Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Propellors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Question VarieZe climb prop suggestions?

Hi, I am the proud owner of N642DM, a fairly stock VarieZe with a Continental O-200A engine and a 56" x 70" 2 blade prop. Section IV of the owner's manual lists the 56 x 70 as a cruise prop. and I would like to also have a climb prop for summer / high altitude airports etc. Anybody know a good climb prop for this airframe / engine combination? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Corvair/Q2 builder

Generally you can move 4 inches finer pitch and that will increase the engines ability to swing the prop to a higher RPM. That is a rule of thumb that has worked on many other packages. There are charts and links that offer very rough Diameters and Pitch for a given HP and speed desired but if your already flying your Vari then you have an idea what your tach and airspeed are telling you now. If your 0-200 is cranking out 2750 with the throttle on the panel now I'd be careful about getting too fine on the pitch..but 70" is a pretty good bite.

Since your in Everett I bet your looking to get over the Cascades...right now it looks like you could use some skiis rather than tires over the pass!!

I learned to ski on Pilchuck and attended both Lynnwood and Arlington schools. That ought to indicate I'm an old guy now!!

Vern
Suffering in Wichita