Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Clickbonds, how to use

Well, I have click bonds from JD and have yet to use them. Am just about ready to and did not like just just putting them in between glass, the epoxy i/we use just does not stick to metal so i drilled 2 small holes in them.

Talked to JD about them the other day as i was pricing out new matco brakes to replace my Cleveland's and he told me that the factory sell an adhesive to use on them that is really strong, but he does not use it. He drills 4 #50 holes in them, he said some knock edges off to give grip.

Thought i was being too safety conscience, again i was not.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 AM

the girls said to clean with denatured alcohol then glue
but like you, haven't try-ed them yet
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

no hole drillin or side knocking off to stop from turning?

If you are using th company formulated adhesive that would be ok, but in my opinion, with just an epoxy holding them in place, i want a mechanical flox bedding in holes to stop them from turning, especially with lock nuts, which is about all i have or want to use.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM

I sand them and flox in place.

I have never had one turn on me.
If anything is going to turn on you, it would be your dog.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I've removed metal from the plane too many times and had it come out way too easy for comfort.

I now ALWAYS drill a couple of holes and pop in a touch of flox, simple, fast and reliable.

The process is simple, the fix if you ever do have a problem with one slipping, is not.
dust

Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

"No problems year after year. This leads us to believe we've got a good design. We don't realize that a poor design behaves the exact same way. "

Al Wick said it well.
dust

Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
"No problems year after year. This leads us to believe we've got a good design. We don't realize that a poor design behaves the exact same way. "

Al Wick said it well.
What are you talking about?

By the way, how does your methodology work with nutplates?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

"What are you talking about?"

Well, your response to me on the clickbond installation was that it works for you, just sanding and glassing in place. My reply is that altho it works for you that does not change my mind, so far it works for you, that is how i view it. No longer do i view that statement as meaning much until i learn the underlying facts. In this case the underlying facts are, metal does not stick to epoxy well and the clickbond manufacturer uses an adhesive that is way better than our laminating epoxy is. Our epoxies are designed for Laminating fiberglass, not adhesion of metal parts.

I pop holes in all metal i put into the glass or have the shape of the metal so that the edges will stop twisting forces. I sand all pieces to 200 grit and never scratch them up as many do cause that just creates weak spots. Simply put, I'm looking for mechanical strength, not adhesive strength.

MMMM, nut plates, i never install them on a circular piece of aluminum, like the base of the clickbonds are. I just installed quite a few of them for securing the fuel lines in the cabin, i took oak, routed out the wood so that the aluminum the nutplate was attached to was inset and floxed and then glassed in place.

Flox, a little dab will do ya
dust

Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
i took oak, routed out the wood so that the aluminum the nutplate was attached to was inset and floxed and then glassed in place.
There's some areas in the plans like the landing air brake where aluminum blocks are floxed in spruce ply then drilled and tapped. You can make nutplates to attach or bury in the glass and it should be okay. One example is canard tabs. There's nutplates holding them thats floxed and glassed to the bulkehead. You can use clark foam and glass scraps for some applications that's strong enough and lighter. I've been around boats all my life. I cringe using wood on a plane. It rots even buried in fiberglass. Just my 2 cents.
I drill, scrape up, or make square or jagged edges on my clickbonds. Punching a bunch of holes in the clickbond base for flox to hold is a great idea but I wouldn't say sand scratches over 250 grit will cause them to fail before the holes. I scratch them up with 30 grit sometimes. Just make sure you wash them clean before you use em'. The last click bonds I applied my way and had to move them, I needed a hammer to get them to let go. Anyway its all good. Just don't hang your engine on them. The Cozy Girrrls show a simple method to apply them. Their's is a 2 day process though. I do it all at once but first I dip the threads in candle wax. Glop on the flox, put on the glass, and hold it all in place with a c-clamp, big shtick, or masking tape. I've never found duct tape to hold anything tight for more than the time it takes for you to find something else.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
I drill, scrape up, or make square or jagged edges on my clickbonds. Punching a bunch of holes in the clickbond base for flox to hold is a great idea
That be what i said
dust

Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Just had a bunch of people advise using click bonds on a mail group. I won't use them because the threads are in the grip area.

I know i could "fix" my problem with them coming off, can't fix the problem of the threads being in the grip area.

Interesting how not one of the pundits for their use responded to that concern.

Is it cause they don't like me or have no real answer.
dust