Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Turbo or Super Charging
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Why supercharge??

Had a talk with jack (Mr Eracer) and asked why a supercharger, everything i have read pointed to turbo.

his answer - simplicity. NO intercooler, no 1400 degree F pipes to worry about, no turbo coking and cooling problems, no overspinning, really good info and I think, especially with his lack of power without one(he only has 350 HP) a very good decision.

thanks jack

eyes opened again
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Nathan Gifford

Yeah, but you got a belt on the supercharger to contend with.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gifford
Yeah, but you got a belt on the supercharger to contend with.
Ok, This will be a little long but will clarify your quote. When I first started the supercharging project on my 540, I pretty much relied on the
( professionals) from Vortech Tech dept. I recievied basicly the same information from (3) different tech employees in regard to what size belt I should run on my aplication. I was told that all the corvettes, street and raceing, were running 6 grove serpintine belts with no problems. So I spend $1050.00 and had a 14 inch drive pully made for my engine. In a period of about a year, I had broken (6) belts, damaged two top cowlings, plus painting the flames back on the cowling and the professionals had no clue as to why the belts were breaking. Twice I had to send the blower back to Vortech because the main blower drive shaft had turned blue from heat. I was charged $750.00 each time to recondition the blower. After about 18 months of the BS I was given by the tech dept at Vortech, they recomended me to call their industrial division. Hello- did not know there was an industial
division. I called and and talked at length to a gentleman about my problem and this guy had all the proper facts in his head, he asked all the right questions and I gave him all my info and within a hour ansewered all of my problems. The Vortech industrial divison makes high pressure blowers, similar to a large leaf blower powered by 25 to 40 HP electric motors and guess what, driving the same blower I am using on my AC engine. He asked what type engine I was using, how many cubic inches, how much HP(Naturally asperated), RPM, MP and etc. I then asked him what size belt I should be running and without hesitation, a 10 groove belt. I asked if a 6 groove belt would work , two thumbs down. I also asked what tension should be on the belt to run it at full rpm , this was the only question he did not have a definate answer for. He suggested to use the spring loaded idler pulley for tension. I ordered a spring loaded idler knowing it would not fit but wanted to know the tension. Turned out to be 55 lbs. Initially when I talked to Vortech I had asked them how tight should the belt be. The answer was, you should be able to twist the belt 1/4 of an inch side to side. If the distance between the pulleys is 8-10 incnes, No matter how tight you tighted the belt, you can twist the belt at least 90o. If it is 2 inches distance, you can twist it 1/2 in. Those were the type answers i recieved from the professionals. If I had not contacted the industrial guy, I would still be pulling my hair out.
During my conversation with the industrial guy, I asked him how long these belts in his application, under full rpm continuously last. He has units in the field with more than (9000) hours on the belts and still going strong. This is the same belt I am running on my supercharger know. One other note about the supercharger and belts. When I was running the 6 grove belt and when the belt broke, I would only loose 200 rpm when I was cruising at 2600 rpm, would only slow me down about 20 kts. Made a hell of a racket though.
I still like the supercharger.
Jack
E Racer 113
Old 01-20-2005, 04:52 PM

Is this your e-racer at Rough River last year? I had good pictures of the engine from Oshkosh 2003... now what did I do with those?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RR14.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	662  
Old 01-20-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleTurtle
Is this your e-racer at Rough River last year? I had good pictures of the engine from Oshkosh 2003... now what did I do with those?
You have the right one. The nice shinny aluminum plenums you have photos of are no longer. I re-designed the engine plenums to try ( and I say try) to improve cooling on # 5 & 6 cylinders. The ones I removed worked very well until I dialed in my supercharger. Depending on the weather, 6 to 12 inches tomorrow and Sat, I will try to get back in the air this week end to see if I have wasted six weeks of hard work. I will keep every one posted on the testing. I am in the process of moving, been here 18 years, what a job. I will take some photos of the new plenums if the results are successful and post them.

Jack
E Racer 113
Old 01-20-2005, 10:07 PM

I'll try to dig up pictures of the engine... not a big fan on Lycoming, but your's was finished beautifully! Hopefully the polished purple head covers are still there.

Oh, and I was the one asking about where you'r half moon doors went that fully closed the retracted wheel opening. Took pictures of those at EAA 2003 when I was searching out retract info. Not so sure retracts are worth the effort now.

Last edited by MarbleTurtle : 01-20-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:30 PM

Default big words

noobe needs to know..........plenums is a what?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:41 PM

Marble Turtle
Funny you asked about the purple valve covers. I just finished refinishing them about an hour ago, I should have been more careful makeing the new plenums. About the outer gear covers, I had them off working on the left main gear and did not have time to install and adjust them in time for RR. They will definately be on when you see the AC again. By the way, I really do think the retracts are worth the added effort. Above 200 kts, ten additional knots is hard to get and its does not take any more HP to gain the additional speed with retracts.

Jack
E Racer113
Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve parkins
noobe needs to know..........plenums is a what?
any thingy that directs or accumulates airflow.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 PM

Hello trendsetters,
No one bothered to answer the original question, so here's my 50 cents.

Using a centrifugal compressor, as used in turbo superchargers, with a belt drive from the crank, you choose a compressor size, and then choose the rpm at which you desire it to spin. Very easy mathematicaly, and easy to engineer. Only an intercooler is required if boost temperature necessitates it.

The shopping list for a turbo set up is much longer. Blow off valves, wastegates, turbine size and trim, oil lines, water cooling, air lines from inlet manifold to wastegate; etc etc. The calculations for sizing become complicated, especialy with the large variations in atmospheric pressure and temperature. Then of course you have the problems of back pressure and heat retention in the exhaust.

Altogether supercharging is a much simpler solution. The cost is fuel burn, and therefore range , but that stuff is cheap compared to the rest of it.

Hey! great new smilies
Cheers
Adam
Old 02-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default new?

Do the words Allison V12 , 1938 Ring a bell. XP-51, P-40, P-38.