Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
A builder at last.

Default Cuting Bulkheads with a Router & Templates VIDEO

I was introduced to this method of cutting the bulkheads by the gang at the now famous "Plane Day". I really like how clean the bulkheads turn out. The edges are perfectly square, the lines are straight, and the curved edges are gentle. Personally it makes sense to make a part over sized and then bring it down to shape.

Opponents of this method claim that is too messy and you get covered in glass dust. I'll put forth that the mess is no worse than any other wood routing. In fact the dust is probably less than I've seen on some woods. Cutting the parts outside will reduce the amount of dust to cleanup. And sure I'm covered in itching fiberglass dust, but no worse than insulating a house with fiberglass. A good soapy shower will take that away.

Here's a video demonstrating the technique from start to finish. It's 10 minutes long and about 25 megs. Enjoy!

http://www.cozy1200.com/geeklog/arti...RouterTemplate
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cuting Bulkheads with a Router & Templates VIDEO

Well done
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 PM

very cool drew
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Now, the rest of the story

Once upon a time I was building two Cozies. At first with one partner. We made the bulkheads as carefully as we could and then laid them on each other.

They were not close to being the same.

This bummed me out.

I went home and made the templates and trimmed all of the bulkheads

They were now both the same, left and right, the same. This makes it handy when attaching the bulkheads to the sides as they fit the same left and right. Otherwise they simply do not.

The next benefit is appearance. All surfaces look laser cut, i like nice looking!

The next major benefit was in trimming the ribs for the fuel tanks - they need to be trimmed during the top installation to get it level. After the bulkheads were made and fitted. It was an easy task to lay the template on the rib and angle the cut slightly and then refit to the tank for a perrrrrrrfect level - good stuff.

When it came time to cut out the windows in the turtleback, again, the templet routing method came into play. Perfect straight lines and beautiful corners.

I am not good with my hands, but, i am good with jigs and fixtures helping me.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Very well done. Now I see my problem... I was skipping the step with the spiral cut bit.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

The spiral cut bit cuts like a dream - except for my straight fluted bearing bits - i threw out the rest years ago
dust