Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default Engine installation

well, we made a table that holds the engine in the proper position, attached the headers, intake manifold, alternator, starter, BU alternator

and now to both hang the engine and the turbos without the mounts of eithor interfering.

That be the project at hand, three big tubes to each turbo, lots of tube for the mount, all basically in the same location.

can't wait to get er done, went to chrome moly warehouse, got the plate and tube for the turbo mounting, went to the mild steel warehouse and picked the same tube in mild steel for 1/10 the price to prototype the mounting.

another fine mess i've got myself into, heh heh heh
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Engine installation

ifin you dont give us some photo's, we will be forced to call your mom !
Old 09-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Finally, the engine mount is tacked and ready for almost final welding.

The almost final is after the turbos are plumbed we can then add a few gussets.

Had two structural engineers review it, GOOD TO GO.

Ain't life sweet some days
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Finally, the engine mount is tacked and ready for almost final welding.

The almost final is after the turbos are plumbed we can then add a few gussets.

Had two structural engineers review it, GOOD TO GO.

Ain't life sweet some days
That is absolutely friggin' awesome to hear!!! One more step towards first flight!!

-- Envious in KS
Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Engine Tuner is on board, ECU and all needed attachments for spark, fuel and turbo control are being purchased.

Tomorrow the local performance plumbing supplier is coming to hanger to look at install, much plumbing is needed from 3/4 NPS,national pipe straight, to 1/8 npt for injector boss's.

Great to have assembled a team to do it all top notch.

Engine harness buddy is comin over, once ECU guy delivers parts for harness. Going to try to find replacement pins that are gold plated for all low voltage stuff.

funny lookin at upside down engine on upside down engine on upside down plane every night
dust

Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well, met with 2 groups of ecu experts tonight, great meeting around the upside down continental.

Result

Oil pan drainage for the turbos is not an option, oil in sump could foul draining, scavenge pump is way to go. Have to turn off boost automatically if pump fails, another job for ECU.

post shut down oil pump not needed, i'll sensor turbo to insure proper temp before shut down to make sure of zero coking of oil in bearing, if it becomes a problem during flight testing i'll know about it and install a post shut down pump but the fewer fittings in the oil system the better.

The fuel injectors i have are good to go.

If i ever try for a altitude record try i'll have to replumb the fuel system with SS tube, other materials commonly available will not take the temps at high altitude. -70F or so

The ECU guy is great, he is making the change to aviation flawlessly. Understands that

A. there is no "side of the road" to pull over to in case of a problem.

B. Weight is an issue

C. Easy long term replacement of parts is important.

This is not so with 1000 hp dragsters and racing boats.

The more I go over system requirements with him, the more I'm glad he floated to the top of those available locally.
dust

Last edited by Dust : 11-18-2010 at 11:26 PM.