Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2006, 11:40 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

I think I'll make a FLIR pod style cam to give the passenger something to play with on long flights :P
Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Nathan- You dont live in Tickfaw....you live in GUFFAH!!! I spewed my mountain dew when you said your stuffing yur oversized dachshund in yur baggage pod- I am dieing- yur killing me!!!! THAT is SO funny.P icture the little girl on the ramp with her mother-"MOmmy wHAT is that man DOING with that doggie- Mommie he is STUFFING it into the BOMB_THING! Why is that BAD mad going to bomb someone with that doggie- mommie- that is a BAAAAD MAN!!!"
What a visual...and a doggie heater as well, oh mercy!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Starting chapter 14 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gifford
After that I can put a small heater in there to keep the dachshund warm. The way she keeps eating she'll just fit...

Well.............
Having two of the little darlings myself................well...............I am just appalled,...........absolutely appalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I must get back to cleaning the fruit loops and milk off my keyboard and monitor.

Kraig

Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Berki
Well I came up with a pod that bolts on to the nose. Limo EZ
I likes it - u want HID lights - i can get them used for 50 bucks each - no filaments - fresh out of BMW, AUDI or MB wrecks, with the exciters
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-19-2006, 06:30 PM

It depends on how big the HIDs are. I thought HIDs are a source of EMI anyone know what frequency they tend to be bothersome at?

Joe Berki
Limo EZ
Old 06-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Future Cozy Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Berki
It depends on how big the HIDs are. I thought HIDs are a source of EMI anyone know what frequency they tend to be bothersome at?
Depends on the HID exciter. The aftermarket ones (noname import exciters) my sister has on her car are around 80kHz, so they'll be annoying, but are easy to filter with twisted wires. Keep them a long way away from the avionics and use a big choke of thick wire in line with the power lead and you'll be fine.

-dave
Old 06-20-2006, 12:37 AM

Just a question- whats wrong halogen lighting? No ballasts/exciterz to deal with. I am using 4 separate 55 watt halogen lights facing forward- two in the nose facing forward as landing lights and two on the strakes ends facing slightly downward as taxi lights....[the strake lights face downward a few degrees as the taxi lights to avoid the bounce/reflection off the canard. This is to be my setup.
Total of 200+ watts of illumination and no weird elec interferance or high heat buildup.
These are 48.00 a pair for off road style nicely built [read sexy/snarky] white/blue halogen lights that really blast out my garage and driveway with light. [and only two hooked up] I tried them when I was building my cell-cast acrylic nose light openings. WOW!
Looks simple to me, Hot Dang bright and readily available, easy to mount. Why the complicated HID envy? They are really HOT I think?!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I just do not like filaments, i'll see how the shielding goes

All of the lights throw off allot of heat - no diodes available yet for the landing/taxi lights

All types of lights have been used successfully

Never heard of any particular one having a heat problem.

AND they rarely get used as most flying is daylight
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
G.Norman

Good point Dennis. Can you get Halogens equally as bright and equally that small? The off road style I priced those at $400 a pair at the auto parts store. Unless you're talking the Wall Mart type which are not bright enough.

I'm assuming the HID is the same as Xenon type?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit
Good point Dennis. Can you get Halogens equally as bright and equally that small? The off road style I priced those at $400 a pair at the auto parts store. Unless you're talking the Wall Mart type which are not bright enough.

I'm assuming the HID is the same as Xenon type?
I didnt do a side by side test- What I did do was hook them up to my 12 volt converter and that night and just two of em[not the four I will install] rivaled my mecedes' headlights...which light seemed fantastically powerful to me. I guess I am thinking that my choice so far exceeds the plans design that it is a completly moot point.[at least to me]. Sometimes in the quest for figuring all the tweeks a guy can do to the working plans design- everybody gets all worked up about 'possible improvments'[me included]...espeshally the guys who arent building and just farting around with hypothetical ideas that get everybody new to building confused.[its the nature of a plans buit plane. If you want to look for something amazingly brighter then it probably is out there! Have fun!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Ray V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey
Just a question- whats wrong halogen lighting? No ballasts/exciterz to deal with.
The general consensus among auto lights is that a HID light will produce “two to three times the light of halogens while using one-third less energy.” (Consumer Reports.org) I Googled this topic, and the first few pages I found reiterated the same theme.

This scenario, I assume, is the same for Creative-Air, as he offers a 35-Watt HID as a direct replacement for a 75-Watt Halogen.

Why this is somewhat important to some of us is that the HID’s produces more lumens/watt than a respective Halogen bulb. This allows us to fit a HID into a smaller profile without concerns of heat.

That said I seriously doubt the Halogen would pose a problem. HID’s are so efficient however, that they seem cool to the touch. And this would be one less thing to ever worry about if I were to stick a bulb in the wing or canard.

That said I’ll be installing halogens in the nose.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Recognition / landing lights

Don P factor, You got that R1 light working? I like the idea of using bike lights on my cozy.