Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Any insights on using a Franklin six cylinder????
Mike Watson, Velocity owner in my hangar, has 200+ hours on his Franklin 6/IVO prop and seems very happy with it.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

great stuff this forum - you want an answer yes and no - you get both - choose one

Nat had both engines to compare on the exact same plane (180 hp Lycoming and 200hp?(not sure of the rating) Franklin)

Nat did not have an adjustable prop

Ivo will sell to franklin 6 cylinder and not to a continental 6 cylinder. i think the franklin is rated by the mfg at 200 hp and the continental is 210 hp

My guess - ivo know the franklin does not produce the HP that is advertised
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-13-2006, 12:55 PM

John,
What is Mike Watson's prop diameter? Also is it in flight adjustable? Diameter question is prompted by pusher configuration.
Thanks...Jim.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Hi Jim. Welcome back

Mikes prop is the same as mine (except that it goes around the other way). Its a 68" in-flight adjustable. He also has the constant speed box, but doesnt use it much yet because it still needs calibrating in flight or something.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Yep, Dust you right

K, when I posted the question I had just finished Nat's Newsletters after he removed the Franklin. His newsletter wasn't too harsh on the Franklin, and he really liked the smoothness of it. That caught my attention.

Well, after posting, I then came across Nats entry in Marc's mailing list archive titled "Franklin (revisited)". This time he was more honest about the difficulty of installing it and the fact it really didn't live up to its potential. The installation difficulty opened my eyes.

I guess I am back to waiting for the Jabiru 5100 then.

Thanks for the insight.

P.S. I am still going to probably install a well-worn Lyc O-360 to keep it simple and proven, then move on to the Jabiru 5100 with muffler and 4 or 5-blade constant speed prop!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Found on the internet

Check this out:

http://www.batterson.net/EAA499/Issue77_8-13.pdf

I know nothing of propellers but I found received this link by e-mail...

/ Björn
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Other considerations for props

The discussion is interesting but one needs to consider other factors in a pusher configeration such as:

1. Location of center of thrust with respect to plane of wing. This determines how much of the blade cuts through the plane of the airflow of the wing and at what angle. Does this coinside with a resonence point of the blade. Need to put prop on a shaker table to locate the props natural resonance points and frequencys.

2. How much over lap of the power pulses is there. Rotarys have large over laps. Look at the power graphs in the Mazda maintenance and overhaul manuals for this information.

3. Need to compare RPMs against resonence frequencies. Propellor manufacturer should have tested prop and be able to tell you those points. Fatigue would be the problem and cause early failures if these points aren't avoided.

The main prop manufacturers spend a lot. of time testing these perameters before certifying a prop to be put on a plane. How much has IVO done? The reason they charge so much for for thier prop is to cover there a.. with insurance in case they overlooked something and guessed wrong in there design. Unfortunately this is the name of the game today. You and me who use these products are doing the testing so proceed with caution.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Phil Kriley

You will lose efficiency with a 4-blade prop. The 2-blade prop is going to be the most efficient, but the 3-blade prop gives you a little more ground clearance. I'm planning on using a 3-blade wood prop.

Question: if no muffler, how does one get heat into the plane? I planned on using a typical muffler shroud over the muffler to get heated, clean air into the cockpit. No?
Plans #1460
Chapter 9, Step 1
Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 AM

On helicopters, the rear roter prop wash interferes with the main rotor prop wash to create significant vibration and sound, somewhat similar to the rear-rotor wing wash situation for our canards.

The AH-64 Apache and Russian Mi-28 compensate for some this vibration issue by using an four blade X-configuration rear rotor with blades set at around 30 degrees to each other vice 90 degrees, so as to decouple the rear rotor pulses from the main rotor pulses.
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kriley View Post
You will lose efficiency with a 4-blade prop. The 2-blade prop is going to be the most efficient, but the 3-blade prop gives you a little more ground clearance. I'm planning on using a 3-blade wood prop.
While in theory, the fewer blades the more efficient, in practice, with well designed props, you're hard pressed to measure the difference.

Quote:
Question: if no muffler, how does one get heat into the plane?
Go read chapter 23 in your set of plans. It's all there. There's a shroud over the exhaust pipes, but no muffler.

Quote:
I planned on using a typical muffler shroud over the muffler to get heated, clean air into the cockpit. No?
No.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM
G.Norman

Anyone ever ride in one of those everglade airboats with the big V8 engine and open exhaust ? The prop drowns out the engine so much you need hear muffs. Not sure why you need mufflers.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Phil Kriley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
While in theory, the fewer blades the more efficient, in practice, with well designed props, you're hard pressed to measure the difference.

Go read chapter 23 in your set of plans. It's all there. There's a shroud over the exhaust pipes, but no muffler.

No.
Thanks Marc! I haven't opened plans book 2 yet. I know I should, but there's just so much to read that it makes my eyes glass over! I try to read ahead a chapter or two at a time just to help me understand why I'm doing what I'm doing at the moment. Some studying is in order...
Plans #1460
Chapter 9, Step 1
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
1 blade prop is most effecient - but - have to make your own
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-22-2007, 02:46 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
1 blade prop is most effecient - but - have to make your own
I just ran across this last night!!! Don't have to make your own single blade prop...it's available from Kato High perf propz..
Check it out..

Yeaaa, baby, yeaaa ultra Effffisient technology...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	single blade prop.bmp
Views:	122
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	3518  

Last edited by Dennis Passey : 03-22-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: picture not included
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Crash

The single thumper. Alisport makes a selflaunched sailplane with a single paddle. Others do too. Pretty cool if you ask me. Not that you did, of course. Then again, I am thinking maybe folding four paddle. Being a little german, I like the alliteration. But I like the simplicity of a single paddle with a counterweight.