Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default metal cutting band saw

Well, all who know me i hate not having the "right" tool. Currently i have a hack saw and a saber saw. the hack saw works good, but slow and to be truthful - i can't cut worth a darn. The saber saw works like crap. the metal, SS, is thin, 1/16 inch, and because of that the blades wear out in moments, top name blades, the few teeth that make contact just sort of immediately wear out.

So, i went on ebay and bought a cheap and i mean cheap horizontal and vertical band saw.

Once it comes, i will go to my band saw blade store and get a good bimetal blade fer it and see how it works
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: metal cutting band saw

Best tool in the shop.
RPR
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I gots the band saw, 190+70 shipping, i dont know how the chinese do it. it is fantastic

cuts alumin like it is , well, aluminum, cuts SS like it is, well - needing a quality blade, which it will get this week.

runs and cuts like a charm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=005

others sell it for 260 and one dufus had a used one for 499!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
Well, all who know me i hate not having the "right" tool.
So, you plan on using a lot of s.s. in your plane. How you going to make intricate cuts with that? For say, the shark jaws canopy latch?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Sharks teeth are done - rough cut with saw and finished with 6 inch belt sander, 12 inch disk sander, 8" grinding wheel, and carbide burr on die grinder.

Just not sure I'm gonna use em - may redesign the entire closing system for safety

Canopies have opened, i would not stand to close, but a passenger might in the heat of the moment
dust

Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Yesterday I stopped by the band saw store and had them weld me up a good bimetal blade, the one that came with the saw was already missing teeth from just a few cuts on SS.

Chatted with the store owners and they raved about and at the saw - they had one and the gears stripped out. They searched everywhere for the gears to no avail and finally gave the saw away.

The guy they gave them to came by later on and they asked about the saw, he sheepishly told them that he found the gears for 15 bucks each at a local bearing supply store. The saw is running fine for 30 bucks. Course he was a cheap SOB and only bought one gear cause the other looked fine - went right back and bought the other cause it wasn't.

Lesson learned - find the gears and keep em greased like the destructions say to do each year - i'll do it much more often. remember where to buy the gears.

It is great having local band saw, bearing and SS/aluminum/chrome moly stores!
dust