Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2006, 11:05 PM
building IO-360 mark IV

Default ez prop on a cozy 4

hi all I recently purchased a cozy 4 project after 2 years of work on a long ez, as my better half has been telling me she didn't want to ride behind me where she couldn't reach me if I do something wrong. Any way I have a few questions (1) I have a sterpa two blade 66 inch x86 pitch prop with a sabre 6 inch extention for my Io-360 lycoming can I use it on the cozy (2)dual lightspeed plasma ignition how can I route this without cutting a large hole in th firewall for the computer plug, or cutting the wires,(3) I have a linier actuater for the landing brake i bought for the ez will it work on the cozy? I know i'll have alot more to ask latter but thats all I can think of now. any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Cozy With A Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperpilot
hi all I recently purchased a cozy 4 project after 2 years of work on a long ez, as my better half has been telling me she didn't want to ride behind me where she couldn't reach me if I do something wrong. Any way I have a few questions (1) I have a sterpa two blade 66 inch x86 pitch prop with a sabre 6 inch extention for my Io-360 lycoming can I use it on the cozy (2)dual lightspeed plasma ignition how can I route this without cutting a large hole in th firewall for the computer plug, or cutting the wires,(3) I have a linier actuater for the landing brake i bought for the ez will it work on the cozy? I know i'll have alot more to ask latter but thats all I can think of now. any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Not sure about the first two questions, but number three is a definite yes. Check out John Slade's website: http://www.canardaviation.com/cozy/chap9.htm

Best Regards,
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
What is the prop and extension built for? direction of rotation? the 200 HP lyc. uses 1/2" bolts. 86 is a bit much pitch for a cozy with 200 HP most are running in the 77 /78 range, but pitch can vary between manufacturers. 86 should go 200 knots but it will take more than 200 HP to do that in a Cozy 4. the extension would be better if it was 8" long for the 200 HP engine.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
building IO-360 mark IV

thanks for the reply. the prop was built for my long ez, the engine is a HIO-360-b1A out of a helicopter I have dual electronic ignition wich should have the (HP) around 200. what I've read so far is that the cozy uses a 68x78, mine is 2 inches shorter but with more pitch (66x86).

Thanks
God Bless
Scott
Old 07-03-2006, 04:41 PM
builder wannabe

Default OT, GIBs and rope

Quote:
...my better half has been telling me she didn't want to ride behind me where she couldn't reach me if I do something wrong.
haha, I had this happen to me.. my wife screamed and gripped my arm as we entered nasty turbulence in a c152.. I turned and through gritted teeth, asked her to LET GO OF THE F***ING PILOT. Thats if "entering clear-air turblence" is "doing something wrong" - usually is.. Damn c152 is like a paper cup in a storm though.. ugh..

Yes, she let go reeeeel fast. Have you ever told anyone the story about the "other" use for the axe on the floor of the plane ? Its for splitting passengers up the middle when they dont (gritted teeth) LET GO OF THE F***ING PILOT. Its almost a joke.. but not quite.. more like "tounge in cheek" I'd say - a fine line there - who can tell...

Yes all was forgiven,ish, and a valuable lesson learned for cough,all, including me as now I can see clear-air turbulence.

If she has to sit in the back, perhaps put a rope around your neck and give her both ends ? She will have complete control of the plane then, and will be able to control the g-forces quite precisely - pull for less g-force et al, release for more. If she has a good grip, unlikely you will fire her ejection seat also, so you better sort it out real fast. Gee this aviation is so much like real-life(sic) innit ?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:46 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
thanks for the reply. the prop was built for my long ez, the engine is a HIO-360-b1A out of a helicopter I have dual electronic ignition wich should have the (HP) around 200. what I've read so far is that the cozy uses a 68x78, mine is 2 inches shorter but with more pitch (66x86).

Thanks
God Bless
Scott
the difference between 66 and 68 is hard to notice, the pitch difference between 78 and 86 you will notice. most 200 hp cozys can't swing that much pitch. there is to much drag in a Cozy 4 to go 200 knots on 200 hp.Your take off performance and RPM will suffer the most. Your engine
( HIO-360 B1A ) is only rated at 180 HP at 2900 RPM for the helo if it was an airplane engine ( IO-360 B1A ) it would have 180 hp at 2700 Rpm , the cam is the difference. the electronic ignition is worth maybe 2 hp in the cruse range ( 75% power ) and maybe 1/2 hp at max rated RPM. the EI has a hotter and longer spark then a mag but the timing advance is the same at Max rated RPM ( 25 degrees BTC on your engine ). the real advantage is in cruse because the EI can advance the spark further then the 25 degrees to help in cruse performance. I know you were told more but it just ins't so, says the engine dyno. this engine has been used in Cozy 4's and would use a 66/68 by 72 to 74 pitch

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
my better half has been telling me she didn't want to ride behind me where she couldn't reach me if I do something wrong.
Behind you is the very worst place. True story follows:

I took another couple for a ride with self & wife in my Piper Cherooke. We were passing 800 feet on climbout from ISP (busy field) and passing through very mild turbulence when my friends wife, seated behind me, paniced and got me by the throat with both hands. For a few (seemed like 10 or more) seconds I had very little control. I was able to hold the column fairly still, but not much else. Her husband wrestled her hands away, I declared an emergency and requested immediate return. When asked what the problem was I said "distraught passenger". While Jim held her at bay, I did a tight pattern and landed. As a general rule I always try to put anyone who hasn't flown behind the co-pilot. He/She's dispensable.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

John,
This is exactly why I have been troubled by there being any access to controls or even rear door handles in the back seat. While I'd want a back seat passenger to be able to exit should the pilot be incapacitated, I would not want an irrational passenger pulling handles etc... well maybe.. in the case of the woman in your plane I guess I'd prefer she leave, or tell her she's free to smoke anywhere out on the wing.
We will be offering Bob Bitner's "Shark Latch" with a rear seat release option and this bothered me to the point I was thinking I needed to include a lockout pin for the pilot to prevent terminal stupidity in the back seat, something that could be pulled out when decending to pattern altitude.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 07-04-2006, 06:41 PM
building IO-360 mark IV

thanks for the replys I guess I can't use the prop , and since my engine is not going to produce the power I thought it would, can any one suggest or have a prop for sale.

Thanks
God Bless
Scott
Old 07-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
something that could be pulled out
Yea - like maybe a section of the rear floor.