Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Just plane stupid comments and conversations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 PM

I'm glad that such a simple solution is satisfactory. Just don't run it unless you are at a certain airspeed. Its another one to add to the list of things that I have to remember to do to prevent inadvertant damage to the aircraft.

Excerpt(s) from checklists:
  • Lower nose gear (to avoid damaging nose)
  • Turn off pitot heat (to avoid melting nose during taxi)
  • Lower speed brake for taxi (to prevent rocks from chipping the prop)

For me, I think I'd rather have an automatic control like an airspeed switch or a thermostatic system that prevents melting of the nose and bubbling of the paint. After I get something working and test fly it, I'll post it for those that are interested.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

It just seems to me that a better insulation material could be found

mmmm - maybe put the switch for pitot heat next to the gear and the belly board also.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
G.Norman

How about ceramic? Used on engines and in foundries. Great insulator. Get some at a craft shop. Make it to a cone shape whatever fits your plane, let it dry, take it a ceramic shop to fire it. Hmmmm...
Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ceramic sounds like a great idea - I'll work on heated pitot with ya, we can make 3, (Ima tinkin your neighbor might also like one)
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinn
For me, I think I'd rather have an automatic control like an airspeed switch or a thermostatic system that prevents melting of the nose and bubbling of the paint. After I get something working and test fly it, I'll post it for those that are interested.
Airspeed switches rely on pitot pressure. So in order to have a pressure switch to turn on your pitot heat, you need to heat your pressure switch.... if your pitot ices over and you have no pressure then you have to override your pressure switch... etc etc etc.

There are times when automation makes things more complicated then just using a checklist
Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 PM

I concur with Wayne. These airplanes are not designed to fly in ice. With a heated pitot tube and an unheated canard you will accurately know the indicated airspeed at which your iced-up canard stops flying.

If your unheated pitot tube gets iced up, set the power and get out of the ice. It is no big deal to lose airspeed anyway. Also, if you build a light aircraft and you'll have a higher stall margin and a better ability to climb out of icing conditions if you do encounter them.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
I concur with Wayne. These airplanes are not designed to fly in ice. With a heated pitot tube and an unheated canard you will accurately know the indicated airspeed at which your iced-up canard stops flying.
You're right, up to the part of IAS anyway. Seconds count when it comes to response action. The pitot can freeze and plug way before the canard stalls. I want at least one of the two to be functional.

Quote:
If your unheated pitot tube gets iced up, set the power and get out of the ice.
You sound like you know a bit about flying. Then you know about high speed stalls too.

Hey, you're from Concord? I had friends there once. Love the area (and the ladies). Had my boat on lake Norman and Baden Lake. Would love to retire there.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:35 PM

I'm probably confused, and it probably doesn't apply to experimental aircraft, but isn't a heated pitot required to file IFR?

Brett
Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjashton@vnet.net
I concur with Wayne. These airplanes are not designed to fly in ice.
Well, being a Michigander, occassional ice is picked up by everyone, it is humid here. I have chatted with experienced michigan canard pilots about it and the opinion i recieved is that the canards are no better and no worse than handling a little ice than any other non ice rated planes.

To me, leaving off the heated pitot would be like leaving off the canard counter weight ice shield. Dey both gonna go on. great to know that none of the heated pitots should be turned on in the plane while not flying in cool air, tanks Jonc
dust

Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 PM

You must be instrument rated and current to file an IFR flight plan. That's it. To fly IFR, you must have a flight plan on file and you must have an airplane equipped in accordance with 91.205.

Again, Part 91.205 doesn't list a heated pitot tube as a necessary element required for IFR flight. It only lists the instrument panel gyros, instrumentation, and radios required in addition to the VFR equipment needed.

Part 23 lists the equipment requirements, standards, and other stuff for what a standard aircraft must have. For standard aircraft, a heated pitot tube is required if it's going to be flown IFR.

Part 23 doesn't apply to experimentals. Only Part 91.205 does.

So, for experimentals the answer is NO. Unless your op limits say so because the DAR/inspector demanded it.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Great to know that none of the heated pitots should be turned on in the plane while not flying in cool air, tanks Jonc
I'm not saying they shouldnt be turned on when on the ground.. Quite the contrary, you should always check to make sure it is working before flying when there is a chance of ice. However you should not run it for prolonged periods on the ground. Run it long enough to see that it is heating up, then turn it off. Or install a shunt in the supply line to it with an ammeter.

Most people don't realize that the pitot heat has failed until it ices over on them, which is not a good time to realize it.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Gotcha - preflight
dust

Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
Gotcha - preflight
It's not "necessary" in preflight so it's your call. That bugger gets hot so you gonna' touch it like an iron? Today I'm flying. I will not be checking it. It's friggin' hot ot there!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:06 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit
It's not "necessary" in preflight so it's your call. That bugger gets hot so you gonna' touch it like an iron? Today I'm flying. I will not be checking it. It's friggin' hot ot there!
They don't instantly become hot. Infact it takes a while for them to come up to full temp. I can actually turn them on with most of the planes at work, walk out of the plane, around the wing, and up to the pitot and grab it and it is just starting to warm up. Now if you grab one that has been on for a few minutes... well... hope you used your non-dominant hand.

But yes, typically on hot days you do not need to worry... unless you fly a turboprop or jet that can make it to or above FL250. It gets mighty cold as you get high. However most of those have shunts that allow you to see the amperage the element is drawing.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Pitot Heat - Why the controversy???

Well, bought SS for the heated pitot on Sunday at my local ss warehouse and just ordered part number 0721105-9 from FBO for 30 bucks 24 volt element, the 12 volt element is 0721105-5
dust