Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 02:15 PM
StealthTURTLE.COM

Default TurboProp Install

All,
Is there anyone here who has, or is planning an Innodyn turboprop installation?

their website here: http://www.innodyn.com/

According to their website they weigh in at 188lbs and look pretty good at a glance. With turbine reliablility and a 5000hr tbo is it worth considering?

Let's have some debate on the matter.

Nathan Wolfe
http://www.stealthturtle.com/cozy
Steady forward...!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:00 PM

30 k wow , thats a lot of clams.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Innodyne was supposed to have engines available alomst 2 years ago. The usual hollow promises. The SFCs and fuel flows are unlikely for this type of engine and the TBO is completely unproven on wing. Better than Rolls Allison and P&W after millions of hours of flight time and $$$$? Unlikely. Don't be the first to order but I wish them success. Very cool if they can do it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Nathan Gifford

One of the problems is fuel consumption. I think they advertise 11 GPH per 100 HP. That's quite a bit more than any of the other engine installations.

The Innodyne has been suggested based on the old Solar T62 turbine. It has been around for a very long time and was originally designed to be used in a one or two person helicopter for the Army.

I think the T62's max HP was 150 for this single stage, centrifugal turbine. At 150 HP makes it a tad small for the Cozy. However, possibly with the addition of an IVO it might be a little more practical, except for fuel consumption.

Since it is single stage, it is probably not suited for high altitude operations though it is probably a little more resistant to compressor stalls.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy
Innodyne was supposed to have engines available alomst 2 years ago. The usual hollow promises. The SFCs and fuel flows are unlikely for this type of engine and the TBO is completely unproven on wing. Better than Rolls Allison and P&W after millions of hours of flight time and $$$$? Unlikely. Don't be the first to order but I wish them success. Very cool if they can do it.
I second this notion. Innodyne was originally known as Affordable Turbine Power, ATP. A search of google and usenet should bring up some interesting chatter.

Dave
Old 01-29-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gifford
One of the problems is fuel consumption. I think they advertise 11 GPH per 100 HP. That's quite a bit more than any of the other engine installations.
7 gph per 100hp, but it doesn't matter, it's still vaporware until they start shipping.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I spoke with Wayne Lanza about these guys a few weeks ago. He used to represent a turbine - either them or something similar.

His advise was simple. Never EVER buy from a company that takes advanced deposits. It means they're using you're money to fund their R&D and that, all by itself, indicated that their future is shaky.

When I see Cozy fly overhead powered by an Inodyne that someone ordered, received and installed, then I'll be interested. Until then I'm very happy with my rotary.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:44 PM
StealthTURTLE.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
His advise was simple. Never EVER buy from a company that takes advanced deposits. It means they're using you're money to fund their R&D and that, all by itself, indicated that their future is shaky.
Yeah.... (think that guy from Office Space when you say that "yeah") Vaporware seems to be the general concensus both here and on the mailing list.

I thought that it was a newer Idea (last year or so). Too bad really. I always like more options....

On another note: John, Do you have a front opening canopy on your bird?

Nathan Wolfe
Cozy #1260
http://www.stealthturtle.com/cozy
Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Do you have a front opening canopy on your bird?
Nope. Standard plans side opener. I actually kinda like it. The airflow with the canopy popped is really nice. I managed to hide the front hinge by modifying the side of the fuselage slightly.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
mmmm - Greg at BM came through for me and i gave him an advance deposit. Sometimes, if you want advances in this tiny market place - you have to gamble
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world