Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2006, 10:22 AM
UFO Builder's Avatar
UFO Builder UFO Builder is offline
Determined Builder 98+18%
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Up North
Posts: 206
Default FORUM UPGRADE SCHEDULE

Since everything is running nicely, but slowly, it's now time to do a few upgrades over the next few days.

Tonight, Thursday Sept 14th, the forum will be moved to a different server which has all the latest database and features and is a "tad" faster. This will have downtime of between 30 minutes and an hour. This will enable better e-mail delivery which can be used for verifying new users and notifying existing users.

After determining the success of this move (which has been tested already), and stable again, the next step will be several upgrades to the vBulletin software itself. This is likely to be a Saturday AM update. Downtime for this update is not known. This will also enable better verification using the capcha type verification which should reduce spam, as well as quite a few new features.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

/dan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2006, 04:11 PM
SteveWrightNZ SteveWrightNZ is offline
builder wannabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Posts: 771
Default

yell if you get stuck. I'll be in ##canardians.

S
__________________
A dolphin breaths through an asshole on the top of its head. (Billy age 8)
http://canardaviationwiki.dmt.net/wi...:SteveWrightNZ
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:06 AM
UFO Builder's Avatar
UFO Builder UFO Builder is offline
Determined Builder 98+18%
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Up North
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Builder
Since everything is running nicely, but slowly, it's now time to do a few upgrades over the next few days.

Tonight, Thursday Sept 14th, the forum will be moved to a different server which has all the latest database and features and is a "tad" faster. This will have downtime of between 30 minutes and an hour. This will enable better e-mail delivery which can be used for verifying new users and notifying existing users.

After determining the success of this move (which has been tested already), and stable again, the next step will be several upgrades to the vBulletin software itself. This is likely to be a Saturday AM update. Downtime for this update is not known. This will also enable better verification using the capcha type verification which should reduce spam, as well as quite a few new features.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

/dan
AT Approx 2006 0915 0430Z (12:30 EDT) The forum will be offline for around 30 minutes for the first stage of the update.

Thanks,

/dan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:03 AM
Kumaros's Avatar
Kumaros Kumaros is offline
It's all Greek to me
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 805
Default

I suppose the forum upgrade has gone through since the URL has changed to ...forum2. The results so far have been quite disappointing, to say the least. Instead of the promised speed increase, there has been a substantial decrease, two to five times slower, admittedly subjectively. What happened?
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Dust's Avatar
Dust Dust is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 7,963
Default

forum2?

not me
__________________
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
UFO Builder's Avatar
UFO Builder UFO Builder is offline
Determined Builder 98+18%
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Up North
Posts: 206
Default

forum2 is/was a 'workaround' for anyone who has not picked up the change of IP address, either naturally or hasn't restarted their browser (windows remembers visited addresses for names for about 24 hours) and is still hitting the old machine when they type in the name. It should NOT be remembered, it is only a short-term address that will go away in a couple of days.

As far as I can tell from here, it is an improvement to overall speed at this point. I'm looking for feedback on that and anything else noticed (problems posting: pics attached and avatars have been noticed to be a problem during some previous upgrades) etc.

I'm holding on the forum software upgrade for now until we're good on this one. Right now, I could swap back to the other server in about an hour if necessary!

/dan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Marc Zeitlin Marc Zeitlin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tehachapi, CA 93561
Posts: 1,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Builder
As far as I can tell from here, it is an improvement to overall speed at this point. I'm looking for feedback on that ....
AFAICT, there's no speed difference between new/old - that is to say, it's still extremely slow as these fora go.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Kumaros's Avatar
Kumaros Kumaros is offline
It's all Greek to me
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 805
Default

What's the new address, so that we may type it in manually?
I'm really frustrated with the new speeds and idiosyncracies of the forum:
- Images take for ever to load
- The posting form takes even longer to load, if you begin typing as soon as it appears, the software begines searching for the typed in terms, total chaos!
I'm running Opera on a DSL connection, speeds had never been a problem at my end.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
JonC's Avatar
JonC JonC is offline
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 997
Default

The speed seems perfectly fine on my end.... however I cannot access the User CP.... database error.
__________________
~Nathan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
SteveWrightNZ SteveWrightNZ is offline
builder wannabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Posts: 771
Thumbs up DNS changes arrive in NZ

Dan,

the '2' is not required here now.. DNS changes have arrived.



Steve
__________________
A dolphin breaths through an asshole on the top of its head. (Billy age 8)
http://canardaviationwiki.dmt.net/wi...:SteveWrightNZ
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
John Slade's Avatar
John Slade John Slade is offline
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KWST
Posts: 3,836
Default

Quote:
AFAICT, there's no speed difference between new/old
Maybe the bottleneck's at your end.

It seems a LOT quicker to me, Dan.

Thanks for all your effort.
John
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Marc Zeitlin Marc Zeitlin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tehachapi, CA 93561
Posts: 1,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Maybe the bottleneck's at your end.
Hard to imagine, since all other web pages and many other fora do not exhibit the extreme delays involved when loading these pages. It's obviously not an intractable problem, but it is mildly annoying.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:57 PM
SteveWrightNZ SteveWrightNZ is offline
builder wannabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Posts: 771
Default

I noticed my browser is unnecessarily reloading images, such as the banner. I wonder if the browser is still getting its bearings after the changes, or there is non-caching thing set somewhere.

S
__________________
A dolphin breaths through an asshole on the top of its head. (Billy age 8)
http://canardaviationwiki.dmt.net/wi...:SteveWrightNZ
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:00 PM
UFO Builder's Avatar
UFO Builder UFO Builder is offline
Determined Builder 98+18%
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Up North
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
The speed seems perfectly fine on my end.... however I cannot access the User CP.... database error.
This one is now fixed - a code error that didn't like the new DB version. At least that was a documented bug on the support server!

Thanks

Last edited by UFO Builder : 09-15-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
UFO Builder's Avatar
UFO Builder UFO Builder is offline
Determined Builder 98+18%
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Up North
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaros
What's the new address, so that we may type it in manually?
I'm really frustrated with the new speeds and idiosyncracies of the forum:
- Images take for ever to load
- The posting form takes even longer to load, if you begin typing as soon as it appears, the software begines searching for the typed in terms, total chaos!
I'm running Opera on a DSL connection, speeds had never been a problem at my end.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
The "new" address is same as it used to be:

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/index.php


The posting form does seem to take longer to load - or more accurately - to be ready for typing. It looks like SOME pieces, not all or even most, are still being requested from the old server (which is now the warm standby) though I can't figure why ---- yet. There shouldn't be anything referring to it by address.

I'm going to try making it unavailable which MAY cause some cache servers on the net to forget it existed at the old address, but MAY cause some temporary errors.

/dan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.