Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Hello from Puerto Rico

Hello everybody,

My neme is Juan Carlos, from Puerto Rico. I've been searching all over the net to find which aircraft would be the best to build. Certified Aircafts too expensive and I could only afford an old, slow two places and tha is not fun at all, specially with so many islands arround here to visit with friends. I have decided to build a Cozy MK IV or Aero Canard, by plans,(well if I got some money and could save some time I'll get a few pre built parts once in a while), But I think this model is the best for me as I would like a plane with a long range, roomy and fast. You have a great group, and I hope I can count in your wisdom from experience to hepl me if I need it some time. I also have a few ideas to share with you to see your feedback. If anybody knows somebody here in Puerto Rico that is building or have built a Cozy, please let me know. I would love to contact them and have first hand experience with one of these wonder in aviation.

We'll keep in touch...

JC
Old 08-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Hello from Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgarcia View Post
... If anybody knows somebody here in Puerto Rico that is building or have built a Cozy, please let me know.
There is one COZY builder in Puerto Rico that I know of. If you join the COZY mailing list (of which he is a member), you'll get a database of members near you.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

You should be on the Cozy mail list anyway, but you could also get this data from the Canard map - http://www.unc.edu/~gorczows/cozy.html
Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

Culebra (CPX) is out of the question. 2600 ft with a big hill right at the end of the runway on one end and the lagoon on the other. But if you do get in. The Happy Landings bar is within crawling distance of the runway. Because of the trade winds 90% of landings are over the hill. A Britten Norman Islander has a hard time with a headwind.
Vieques (VQS), Has a good runway. But the Navy likes to bomb the good beaches.
I cant think of any other islands with runways around Puerto Rico.
Man, now you got me missing sailing around the islands.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Well Culebra airport is not that bad (once you get used to it) But the beaches are just amazing, and very nice people there too. Just can't wait to have my plane ready and fly there weekly if possible.
JC
Old 08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

I use to live on Culebra. At one time I was going to take my Long-EZ there and LIME. Unfortunately The Company I had worked for found me and made me an offer I could not turn down.
Oh well perhaps when I can't fly anymore I'll take my bar stool back at The Dingy Dock, and go to Zoney to try to catch a green flash.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Juan Carlos,
It was nice talking to you. I was in Culebra two weeks ago and I really love that place. Flamenco Beach is one of the most beautiful place I ever seen. I flew once to CPX in a 172 and it wasn't ease to land. I really don't think is a good idea to fly there in a canard. The runway is not long enough.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

Here is how I had it planned. Fly over Flamenco beach at around 250 feet, at 90 knots. Over the salt marsh. Follow the road between the hill and the other hill. Then make a hard left, pray for good trade wind. Cut power. Try to land short. Roll out to end of runway. Turn right onto grass behind Happy Landings. Lower nose gear. Go to Happy Landings. Go to Banyo to get cleaned up. Get a shot of rum with a beer chaser.
Flying out of Culebra is a lot easier. However leaving is the hardest.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Hi JC,
I am in PR for a few days in Humacao. If you are close by and want to talk a little Cozy, email me.

regards Richard