Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Just plane stupid comments and conversations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Long EZ

Thumbs up Post Rough River 07

I just want to say that this year was so much fun and its getting better and better every year. What a motivator to get going on your project. It was fun talking to all "YOUS" guys. With the perfect weather and all the cool planes flying around and doing high speed passes and a really special really cool acro display from a highly skilled navy pilot in his beautiful vari EZ it will be tough to beat next year.

Thanks to all the guys whom setup and bought and setup the food in the tent area. DUST...your a very gracious host. Thanks to the DJ too with his nice back ground music.

NOW BACK TO WORK ON THE PLANE
Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Cozy With A Cause

Default Re: Post Rough River 07

Dittos to all the above....btw, the DJ wants to thank everyone who made him feel at home, and a huge thanks to Dan for giving me my first Cozy Mark IV ride, and letting take the contols for awhile. What an awesome plane! Now it's on to Chapter nine.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
G.Norman

John, I was afraid someone was going to hang a disco ball last week when you said what you were going to do but it was great. You really pulled it off. That system really was the icing on the cake.
Big Steve, thanks for the help from two very tired and disoriented travelers and 40+ pounds of potato salad. Can't believe you found a local who made it fresh!
Tom, maybe next year we'll get to the Moose lodge. Nevertheless, thanks to Remi the water and (the good stuff) beer flowed all weekend.
Nathan, I missed it last year but I was first in line for that fantastic chili. It is THE lunch addition we can never get enough of. Two dachshunds you say?
Kumeros, thanks for the Kahlua and the Jack and... Because of the local law, Remi and I were calling it "more cup of ice please".
Thanks to Dust for filling the truck to the top and rom for my stuff and stopping in a questionable neighborhood on the way to get 4 more cases of beer and cigars.
Thanks to all you great guys who came through on the Wiki list. The guys who came this year for the first time, please come back next year so we (I) can remember your name again.

Dust, Ed, Remi, Ryan, Rick, Big Steve, Steve, Aiman, Mike, Doug, Don, John,
We got back $400 in donations for next year's food so It's going to be a lot easier on the budget. It's truly becoming a "group driven" gathering. Sad to hear someone this year saying a lot of "I" in his speech which I'm not sure what he really did but stir things up beforehand. I bit my lip while Dust and the real heros of the event remained silent. We all know the true givers here.
Thanks for everything.

Last edited by neverquit : 10-01-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:30 AM

My brother and I drove down on saturday. Great day!!!! Thanks to Jesse Huerta and Ken Laundrie for allowing us to sit in their Cozys. That was the big mission for the day. Needed to see how tight the fit was before committing to a build. Definately a great atmosphere. Everyone was friendly and willing to answer questions. The presentations were great! Unfortuately we left about 2:00 and did not get to stick around for the hot wire demonstration. Next year we hope to be in the "builder" category and have a better chance for a actual ride. My only regret is not introducing myself to more people to put faces with the names. It was a great experience overall and hope to return next year!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Cozy With A Cause

Just thought I'd share this beautiful sunset at Rough River with everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5792.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	958.1 KB
ID:	4146  
Old 10-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Nathan Gifford

Yes it was great. A number of people from the resort even dropped by to see the goings on.

I think I'll need another 5 pound of chili next year.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
I think I'll need another 5 pound of chili next year.
Ahem! Moremuch, much more.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Nathan Gifford

Thanks for the acknowledgement. It is always nice to be appreciated. I have never asked for money, but I would love to go up with Zeitlin and have him show me what a Cozy can do (did you catch those side slips into RR?).

I had a great time including the 5:30 AM howls of that coyote pack!!!
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM

It was another great RR this year. Nice seeing everyone from CAF again and hopefully everyone from this year (plus more) will come back again.

We know any thanks given to the organization of the lunch goes to the group as a whole, and that is what counts. Thanks to everyone that contributed, especially the ones bringing the various food and drinks.

Remi, I will hate to see you go, but I'm sure I'll see you at some type of forum or mailing list. I still hold some glimmer of hope that the CAF and CZ sites can combine content and work together.
Cozy Mark IV #1032 (7/06), prepping the workshop
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Hey all,

Like last year I had a great time making new friends (way too many to list all of them), putting faces to names and seeing a ton of planes. Many thanks for those who brought beer and food.

I enjoyed the foam cutting demo that Dust gave. Cutting foam was one of the parts that I was worried about. Note the past tense. I now feel confident that I'll be able to pick up this skill along the way.

Rick, your LED strobe was very cool. It surprised me that you could get that much light using only a 9V battery.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan D. : 10-01-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

RR was a great gathering....It was great to see many here. Great to roomwith Remi. To meet some true Brothers. Great to make new friends.
Hope to be able to continue in whatever forum that emerges.As per Remi's post-The final straw came for me when I heard about dusts 'I did it'. RR was bigger than you, and is, and yet will be bigger than you.
To all I say...keep building your dream...it will become more real each day it gains shape and substance in your workshop. You CAN do it. To all who actually DO it...my utmost respect goes out to you. The more I work on my plane, the greater respect I have for all of those who stay the course and finish. God willing, I will finish also... in the meantime, I will just keep plugging along.
I have to say that,for the record..in the 20+ hours of flying with Marc this last weekend, and the several hours spent with him during the weekend...I heard him mention dust only 3 times. He didn't grind on the subject.
Oh and yea,the crosscountry flying was a blast- he's a thoughtful professional pilot. And after that amount of continuous flight- I must say the Cozy with a Lycombing in it is a enviable long-distance platform. Not a hiccup hour after hour, after hour, after hour, after hour...you get the idea.
As far as RR- As an additional afterthought I hope some of those 400 clams were given to the 3 or 4 pilots who flew 5 or six 'courtesy flights' each on Saturday. Marc didn't say anything about his 5 or six flights but at 75.00 an hour to fly a Cozy...it would have been a nice gesture to at least offer something to the courtesy pilots. If the 400. was just "stuffed inthe pocket", as reported, it just shows additional poor form,IMO.
So.... I bid you all adieu....and PM me if you wish[that is if dust allows it]as I will also no longer post here in stubbornville.
Now just a 'lurker','till the end.
Adios.
dapslp@ sbcglobal.net is my emailaddy.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey View Post
As far as RR- As an additional afterthought I hope some of those 400 clams were given to the 3 or 4 pilots who flew 5 or six 'courtesy flights' each on Saturday.
Here here! It was (it's been?) my understanding the food and stuff by the forum/builders/..., was for the benefit of the pilots. "Here, this wad of bills is for you, from the guys/gals with the silly arsed grins over there in the corner". They can do with it as they please. It won't be an equitable distribution (rough rocks), I didn't bring my cups/badges/kraut/whatever because I expected to get reimbursed.

Yes, I had a ball there too. Rode back seat in Striders VE to E-town for fuel, missed the lunch. Oh well

Like Big Steve, got a chance to try every seat in Marc's Cozy (fits just fine Marc, mucho tanks!)
Cool to see the Girrrls parts.
Jerry and ?? discussing Jack Wilhelmson's tires and nose lift parts under the canopy ("Grunt, I think call wheel, ugh").
Curt and his impromptu nose gear 'gear rotate'
Seeing the Stagger-EZ, blended winglets up close and in person, the Dragonflys (18?hp), Chris's 540...

Oh, stopped by Wicks on the way back, picked up two gallons of Pro-Set. Now to order some foam

FWIW, ORM-D products ship 'normal' ground fee, not via air though. Haz-mat products require the $20 box, which I assume can hold four one-gallon containers.

I was pleased, got a lot done, everone was an absolute joy, look forward to RR again next year... I have kraut left over

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.concours.org
Build status: 3 4 5 6 7
Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey View Post
As an additional afterthought I hope some of those 400 clams were given to the 3 or 4 pilots who flew 5 or six 'courtesy flights' each on Saturday.
We talked about this last year and it seems a no go issure, paying for a plane ride breaks the FAA rules. Do not want to go there.

The lunch is doing what it was planned for, getting people to meet and greet.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Cozy dreamer

I hate that I missed it, as I doubt I will be living this close to Falls-of-Rough again anytime soon. I ended up spending Saturday up in Ohio at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends Air show with a group of guys who will be my classmates at Air Force Officer Training School come December. Nice bunch of guys. Sunday several of us went to the National Air Force Museum in Dayton, that was AMAZING. I got to sit in the cockpit of perhaps one of the most expensive "homebuilts", TACIT BLUE (using the term homebuilt loosely), and I got to see what is undoubtedly the hugest and fastest canard ever built, the XB-70 Valkyrie (Can your Long-EZ do Mach 3?). All in all a great trip, although I wish I had been at Rough River!! The only reason I'm glad I didn't go is that I'm sure it would have made me want to build sooner! Since I'm about to start my AF career, I doubt I'll get the chance anytime soon, but who knows!

God bless,
audioflyer
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
We talked about this last year and it seems a no go issure, paying for a plane ride breaks the FAA rules. Do not want to go there.
I never take money for giving rides if I can refuse it. I have all the fun of flying, and I get to log the hours. Besides that Regs thing.

I really enjoyed my first time at RR, and my airplane performed flawlessly. The rear seal leak has gone away now that I'm back in Colorado. Gail says it must be prone to leaking only when it makes full rated power, which is only down close to Sea Level. She's pretty smart.

My A&P was amazed that I flew to Kentucky in one day. His face was just blank, as I continued to describe the RR canard event. "Kentucky the State?" he kept asking.

Canards are such fantastic airplanes!

Curt Boyll
VariEze N111JK
Boulder/Longmont, CO