Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up Add yourself to a Canard map

I decided to take John literally when he said someone should make a map of Cozy builders. You can see it and add yourself here:

http://www.unc.edu/~gorczows/cozy.html

A few notes:

1. Internet Explorer users may have to close IE completely and reopen to see changes made to the map. IE seems to like caching the xml file that stores all the information. Firefox users should be okay.

2. Anyone using dialup will likely have to exhibit quite a bit of patience. It does not seem Google designed their maps for dialup connections.

3. Be careful about hitting the 'Refresh' button in your browser as the Google maps stuff continuously increases the browser's memory consumption (even the main maps.google.com seems to do this).

4. I got an email today about scheduled downtime for the servers on August 10 starting at 7:30 am and lasting "2-4 hours", but otherwise it should be pretty reliable.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Gorczowski : 08-02-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

well, i did, but i don't show up - maybe it will later - great idea - thanks
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-01-2005, 08:49 PM

Hi Dust, you seem to have found a few holes in my design .

I'm not sure how you got around it, but a warning message should pop up if any of the required fields are blank. It seems you got a couple submitted without a name.

Also, the best way to enter the latitude/longitude is to click on the map. Otherwise, they should be entered as normal decimal numbers (39.1234). South latitudes and west longitudes are negative. I'll update the instructions on the site to reflect this.

Everyone who has tried entering their information up to now should currently be visible, except Dust.

I'd be curious if you got any warning message boxes Dust, and if not, what browser you're using. Anyway, thanks for being a good beta tester (nothing worse than testers saying "I can't find anything wrong").

Kevin
Old 08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gorczowski
Hi Dust, you seem to have found a few holes in my design .

I'm not sure how you got around it, but a warning message should pop up if any of the required fields are blank. It seems you got a couple submitted without a name.
safari web browser

tried to submit again - error in edit - password did not match and then i added me again - don't apear to be showing up - but i really like the idea

i filled in all the fields except the chapter - too lazy to go look it up - the arm rest one
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world

Last edited by Dust : 08-01-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

How bout callin it a canard map, or a canard/forum map - don't want to leave out rvsjguy?

i'm on the map
dust

Old 08-01-2005, 11:17 PM

It sounds like there is a compatibilty issue with safari, although I'm not sure from which end and I don't own a mac.

I can see your marker now; maybe you used a different browser to make it. Safari is said to be compatible with Google maps, but other developers do seem to still have a few issues. For the time being, it looks like people will have to stick to IE or Firefox for creating/editing markers.

Can you at least see your marker in Safari now? Because it's definitely in the list correctly and shows up fine in Firefox and IE. If you can see it now, Safari users should at least be able to view the map, if not add markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
i filled in all the fields except the chapter - too lazy to go look it up - the arm rest one
This shouldn't matter as it's optional. But leaving the required fields blank will very likely cause it to disappear.

Kevin
Old 08-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Excellent, Kevin. Thanks for taking up the baton.

Just in case anyone hasn't realized it, you can zoom in and place you're pointer with an accuracy of 10 feet or so. Amazing. Mine is right outside my hangar door.
Quote:
How bout callin it a canard map, or a canard/forum map - don't want to leave out rvsjguy?
Good idea. Perhaps we should rename the thread "Put yourself on the map". Mike - I think this map deserves a direct link from the main page.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Now, that is fun. Got the marker right down to the correct hangar. Hope you are accepting non-Cozy canards.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 AM

I certainly don't care if other canard types want to add themselves, not that I'm in any position to dictate anyway.

One concern is that after about 100-150 markers, it takes a few seconds for the list to be parsed and the markers displayed. During these few seconds, the browser in unresponsive and sometimes even gives a warning about a script taking up too many resources. It all still works, it's just slow. Once everything is loaded, there doesn't seem to be any difference in responsiveness.

The site www.chicagocrime.org/map/ only plots the first 100 markers in a search. Given that whoever made that site knows MUCH more about web development than I do, it seems there may not be a good way around this yet.

But, we could eventually filter by basic plane type (Cozy, Long-EZ, etc) if it gets really full.

Kevin

Edit - wrong link to chicagocrime.org
Old 08-03-2005, 11:36 AM
G.Norman

Awsome Kevin! I hope someone adds to this every day so it doesn't get lost in the forum archives. This is a great tool for guys like me that travel a lot. I never know where I'm going to be tomorrow and I'm always curious if there's any builders or flyers in the neighborhood. Anyone out there near Montreal or Newark?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Nathan Gifford

Looks good Kevin. Nice application.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Kevin - you are king - look at how many have put themselves on the map - great stuffff

i have put a permanent link to a copy of the beginnings of this post in the great threads section - so others can find it in the future

thanks again in latvian - pauldeers
dust

Old 08-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Back to square one

I think this is great!

Just mousing around though, I hit an anomaly. Will the real owner of plans #1276 please stand up?

Either my browser is hosing things up, or several geographically disparate people have plans #1276.

-- Len
Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM

uhh sorry, I couldn't remember what number I was. I am actually 1294.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM

That does seem odd. Looking at the list, I see two people with 1276, MarbleTurtle in northern Georgia and Michael Torzewski near Detroit. But I'm not sure what a Hindencozy is or if it has real plan numbers.

If you're seeing more than this, it's probably another issue.

Would anyone like some worms? There's plenty left in the can I just opened.

Kevin