs at cruise later, but so far I like the change. It's also a helluva lot quieter in the cockpit now.

John,

I want to thank you for doing research for me (as well as the rest of us) and my prop decision. Despite the prior bad press that the Ivo has gotten, it seems to be a real contender. I look forward to your continuing posts on this subject.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Jeff Ray

Default Re: Installing an IVO

what is the latest on your IVO? how is it working for you?

any news to report?

thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I've been kinda busy and only put 5 or 6 hours on the plane since my earlier comment. The prop is behaving fine. Lots of power on take-off. Still don't know how it compares to the fixed pitch at high speed cruise. Fasted I've been with it so far is about 180 kts IAS at 6000'. After 3 or 4 hours the prop bolts don't move. I've never had any blade slippage. The in-flight adjust mechanism has behaved flawlessly if you don't count the loose nut in the cockpit that once failed to notice a popped breaker.

You do know it's not available for a Lycoming, right? From my experience so far I'd definately recommend it for a rotary installation.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Jeff Ray

oh yeah, i heard it is RIGHT OUT for a lyco...but according to Robert and Valerie, it might be ok for a continental...but i would certainly only use it for an "auto conversion"....

thanks for the quick update....keep us posted!!

jeff
Old 09-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff122670 View Post
it might be ok for a continental...but i would certainly only use it for an "auto conversion"....

jeff
Nope - they will not sell to a 6 cylinder 200 hp conti
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world