Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
we had shock diamonds coming out of the WG pipe
Cool! This might be a way to help pay for the airplane.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Nathan Gifford

While I can easily see what problems you could have with water injection (distruption of flow due to steam generation) in the exhaust, would this lower the exhaust temps to something more reasonable?
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 12-04-2005, 09:40 PM

For an example of the male/female connections Dust is talking about, search on motorcycle "slip on" exhaust systems. Mine has an aftermarket stainless exhaust. The connections are actually held together with a tight springs instead of connection welds.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gifford
While I can easily see what problems you could have with water injection (distruption of flow due to steam generation) in the exhaust, would this lower the exhaust temps to something more reasonable?

The racers at Reno use water injection (ADI) to lower the charge temps and ward off pre-ignition. It is highly effective. The winning turbocharged Sport Class Lancair uses water injection into the cooling air stream of its Conti plus water/ methanol ADI into the compressor inlets. A rule of thumb says that for every degree drop in induction temperature and equal drop in TIT will be seen. I have never confirmed this.

Unfortunately water is heavy, but it is cheaper than fuel. Food for thought.

Another thought is with the Wankel's ability to run way lean of peak apparently, this may be the key to reducing TITs to acceptable levels and getting better SFCs.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy
The racers at Reno use water injection (ADI) to lower the charge temps and ward off pre-ignition. It is highly effective. The winning turbocharged Sport Class Lancair uses water injection into the cooling air stream of its Conti plus water/ methanol ADI into the compressor inlets.
A Conti!!! - not a lycoming - he must be nuts
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Dust, you'll be happy to know that the Contis rule the Sport class at Reno. The Lycs are far back in the distance- almost a full lap at the end of the race.

These are not your normal Contis- man do they RIP
Old 12-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well, lycoming sorta owns the N/A market and Contis sorta own the turbo market.

Lycoming are the most available - or used to be, on the used market - and few experimental builders go turbo, so Lycoming sorta owns the experimental market.

and hey - my conti is not gonna be normal either, well i guess it actually will be, up to 25000 feet anyways
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Don P-Factor

Default Alternative high temp coatings

Check out the Flame Spray website for some of the hottest thermal coatings available. No prices listed. This is a really neat process.
www.flamesprayinc.com

Last edited by Don P-Factor : 12-05-2005 at 08:00 PM. Reason: forgot to enter the web address.