Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve parkins
i tryed to down load but it stuck at 1/2 way, 3 times,?
me too... using DSL

John
Old 03-02-2006, 11:47 AM

I managed to grab a copy before he hit his quota. I'm mirroring it on my site - pound away.

http://www.lucubration.com/idling.mov
Old 03-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Hugo van den Berg

Default mirror

Another mirror can be found at http://www.xs4all.nl/~berghh/idling.mov
Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Chad put a copy on his server. Try

http://www.lucubration.com/idling.mov

Another person (Hugo Bergh?) is also mirroring, at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~berghh/idling.mov

Quote:
another one with the rotary in full song?
Yes, I'll do one of a take off as soon as I get a chance
Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
if you published the dimensions of your beast
I could do that, but no one would believe me.
Well, to borrow a phrase from another thread... quit worrying about your leg spread, put on your pants, and go flying! Taken completely out of context of course.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default The T04 Flies

After a lot of delay from out-of-town work, patio rebuilding and "cut & paste" stainless steel work on the heat shield, I can finally report that the new turbo T04 installation flies. The one issue I had on the 0.9 local flight was an erroneous EGT reading. I installed a new sensor and it's reading very low - 300F.

Boost still has a tendancy to run away above 44 MAP. I've been gradually tweaking the boost controller toward minus on each ground run, but the wastegate doesnt seem to be doing anything. So far I have about 1.5 hours ground running on the turbo. I held her at 40 MAP for take off which was more than enough to get me 80kts less than half way down the 3000' funway.

Take off accelleration seems to be a little less than with the stock turbo. There's no sign of oil or soot on the prop and the oil (recently changed) is staying "oil color". With all the stock turbos the oil went black within an hour of running.

Perhaps now, finally, the fun begins.....
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Boost still has a tendancy to run away above 44 MAP. I've been gradually tweaking the boost controller toward minus on each ground run, but the wastegate doesnt seem to be doing anything. So far I have about 1.5 hours ground running on the turbo. I held her at 40 MAP for take off which was more than enough to get me 80kts less than half way down the 3000' funway.
MMMM if the wastegate is not doing anything - how you holdin it to 40 MAP?

Glad to hear you are back to flyin
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
how you holdin it to 40 MAP?
Throttle.

I got some suggestions from the rotary list for testing the wastegate. I'll try them today.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

It took my son more than several tries to get his Turbonetics boost controller to work correctly. First, it wasn't adjusted correctly (the knob wasn't turned the correct direction), and then it was the tap off point on his manifold. He had four different tries at picking where the controller connected. Now it's working great.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 03-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Congrats John!

Usually the wastegate spring determines the lowest possible manifold pressure irregardless of what the controller does. You want a 3 or 5 lb. spring in there.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Usually the wastegate spring determines the lowest possible manifold pressure irregardless of what the controller does.
I found the problem this morning. There are two 1/8 NPT holes in the wastegate housing. One of them had a fitting on it, and I didnt notice the other one. Today I hooked up my regulator to the air line and added 5 PSI to the hole with the fitting. Nothing. I moved the fitting to the other hole and the wastegate opened instantly.

It seems one hole is for intake vacuum and the other is for manifold pressure. I was blowing where it was expecting suck. I hooked the controller in the circuit and it seems to open a little at about 10 PSI with the adjustment almost fully closed. The wastegate moves a lot slower when the controller is in circuit. I'm now wondering if I need the boost controller.

Quote:
You want a 3 or 5 lb. spring in there.
The TiAL came with a monster spring. I know this because I had to disassemble the wastegate actuator to rotate the housing and get the fitting out of the way. Reassembly involved clamps, long bolts and a lot of perseverance. I'd be suprised if it was a low as 5 lb.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I found the problem this morning. There are two 1/8 NPT holes in the wastegate housing. One of them had a fitting on it, and I didnt notice the other one. Today I hooked up my regulator to the air line and added 5 PSI to the hole with the fitting. Nothing. I moved the fitting to the other hole and the wastegate opened instantly.

It seems one hole is for intake vacuum and the other is for manifold pressure. I was blowing where it was expecting suck. I hooked the controller in the circuit and it seems to open a little at about 10 PSI with the adjustment almost fully closed. The wastegate moves a lot slower when the controller is in circuit. I'm now wondering if I need the boost controller.

The TiAL came with a monster spring. I know this because I had to disassemble the wastegate actuator to rotate the housing and get the fitting out of the way. Reassembly involved clamps, long bolts and a lot of perseverance. I'd be suprised if it was a low as 5 lb.

Yes, the upper port is for control pressure from a remote regulator or controller. The lower port is to the manifold for main source pressure. You will need a lighter spring for sure. I've got my actuator spring set for about 37-38 inches at WOT and 4000 feet MSL where I'm based. This way I don't worrry about overboosting or fiddling with the controller below 9500 feet. Power/ boost is just controlled with throttle just like with an atmo engine.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like turbos are like kids - don't come with instructions. heh heh heh rv6jguy - sounds like you have the perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect setup, can't wait for johns to match it in ease of use - keepa goin
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-07-2006, 12:06 PM

How is the TO4 working John?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

So far, so good. I've been out of town a lot and only had chance to fly it once. It seemed a little less "aggressive" than the stock unit for take-off and wanted to run away at high boost levels. Otherwise it performed fine. Since then I've replumbed the wastegate to suck rather than blow.

I hope to do some more testing over the weekend.