Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which engine are you using, installing or planning on?
Continental 2 1.64%
Deltahawk 7 5.74%
Jet 2 1.64%
Lycoming 31 25.41%
Rotary 48 39.34%
Subaru 8 6.56%
Other Diesel 5 4.10%
Undecided 16 13.11%
Other Automotive 1 0.82%
LS1 V8... 405 HP 1 0.82%
Jabiru 5100 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Which engine?

I'd like to start a poll on engine choice, just to see what the numbers are.

Note that the poll will show who voted for what.

Just to keep it clear you only get 1 choice. If you're unsure, pick the one that's top of your list right now. If you'd like another engine type added, let me know.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Wow, it's 100% rotary!

Oh, it's only me.

I heard last weekend that Mazda it going to sell the RX-7 again, this time with a turbo Renesis. So it'll probably be a Renesis, turbo-normalized.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 12-14-2004, 09:19 AM

Other than the FAA registry, I would guess the CSA membership directory has the most extensive, registered list of canard flyers/builders. That directory lists the engines people are flying/building with. If you're looking for data, that would be a good place to start.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 12-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

True, but it's not on-line, and I was more interested in the members here.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 AM
N935CZ

Well...I have a plan...

Right now I want to get my Cozy finished and in the air. To install an engine other than the one shown in the plans will take a lot more time. Even with the benefit of John's experience etc etc.

What will happen is that after the Cozy is flying and debugged, I will start to get the urge to build something else.

So...

I can take my time and work on an alternative powerplant. Since I have access to lots of instrumentation and possibly a dyno.

On the other hand.....I may just fly.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

just watch the numbers and you will see the huge (hugh) following i have in the continental
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world

Last edited by Dust : 12-14-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Cozy MK IV plans #1369

Talking Hugh? Like Hughes? Howard Hughes?

Is he following you around in the (AC) Spruce Goose again?

I understand everyone's (well, ok, almost everyone's ) opinions for their engine of choice. I'd love to go with a jet or turbine-prop when they're inexpensive enough to buy and maintain!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 AM
N935CZ

If you want to go turboprop...then use a RR250-B17.

Basically it's the Rolls Royce (was Allison) helicopter engine with a prop. gearbox.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 AM
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I'd like to start a poll on engine choice, just to see what the numbers are.

Note that the poll will show who voted for what.

Just to keep it clear you only get 1 choice. If you're unsure, pick the one that's top of your list right now. If you'd like another engine type added, let me know.
Given only these choices, I would vote for the Deltahawk. Its projected price, however, puts it far out of my range. Next best choices would be salvaged modern common-rail turbo-diesels, such as the V6 TDI from the VW Touareg (225 HP, 400 lbs, 17" length), the V6 of Isuzu (177 HP) etc.
The availability and lower cost of fuel (diesel or jet-fuel), the inherent robustness of diesels, the freedom of ignition problems and the reduced fuel-burn more than make up for the slightly increased weight, which would be offset by the lower fuel needs anyway.
Just setting up my basement garage for the Aerocanard the engine will be bolted on.
After downloading the plans (thank you Jeff) and going through them quickly, I decided to stop vacillating and start building. Jeff will receive my check in early 2005.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaros
The availability and lower cost of fuel (diesel or jet-fuel)
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Yes, the Europeans like to tax avgas don't they, f horry sto, what does avgas cost?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Cozy #1056

need to add a have not choosen engine yet option. Cus I cant decide. I want a delathawk or the GAP engine but they are spendy or unavailable. right now 3 engines are in the toss up.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 PM

I'm looking SERIOUSLY at an LS1 V8... 405 HP reduced to about 300 used. Wish that was an option on the survey.

Turbine could be an option if things work out for Innodyn.

Originally thought turbo rotary. Noone seems to be running reliably though... except Greg who switched to a Jet engine. If Mazda builds a Renesis Turbo, well I probably change my mind again.

But like John and Dust both say... you don't have to worry about the engine and avionics until lonnnnngggg after you actually start building. (I've started, but I'm not gonna tell them!)
Old 12-14-2004, 02:19 PM
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Yes, the Europeans like to tax avgas don't they, f horry sto, what does avgas cost?
It's about 1,70 EUR per liter, that's more than $6 per gallon, so you should understand my diesel bias.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 12-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Nathan Gifford

I'm in the undecided category for all the obvious reasons...you need to be at that phase of construction before you commit.

Most of the engines available, except for Lycoming & Continental have a dubious support. That is to say besides getting technical help, are there reliable parts available to replace failed components? After all, you may have this plane flying for 20 years and do you want to have scrounge around for turbine and rotor parts at junk yards to keep your Mazda 13B flying?

All this could change very quickly if one of the manufacturers started rolling out large numbers of these powerplants. That will at least ensure enough health in manufacturer that will hopefully stock adequate spare parts to service their fleet.

If I had my real druthers, I would love to go with a turbine: lightweight, reliable, long-lived, high altitude performance, and great power/weight ratio. Bad side: expensive, high fuel consumption, appropriateness for low altitudes. The fact that company that makes the turbine based on the old Solar powerplant has changed hands does not inspire confidence in their longevity.

In the meantime I am watching the developments in rotary engines with keen interest. It does seem like the latest spate of problems actually might resolve some of the more serious problems of using rotary engines in a/c. Once these problems are resolved we might actually learn just how reliable these engines are and what it takes to keep them that way.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Cozy #768

Is the XP-360 considered a Lycoming?
Cozy Plans #768
http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip
Closed Thread