Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default rehardening aluminum

well, my intake runners are soft from welding, real soft, if i were to guess, down to T0 from the original T6 that it started out as. Discovered this when i was popping holes for the flox to bond em in with, popped real easy. I then went to an unwelded piece of the tubing to compare AND A BIG DIFFERENCE IN HARDNESS.

I know that over time the T6 softened to T0 will eventually go back to about T5, but as it dents and scratches so easy now i want it back to T5 or T6 sooner rather than later.

Read, surfing the net, that 8 hours at 350F or 16 hours at 320F will harden it back to T6, but it did not mention quenching, anyone know?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Re: rehardening aluminum

Dust,

What Alloy are your parts? That sets the minimum hot soak temperature...

Quench in the stuff I found was agitation in chilled brine. Yeah, ice and salt water. Rinse in clean water immediately.

High quench ensures that the dissolved elements get trapped, and the aging that follows has some place to occur. There is lots of stuff on the web under "aluminum alloy heat treat" and "aluminum alloy age hardening".

Back to wing leveling.

Billski
Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Discussion in:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...06964&page=142

Heat Soak at 960-1075 F, an hour with the parts at this temperature is usually considered long enough;

Quench in water. This is a pretty severe quench;

350 F for 8 hours, does the precipitation.

No Quench needed from here.

Billski
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

looks like it is the 350 for 8 hours for me - with a slow cool. Just want to artificially age it back to T4 or T5 status. This also mimics the duty cycle they will be in on the engine, well not the 8 hours, but heat when stopped or ground running and then slow cool, can't see it doing any harm.

Read where the T0 losses 80% strength from the T6 condition.

T0 is REALLY soft.

The guy i got the injector bosses from, which are threaded, is really top notch, if they needed to be rehardened from scratch after welding, which is their designed purpose, to the T6 condition, he would have advised me to do it.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Just talked to tech support at a heat treat facility - 350 for 8 hours and then air slow cool will bring the material to T4 or T5, the weld will go to T? based on the percentage of parent material in it
dust

Last edited by Dust : 01-22-2009 at 03:30 PM.