FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Stop It !

day 2..........tap tap tap
I'm dying here, i feel like a cat with no place to run
how long will this last ?
can i jump off a bridge? faster
any Quitters out there ???
........................................... i miss my cigeretts.............
Old 08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Default Re: Stop It !

I never started...but it's great Steve, that you are quitting.
I commiserate with you about "quitting"...something and how difficult it is. 'specially a drug. When I gave up the sugar drug, and caffeine in a big way[and a gazzillion calories per day of fluff]...it was headache hell. But after sticking with it I'm 51 pounds lighter than last year this month.
Stick to your course! Cigarrettes were takin' money away from your build!
FWIW Quitting smoking means You'll actually be able to taste food better, so I understand!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve parkins View Post
I quit 30 years ago last Jan.
I still have dreams where I'm smoking my second cigarette. It happens about once a month and it's always the second cigarette

Hardest thing I ever did but I do realize that I am a true addict to that drug. I can't chance sneaking one 'cause that's what leads to that second cigarette.

The time I quite before that was for 1.5 years and I thought I could reward myself with just one ............. or two .......or......
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 PM

thank you for your imputts.........tap tap tap, gerrrr jidder,wow, wow ,wow. jump in all, the waters fine.......ukeface :
Old 08-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Wannabe - with plans

I always blamed my parents for my smoking, seeing them chain-smoking all the time (and gassing me in the car) when I was growing up seemed to make it natural that I use the gaspers (and drink beer) when I was 18. Not that I whinged to them about it, I just decided any kids of mine would not have the same excuse, coz they would never see me smoke. They're on the own for the beer though

Congratulations Steve, you have already achieved something, 90% of the crap is out of your system, but sadly you still have to break the addiction. I've been off the gaspers 20 years last Australia Day & you seem to doing it similar to me:

Decide to give up, rather than just regretting the cough or cost. For me it was the projected kids (first born in '89) and I objected to being slave to the drug. "It" decided when I had my next gasper, not me...

Tell people, better for the shame factor if you have publicly announced you've renounced!

Record the day, so you can always count on your fingers how long you've been off them. I picked Australia Day (Jan 26) 1987. I tried New Year twice but it didn't work, too many parties... Birthdays the same...

After that I would recommend the following:

Record your progress. I kept a 30 day 'calendar' and ticked off the days. After 30 days I bought myself something nice with the money I'd saved in that time. Which was a lot.

Do something else. Everytime I wanted a fag I'd do something else. You can't just ignore that urge. I used beer, chocolate bars & crossword puzzles, (not all of these are practical at work as an ATC). I learned to loath crossword puzzles & put on 10kg, and lost it again over the next year. Nicotine gum & patches are other options, but they weren't available for me.

If anybody else is considering giving up it is a good idea to practice saying no. I don't mean 'cutting-down-a-bit', as that is just practice at saying yes, coz you always break down and light up eventually. I gave up smoking "OP's" (Other People's), whether offered or not.

Best of luck Steve, keep up the good work! Maybe you can micro a pack of your fav's in an unobtrusive place in your Cozy as a testament to your resolve?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Good job Steve. I am a former nicotine addict myself. Stopped cold turker in October of 1986. Smoked for 18 years. One thing that got me over the rough times was the information that I was told,,,,, that no matter how bad the craving wave is for a cig,,,,the craving will go away whether you light up or not! And I can tell you that that IS a fact! They will come less frequently and less severe as time passes. I LOVED to smoke!! I missed it for years. Then last Feb, I give up drinking my beer and any other alcoholic beverage. Seems like I have given up all the bad habits I loved to do. Now I even excersize and am watching what I eat!! Good luck!!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:36 AM

thanks for the imput guys, you can't know how much it helps get me out of my head.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:41 AM

OK. i did it !

24 hours with out a cig !

its a lot harder than i ever thought, but i will not have a plane that smells.
going to bed soon. so tomorrow will be a new day and i sure hope the waves get shorter and fewer
Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
It's all Greek to me

Steve, having never been a smoker myself I cannot profess to know anything about what you are going through, I do know that all of us hope you make it through the initial rough patch and are cheering you on. My father was a chain smoker up to the age of 35 or so, then just stopped, cold turkey. He never touched it again up to the age of 87 that he passed away.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
OK. i did it !
24 hours with out a cig !
its a lot harder than i ever thought,

Wasn't for me, quit in '74, piece of cake.
First domino in the process fell when I was standing around in a dept store in NYC with a smoldering butt hanging out of my mouth just looking cool, so I thought. Along comes a young beautiful blond super-hot hippy chick with tan legs up to there and sparkling blue eyes that would take anyone's breath away. Silly me, couldn't help but check her out! To my surprise, she noticed I was gawking and over she comes. Next thing I know she's standing right in front of me with a perfect smile that I could tell was just getting ready to turn into a devilish grin. It's funny but I can still smell her perfume when I think about it. Anyway, didn't take her but a minute to change my life forever. She reached up slowly and took what was left of the Camel non filter out of my mouth, almost as if she was going to take a hit off it, then dropped it and rolled it out with her sandle, then she leaned in close to whisper in my ear. I kept cool but it wasn't easy, her fragrant hair fell over my nose and made my heart pound so hard it probably caused subliminal inspiration for the first Alien movie, then she said, "Do you have any idea how stupid you look to me smoking that cigarette? Then with a smile that would last a life time she turned away and was gone. So was my smoking habit. Cured, just like that. Lucky me.
Keep up the fight, Steve, you'll have it beat in no time.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Cozy #768

Here's my take on this subject:

Some people are physiologically addicted to nicotine. Others, are mentally addicted to nicotine (ie:habit). Still others are a mixture of both.

For those of us who are physiologically addicted to nicotine, you must get all nicotine out of your system for two months. After two months, your body remains addicted to nicotine, but gives up on “asking you for it”. Caveat: On day 59, if you have a cigarette the next day counts his day number one. That's right; you start over in your 60 day period.

My story:

In sixth grade, I was regularly stealing cigarettes at the corner drugstore, as well as sneaking Silva Thins and Lucky Strikes from Mom and Dad. 20 or so years later, I decided it was time to quit. For the next eight to 10 years I spent thousands on that goal. The patch, the gum, group hypnosis, $700 for a private in a therapist, (I found out I can't be hypnotized), guaranteed money back a version therapy (twice in one day), self-help books. You name it, I tried it.

Nothing worked.

I was in the relative prime of my life, but my lungs gurgled and wheezed like an 80 year old. Back in ‘96 or ‘97, they came out with Zyban. I immediately called my doctor and told him to put me on it. Eight days later, I stopped smoking. Period. I had no withdrawal, I didn't substitute, I didn't get mean, I didn't gain weight. Two months later, I weaned myself off the Zyban.

I am the poster child for Zyban.

It doesn't work for everyone, but it sure worked for me. But, I know if I have one cigarette, I'll be back up to a pack and a half a day in a short time.

My name is Jerry, and I'm a nicotine-aholic.
Cozy Plans #768
http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip
Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Steve, its rough at the start but so really worth it.

I quit when I was 21, found a hypnotist that sounded like James Earl Jones... I would have quit if he just told me to. Even today every time I see some person smoking or an ad for smoking it fires off the little post suggestion in my brain "no, I don't smoke"
Today I see it as so gross and nasty I could not date a guy that smokes.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Keep at it ... keep at it ... keep at it ....

Not a smoker, but chewed for many years (yeah, I know, gross). Nicorette gum was what finally worked for me ... I've heard mixed results from smokers, but maybe worth a try?

Keep at it ... keep at it ... keep at it ....

When you can't stand it, post us a note ... someone's on this board at all manner of weird hour ... at least one of us will post you back!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Ty Ty Ty all , its morning now, waves are small and short
i hope it will last for the hole day, I'm tiered of the fight (not giving up)
just wish it was behind me. if i got hit by a car and coma-ed just wake-up in 6 moths......easy, OK so that not a good idea
i got it, I'll go look for a Happy type with a golden tan
or drop the engine back in to this dumb boat and go fishing at Catalina
keep up the impute, it helps me get past the waves when i don't think i can
i will owe you all !
Old 08-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Good job Steve, keep it up!

Just stay away from dust. Remi had quit until until he met dust at RR.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif