Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Constant Speed Props

lookin like i may have a better, although far more costly, prop available from

constant speed props
http://www.aerocomposites.com/

Sounds like the MT is a maintenance HOG - whats the current word?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
LongEZ-RG

I have about 1400 on my MT I had some initial problems with the pitch motor, MT went over and above in making me happy. I was sent the newest version mtor and gearset at no charge. I haven't had any problems with the new motor yet.

Waiter
Old 08-10-2005, 03:30 PM

Waiter - I'm glad that you're happy with your MT prop. There have been a lot of complaints on the Velocity builder's group about the hydraulic MT's. So much so, I've decided to get a Catto to try - and to use as a spare in the event I decide to get an MT (or Aerocomposites) later and it ever has to go in for service.

The complaints have mostly been around taking a lot of damage from FOD (that has to go back to Germany for 3 months to repair), though there have been some cases of leaking seals (and one guy was required to get the "leaking seal" upgrade even though his seals didn't leak until after the upgrade), and the RPM restriction on non-counter-weighted Lycomings.

Also, as an aside, apparently once they heard that Velocity was test flying the new metal Hartzell prop MT offered a "new" blade design for them to try also (after years of saying that their prop was the best thing since sliced bread). http://www.velocityaircraft.com/Velo...ityonline.html

B
Old 08-10-2005, 06:50 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Ugh, a whole bunch of us need to poke and prod Tracy til he makes his redrives hydraulic c/s capable. I know on his page he states that the main flange shafts are(were?) already hollow to support it, so we just need to set him down in front of his workbench and threaten his RV with a can of avgas and a lighter til he puts the governor drive and oil feed in there.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
set him down in front of his workbench and threaten his RV with a can of avgas
Been tried. Doesn't work. The guy's going (and growing) as fast as he can without loosing touch with the details.

In the meantime, what's the objection to an in-flight adjustable pitch IVO Magnum for 1/4 of the price? Steve Brooks and a few others seem to be getting good results with it.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 AM

The Eggenfellner guys are using a lot of electric MTs and report good reliability and results. Unfortunately the price is a killer. Metal C/S props are very heavy. Can you guys afford that weight? Watch the moments of inertia with these too and be sure the redrives can handle the forces involves with a 55-65 lb prop. I can't say that Tracy's drive has the best bearing setup for this compared to others out there like the Marcotte or Mistral.

I like my IVO so far. Brushes last about 35 hours. Absolutely no other problems. How is Steve getting along with his IVO? Haven't read much lately about his experiences.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
In the meantime, what's the objection to an in-flight adjustable pitch IVO Magnum for 1/4 of the price? Steve Brooks and a few others seem to be getting good results with it.
You mean besides the fact that he won't sell me one. Seriously, that might be an option for some folks, but Ivo won't sell to the larger-horsepower crowd anymore, here' the response that I got last summer - Needless to say, I didn't consider it very helpful.

'Dear Sir,
We will not be putting anymore Ivoprops on Lycoming powered aircraft.
nor Cadillac direct drive, Continental O360, O470, O520, 0540, DeltaHawk,
Jabiru 8 cylinder, Limbach, LOM, and M14P engines due to pulses
and harmonics.
Regards, www.ivoprop.com

Maybe you can get a Corvette engine instead:
www.predatoraviation.com '
Old 08-11-2005, 06:01 AM
LongEZ-RG

MT Electric weighs in at about 45 lbs. The blades are wood covered with glass. Cost in 1998 was $10,000 with all the bells and wistles, this included airfreight from Germany.

Brushes last, forever. I changed only one set at about 800 hours, and thats because I had a brand new set that were sitting in the box for a couple years.

The only pecularity is the time it takes for the pitch to change, i.e. 60 seconds from endstop to endstop. In my 1400 hours of operation, I haven't found this to be an issue. Pitch responsiveness seems to keep up with power settings with no problem.

Waiter
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 AM

An IVO prop should work just fine with a rotary engine.
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Any reports of anyone using the IVO on a Velocity XL?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

The whole idea of putting a blade under torsional load just to change its pitch doesnt sit well with me. It seems like that in order to make the blade be able to twist enough to make the pitch change you would have to sacrifice some of the strength.

I just like the idea of conventional constant speed that just turns the whole blade to adjust angle. I'd settle for an electric constant speed, but I'd prefer a hydraulic just for the increased speed that it can change pitch... plus MT offers a hydraulic one with beta range... for those times when you really want to make the first turn-off.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Dam - just don't know enough. the mt is wood core with fiberglass, the aero is a high density core with glass and carbon fiber every other layer.

Statistically speaking i have met 2 with extensive experience with an MT and one is happy but his is electric and the other is very unhappy and his is hydraulic.

Although the sample is tiny - one hydraulic and he is unhappy with very high maintenance costs, it is probably valid to assume that it is true - any one have any other experience with MT
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-11-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
The whole idea of putting a blade under torsional load just to change its pitch doesnt sit well with me.
The price sits pretty well with me though. The IVO Magnum is around $2500 vs. about $10k for the MT variety.
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 08-11-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
The whole idea of putting a blade under torsional load just to change its pitch doesnt sit well with me. It seems like that in order to make the blade be able to twist enough to make the pitch change you would have to sacrifice some of the strength.
Many helicopter rotors have no conventional hinges and flex the composite blades. Seems to work. No stress cracks on my IVO so far... The first company than produces a good $5000-$6000 C/S composite prop will have a sales backlog for years to come.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
LongEZ-RG

The only problem I had with the IVO were related to blade clamping issues. I often wonder if a reasonable manufacturing process could be established to make all three blades as a unit, thereby reducing/eliminating the clamping issues.

Waiter