Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2005, 04:53 PM
LongEZ-RG

I had an IVO on mine originally, I couldn't keep the blades on it. The main problem, according to Mr Ivo, is the large power pulses put out by the 4 Cyl aircraft engines.

Rotary engines or reduction drive engines don't exhibit these large pulses, so the IVO may indeed be a good candidate.

Keep an eye on those tapes.

Waiter
Old 10-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Probably. I've heard two stories so far. One "distant" third hand where the user had problems with it and one local, in my hangar where the user says it works fine up to a certain rpm but doesnt go higher. He need to adjust it, he says. By the way, he's flown without the CS unit for many (200+?) hours and didnt mention a problem knowing where the pitch is set. I'll ask him about it.

One problem with the CS unit is that it has a sensor that mounts next to the brushes and "looks" at the prop going by - therefore you cant fir a spinner backplate in the way.

Sounds like it is taking an optical pulse. In any case, it is giving a pulse or more per revolution, and you can probably get that info from the tach lead, p lead, flywheel or some other lead that is measuring RPM.

Too bad Airmaster (new zealand) isn't making a prop for the 200 HP range. I I had one before at the 100 HP level and it is a really well made unit whose engeneering had not been sacrificed for economy (such as no shut off at extremes etc). Unfortunately, they only had warp blades available for it. They were developing a higher HP unit, but it seems not to be available. Its cost was supposed to be somewhere beteen the IVO and MT.

I'm hoping that the IVO will fill the bill or beak-- wait --- that is on the other end of the bird. I'm thus hoping that it will fill the _ _ _, in that case.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:46 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default pitch indicator...

I would probably make a parallel timer circuit that worked from the polarity of the switch. and measured duration of the power applied. I would start from low pitch and go to high. Have a calibration button to reset the logic at the beginning and end of the cycle. Reverse the pitch and the timer would go backwards along with the indicator.
Or digitize a real time postioning device using a 0 - 10 ohm potentiometer and send it via infrared to a receptor close by....
Or a laser bounce from a reflective tape on the blade to a receptor on the inside rear of the winglet.

Or you could get fancy....
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Nathan Gifford

I'd listen first to guys already flying IVOs. I think you would like to know your prop position, but is that really essential? Something as crude as what RV6guy is using is really not that bad and pretty darn cheap too.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 10-12-2005, 08:18 PM

Lightbulb EFA vs CS

I know when flying a constant speed prop, you never know exactly where the pitch is, but the lever itself gives an indication. You never use the lever's position to determine proper pitch, it's always fine pitch for take off or landing or a combination of manifold pressure/ RPM when making the pitch (more) coarse for cruise.
But at least you can tell at a glance if you are ready for take-off or landing.

I don't think it's necessary to see an indication. But making stuff like that is what I do.
Please excuse my geekedness...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I asked Mike (Velocity flyer) about it this evening. He knew about putting an ammeter in the circuit, but never felt that he needed it. Things might be different with a turbo but right now I just dont have the room for another gauge. I'll see how it feels, then decide if need an indicator of some sort.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:41 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Come on John.... I know you have not resisted flying the thing for this long... how is it working?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I've only been getting a couple of hours a day at the hangar. Been too busy on other stuff - you know - stuff that pays for fancy new props. Haven't even started the engine.

The good news is that I just have a couple of wires to hook up and the panel will be done, then the canard can go back on, then.....
Old 10-20-2005, 10:28 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
The good news is that I just have a couple of wires to hook up and the panel will be done, then the canard can go back on, then.....
another year spent flying off the testing period *runs and ducks* I'm anxious to hear how the prop absorbs the power of a turbo rotary.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Question

John,

If'n you don't mind, I have a couple of questions. I believe you too have Tracy's B drive. Thus, when ordering your prop for a pusher, with the rotary turning one way, the redrive turning the other and it being on a pusher, what did you tell the folks at IVO you needed during your ordering?

Also, even though to date, I have paid cash for dang near all of my project, I want to get my prop. Do you know if IVO accepts credit cards? Their site does not mention it, that I can find, and every time I have called them so far, I get voice mail. (in fairness, since I am currently working graveyard shifts, my calls are very early Houston time, thus, probably too early for left cost time)

Finally, how long is your prop? The Velocity SE takes a 66 inch prop and my build buddy Dave says we need the higher pitch version.

As always, thanks.

All the best,

Chris
Old 10-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Actually I have the A drive which rotates the same way as the B but is rated for 200HP continuous, 300 occasional whereas the (later) B is rated for 300 continuous. Tracy says I'm fine, but I'm planning to upgrade to the B soon anyway. Just to finish the story for anyone reading who doesnt know this stuff, both these are 2.17 ratio. The C version is 2.8 and rotates the other way.

I told IVO it was a Cozy IV rotary with a RWD RD1A, and also told them which way the prop rotates (I had to go to the hangar to check). I think it's anti-clockwise as seen from the rear (but I'd have to go to the hangar again to check ). They recommended a 68", so I got the 68" IVO Magnum 3 blade in-flight adjustable, but not the constant speed gizmo.

Yes, they do accept credit cards. When ordering, add a couple of spare sets of brushes (@ $4 ea) and a spare brush holder.

If you can hold off a few days until Wilma passes by, I should be able to give you some flight info....

Quote:
another year spent flying off the testing period *runs and ducks*
Huh? Je ne comprend pas.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Huh? Je ne comprend pas.
Oh, my half hearted attempts at humor just fall on deaf ears.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Talking Welcome to the club...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
Oh, my half hearted attempts at humor just fall on deaf ears.
Only certain types of humor are expected here. Most goes over the head, bounces off and falls flat, or is left to die as the last post on the thread...
(I hate it when that happens) Remember, most engineers have no sense of humor that they're aware of..
Steve Parkins is about the only one who catches all the humor (strange, because as an alien, you'd think his sense of humor wouldn't be as fully developed).

But I appreciate it and "get" it. French and all.
John's British. Remember Monte Python and Benny Hill? Well, just extrapolate and he'll get it.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the offer for shelter BTW we're all mooning Wilma when she goes by as a TS

I have been waiting to offer my services to John once again (I had to wait till the sanding was over ) as a "slave". Hopefully it will be camera pointing duty!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
I would probably make a parallel timer circuit that worked from the polarity of the switch. and measured duration of the power applied. I would start from low pitch and go to high. Have a calibration button to reset the logic at the beginning and end of the cycle. Reverse the pitch and the timer would go backwards along with the indicator.
Or digitize a real time postioning device using a 0 - 10 ohm potentiometer and send it via infrared to a receptor close by....
Or a laser bounce from a reflective tape on the blade to a receptor on the inside rear of the winglet.

Or you could get fancy....
i have no idea what you just said, but it looks cool if you squint
Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

For those who are waiting for news on the IVO....

After getting some backlogged work out of the way I ran it again today. This time I was on full fine pitch. I got a static of 4500, (up from 4000) but acceleration was well down from what I'm used to with the fixed pitch prop. Basically it was spinning the prop, but not doing much of anything else. I was barely at rotation speed by the time I had to brake. Hmmm. I coursened it up by about 4 seconds (i.e about half way toward the neutral position) and tried again. 4250 rpm static and this time she accelerated much better and would have rotated a little earlier than the fixed pitch. I aborted the take-off anyway because I was about 5 psi down on the fuel pressure on one side.

Tomorrow I'll swap the pumps to see if I need a new one, or if the problem is in the lines or filter. I checked the filter recently, so I suspect the pump. I'll also install a new set of plugs - it's sweet at high rpm, but seems a little off at idle.

By the way, the IVO is smoother and quieter than the Performance prop ever was. I can't wait to see how it feels in the air.

More news when it happens....