Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gifford
It looks like all the jigs are built in quadrants so you can bolt together any number for the task at hand.
yes and that is per plans - i made mine 1.5 inches bigger to accommodate the t system and changed to bolt together method to one i use allot.

if you look at all the pics, you can see why it is hard to explain to a newby how the wings are made - it really is quite a complicated/easy to use system

the bolt together method is

drill a bolt hole all the way through, drill a capturing nut hole the thickness of the nut centered on the previous hole. the size of the capturing nut hole = the short diameter of the nut. set nut on hole - insert nut into hole with a hammer

i have never had them fail and never have to look for the nuts, no man wants to lose his nuts
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-21-2005, 01:51 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
set nut on hole - insert nut into hole with a hammer
The manager of my R&D department was Romanian (in a Japanese company?) He was proud of his heritage; "They once ran a quite famous test in our country to test the intelligence of our policemen, most of whom were also secret police and loyal party members, it involved an ingenious IQ test device we imported from the USA, it featured colored pegs of different shapes and a board with holes of different shapes with matching colors. We have no idea why they made such fuss out of this test, we are proud to report we have 100% success in our police broken into two catagories, first, 50% were very smart, second, 50% were very strong!"
His lament was that our manufacturing department was staffed by "strong policemen"
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

i was expecting a comment from you, but not on that part of my post.

the hex in circle really goes well and they always center perfectly. have used it in pine, plywood, maple, oak and walnut
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

the secret to the "T" system

Plywood is not straight, heck neither is most wood

it is easy to make a 3 inch, 8 foot piece of parallel plywood 3 inches wide on a table saw.

it is easy to make two of them

when you groove the center of one and tongue the edge of another and then glue the two together - whalla - you have a very straight piece of wood

the secrete is in the "T"
dust

Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dusts tee system

good stuff wing builders, in my unbiased opinion, should see
dust

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
No Freaking Clue!

Yes, good stuff indeed!

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I've learned quite a bit here!

WileEZ
Old 12-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

I've been thinkin about this lately and I think i can make the tee's extendable from 4 foot sections to what is need for the wing - 12 footers. This way i could ship them as needed.

Just wonderin if i should make a set of wing assembly jigs for passing around - can not imagine doin it the plans way
dust

Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
I've been thinkin about this lately and I think i can make the tee's extendable from 4 foot sections to what is need for the wing - 12 footers. This way i could ship them as needed.

Just wonderin if i should make a set of wing assembly jigs for passing around - can not imagine doin it the plans way
So, what was your thought on extending/connecting the 4-foot sections?

From the photos, it appears that you have 4-foot and 8-foot Tee lengths, I would like clarification on whether you had 12-foot Tee sections for your wing jig, especially along the trailing edge of the jig.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

well, mine were the total length of the wing alignment jigs plus an overhang of about 3 inches per side.

for me extending the tees was a simple matter in my fully equiped woodworking shop, for most not so easy.

mmmm - hank may still have them in IOWA
dust