Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2006, 04:21 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey View Post
When they get back to the office next week, I will give them a call. I looked at their website On Saturday.
You're right, I have not seen any 2 bladed CSP's on any canard...
Another reason may be the diameter needed on a 540. with a 540 and only two blades, you might be swinging a 72" or bigger prop to use all the HP. most pushers do use over 68" for groung clearance. CSP builder don't build many different types of blades and just change the blade length for different HP and max RPM engines.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:03 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Riley View Post
There was a Berkut builder named John Andrejeski working in the shop at SMO at the same time Dave was building the bird with the Aercomposites prop.

(BTW, for those who don't know - that airplane has a left turning engine, and a prop made originally for a tractor configuration.)

Anyway, said builder has a Catto 3 blade fixed pitch on his 540 Berkut, and I'm told he both out climbs and out runs Dave's plane.

It's strictly 3rd hand so I don't swear to it.
I have heard this too. but I have seen Dave's takeoff and don't remember ever seeing a Berkut takeoff like that with a fixed pitch prop. but I do believe the fix pitch will get better top speed. most CSP do not do as well on top speed. I have taken off in formation with Bill Ortel in his Aerocanard RG. We both have the same 200 HP engine. both retractable gear. When I use my Catto two blade speed prop and Bill uses his MT three blade he can get going faster and lift off before me by 200 feet. On top speed I will be 30 MPH faster. When Bill is using his three blade Catto we are very even on takeoff and top speed I am only 10 MPH faster. When I use my two blade Hertzler Cozy IV prop and he uses the MT the takeoff is almost the same and I still can get him on top speed by 10 MPH. After flying together for many hours I do see a slight advantage in having a CSP when you are heavy and it is hot and the runway is less then 3000 ft. We both have made it in and out of 2600 ft on a hot day and two on board but he could do it with 4 on board. that seems to be where the real difference is. If you are going to use runways under 3000 it is going to help. As for me 2600 ft is a bit short and it will be a while before I will try that again if ever.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM

Yes, I sincerely hope an EZE can out-run an Aerocanard at top speed.....
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html