Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which engine are you using, installing or planning on?
Continental 2 1.64%
Deltahawk 7 5.74%
Jet 2 1.64%
Lycoming 31 25.41%
Rotary 48 39.34%
Subaru 8 6.56%
Other Diesel 5 4.10%
Undecided 16 13.11%
Other Automotive 1 0.82%
LS1 V8... 405 HP 1 0.82%
Jabiru 5100 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:49 PM

Often it seems silly the lengths some people talk about going to make their idea work. But I just keep in mind the price of fuel 'over there' and the desire for a diesel solution.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 AM

Default After a little more research .....

Anyone else looked at the Subaru engine???

I have to admit I my initial engine selection is a rotary but I'm also looking at the subaru EG33 which still produces 200+ HP at 75% power and has comparable weight deminsions to the Franklin. Under 300 pounds and successfully implimented in aircraft as is the rotary in both tractor and pusher configurations.

My reasoning here is availability and statistics.
The EG33 engine is more widely available than the rotary and newer but you loose some of the redundancy that is easier with the 13b (wonder if you can add spark plug ports?) Really wondering if there is a mag conversion for these engines ... it would seem so as both are used in racing and off road applications.
Statistically looking across the board at the engines ... the drive train seems to hold up fine ... its the devices that run the engine that always tend to be the culprit in the majority of the cases I could find. I realize there are more moving parts in the v6 EG33 vs the 13b but I'm curious if balancing and blueprinting the engine wouldn't make these just as reliable (???) as the certified power plants.

Hmmm ... well it is called experimental ... right?!?

decisions ... decisions

Anyone else looked at the Subaru engine???
Old 01-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Isn't Al Wick running one of these in his Cozy? I think he has the 4 cyl and is upgrading to the 6.

I seem to recall that Dave Domier also had one (in a different airplane type) but crash landed when the alternator belt took out the plastic timing cover and then the timing chain (this possibility could be easily fixed with a metal timing cover).

I hear they're nice engines. Perhaps not as bullet-proof as the 13b, but then.... who's firing bulets anyway. As you say, 13B redundancy (two injectors, 2 plugs per rotor) and simplicity (no valves, camshaft, pushrods, small-end bearings) is hard to beat.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Nathan Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
...Perhaps not as bullet-proof as the 13b, but then.... who's firing bullets anyway. As you say, 13B redundancy (two injectors, 2 plugs per rotor) and simplicity (no valves, camshaft, pushrods, small-end bearings) is hard to beat.
I think one of the advanatages of the Subie is that it is a little better understood in AC applications than the 13B. This is one of the reasons that some many people want you to put more time on your bird.

Ultimately, I think the Mazda rotary engine will be a good choice for Cozy, et al, installations turbocharged or not. It biggest drawback is having to either add or inject oil into the rotors.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 AM

Default One source right off ...

Phil Johnson's website is the one I read over ... he made a good stand for his decision after which I looked up the Subie EG33 on the internet ... very impressive even for a car engine in my opinion but lacking the redundancy of the 13b.

There was another that is already flying in a Cozy EG33 configuration and very recently ... don't think it was Phil though. As a matter of fact he just finished his initial 40 hrs maybe a week ago and seems very happy with the EG33. First landing was 15' short, pulled too many amps on TO after starting out with the master on overnight and popped the CB (trying to recharge the batt I think) and never caught it till it was almost to late. Did some damage to the AC but he fixed it pretty quickly per his site. I believe his 50amp CB was to low and that fix was fairly straight forward. Cooling issues seem have been around a vapor lock and the overflow cracking at the weld ... he did have a custome rad built and all seems to be going fine as I could tell ... hopefully he will post again soon.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Default I found it!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/kspreuer/Airplane.html

Not as good as John S's but pretty good ... there is another but I can't locate it right off.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Ok maybe it is the same person ...

http://www.canardzone.com/members/PhillipJohnson/
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Subaru EG33

We are installing one of these in an RV10 in twin turbo form. This is a 6 cylinder 3.3 liter, opposed engine, 265 lbs. bare longblock weight, 230hp from the factory. The 4 cylinder Subarus have demonstrated strength and reliability equal or superior the the 13B especially in turbocharged form and there are many more of these flying with 10s of thousands of hours to date. The EG33 design is very similar to the EJ series 4 cylinder engines. It uses twin crank/ cam sensors and 6 individual coils.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Hmmm...

This may sound stupid but I never considered turbo charging the EG33 ... how far along are you? What kind of info are you looking at?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Re-Member

Default Is it here, yet?

Top Pick would be Rotary Diesel..............Running on Bio-Diesel

I am lost as to which vote to cast on this poll. I would love to have a Bio-Diesel airplane, as this might help me get elected as "Mayor of Taos" ............
.....BUT............

There is a guy on our field that builds PSRU's ("Raven Redrive") for Suzuki Engines.........Realistically, that may end up being my choice.......

Many moons will pass before this Vision Quest, solidifies.
#10 Clint Rd.
Taos,NM87571 / Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.ORG "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
~ T.S.Elliot
Old 01-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Patterson
Yeah, I'll be making my own this summer...
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Perhaps this isn't so far from reality. Mistral are advertising that their rotary will be multi-fuel soon. I think it's gas or diesel. They might be thinking Jet-A but that's not far from running on any kind of oil.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default Bio disel

Saw the stuff at the State Fair. 20% soy 80% #2. Starts to jell at 20 degrees F. I would like a plane that smells like a Big Mac cooking. Costs about $2.30 a gal. Farmers get some kind of kick back.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Re-Member

Default Mazda-Man

<John Slade Asks: Does this apply to his rotary turbo????
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
Does that apply to turbos? >

Oh yeah.............You are my hero.

I still wish to put a rotary turbo in my plane, Just not sure if I can figure out all the "STUFF". By the time I get to that, I may just follow the smooth Highway you have paved.

I doubt I will be one to Experiment with engines. Automotive engines are becoming quite the norm.
#10 Clint Rd.
Taos,NM87571 / Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.ORG "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
~ T.S.Elliot
Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM

Default EG33 twin turbo Subaru

We have the engine and have fabbed a new intake manifold and Toyota alternator mount so far. Planning engine mount cradle now. Have Marcotte redrive on order now and MT C/S prop. About to start on the tail construction of the aircraft as well.

Applying all the lessons (many) learned on our 4 cylinder turbo Subaru powered RV6A which is flying now with almost 80 hours on it. We hope to see a cruise of 190-200 knots at 18,000 feet on the RV10.

I'm interested in any flight data on cooling, turbo and intercooler performance from anyone else, rotary or piston. Very interested in what John is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
This may sound stupid but I never considered turbo charging the EG33 ... how far along are you? What kind of info are you looking at?
Closed Thread