Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

OK, so we missed an early change to that little pesky bulkhead that is by the instrument panel, supposed to make it an inch higher and didn't.

Went out in the shop, found original templet hank had returned, put it on new plywood drew a new curve

cut the piece on band saw
sanded piece on sander
cut ply twice as long
routed new shape on both sides of new full size templet.

Tomorrow we will align on current bulkheads, will align near perfect as bottom curve is on the current bulkhead and templet.

last week we added the required foam and fiberglass extension to the bulkhead

will route bulkhead on both planes the same and the same left and right.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui
The Fien tool also works great for cutting out the bulkheads. You will use it often during the build so it is well worth the cost.
Whether or not you use templates (I am a template person), you will need to cut the foam to specific sizes. Although not difficult, using a mat knife gives less than perfect cuts. Go to your local artists supply store and get a Logan
Series 1500 Foam cutter (abou $18.00) or equalivelent. This baby will hold a blade at 90 or 45 degrees (your selection) cuts easily, good visibility and no mess (other than the normal shedding of dust from the foam piece.) Use a straight edge or freehand it.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Here's the new - improved bulkhead templates with the extension tabs.

The tabs allow you to continue past the end with the router without damaging the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Templates.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	997  
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 11-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: bulkhead templates

pics of templets with ears
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Nice looking templates. Is there a rental policy on them?

I have both a large router and laminate trim router. I'd rather not use my nice router bits to cut cured glass however, I'd rather not have to keep buying crappy bits if they wear out quickly. Do I need to be concerned or do the bits eat the glass pretty easily?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

carbide bits last forever on the glass - trim to fat 1/16 to 1/8 with saber saw or band saw, not closer as the glass will delam, then finish with laminate trimmer with top bearing(the bearing on the shaft not the end)

CLEARLY Mark the center line and top and bottom stops for alignment, make only 1/2 templet - then when you flip it, it will be symmetrical

i love my laminate trimmer
dust

Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
No Freaking Clue!

Bearings? So I take it that you use a fence of some kind for the bearing to roll on?

WileEZ
Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Unless I misunderstood, the bearing rolls on the template
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator_edb View Post
Nice looking templates. Is there a rental policy on them?
Well they should be and probably they will be passed around once mplafleur uses them - he has been making them for a year. A little, spelled HUGE, home addition has gotten in the way of his build

mine are waiting to be used in iowa for 7 years or so now!!!
dust

Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 AM
A builder at last.

I made a video tutorial on how to use the templates. I thought it may be 5 minutes, but I'm struggling to keep it under 10 minutes.

Ya I know, I like to hear myself talk.

I should be done with the editing it in a few more days. I don't want to take time away from the build to edit it.
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings